The Economist: "Gendercide"

economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=15606229&source=most_commented

excerpt:
For those who oppose abortion, this is mass murder. For those such as this newspaper, who think abortion should be “safe, legal and rare” (to use Bill Clinton’s phrase), a lot depends on the circumstances, but the cumulative consequence for societies of such individual actions is catastrophic. China alone stands to have as many unmarried young men—“bare branches”, as they are known—as the entire population of young men in America. In any country rootless young males spell trouble; in Asian societies, where marriage and children are the recognised routes into society, single men are almost like outlaws. Crime rates, bride trafficking, sexual violence, even female suicide rates are all rising and will rise further as the lopsided generations reach their maturity

Feminists just hate men. This article basically says that abortion is OK but only if women are not the killed more than men. Are we to have abortions on a 1-1 scale? This is ridiculous. Abortion is the problem, not cultural norms. How terrible that they call abortion of female babies to be mass murder but not the same for males. Typical leftist feminist stuff.

[quote="mjs1987, post:2, topic:189576"]
Feminists just hate men. This article basically says that abortion is OK but only if women are not the killed more than men. Are we to have abortions on a 1-1 scale? This is ridiculous. Abortion is the problem, not cultural norms. How terrible that they call abortion of female babies to be mass murder but not the same for males. Typical leftist feminist stuff.

[/quote]

I'm puzzled by your comment. Nowhere does it mention feminism or that its okay to disproportionately abort males.

I understand your point that abortion is the problem, and the article does accept abortion as a given. But that doesn't make the (unnamed) author of the article a feminist.

I think cultural norms which deny girls an education, or to inherit property are a problem. Females are not less worthy than males. You don't have to be a feminist to realize that.

Are single men really a problem? I remember reading that a significant percentage of American 40 year olds (maybe it was 20%?) have never been married.

Male having no access to female is the problem, social unrest in the making.

[quote="flyingfish, post:4, topic:189576"]
Are single men really a problem? I remember reading that a significant percentage of American 40 year olds (maybe it was 20%?) have never been married.

[/quote]

Younger, unattached males have traditionally been problematic. Young men, like myself, typically have fewer roots in society: no family to take care of, no career, no property. We don't have the same things in life to make us responsible members of society. That, and biologically we're young and stupid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.