The egalitarian mercy of God?

Hello again,

Lately I’ve been doing some thinking about the mercy of God.

It seems to me that if God has mercy upon people who don’t know how to be good Catholics until their final days, or upon pious, charitable Muslims who spend their life engaged in apologetics against Christianity, or upon people who simply just don’t know any better…

…why try to be a saint?

I know we can’t speak absolutely about how God’s mercy works, but hypothetically, and based upon the teachings of the Church, and what our pastors are telling us, it seems a little unfair in way: the more knowledge you have of the Truth, the more responsible you are for adhering by it; whereas everyone else gets a “free ride.” Oh, sure, they may wind up in purgatory for 200 years due to their ignorance, but if I, knowing what I do, don’t live completely by the straight and narrow then I could just as easily wind up in purgatory for 200 years.

And the destination is the same. It may take longer for some to get there, sure, but whereas my Protestant friend can spend mornings in his bathrobe watching Joel Osteen instead of actually getting dressed up and driving to his church I’ve got to do just that – I’ve got to get dressed and go to Mass or else be guilty of a mortal sin.

I know I’m wrong about alot of this, but I’m frustrated because I do try so hard to be a good Catholic Christian…and then I see other people who chew gum during Mass, or leave immediately after communion, and other things…and I just wonder…

Perhaps you should look at things from a different perspective. What you call “obligations” are actually great privileges. The protestant guy in his bathrobe in front of the TV does not have the opportunity to receive the Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity of Jesus Christ, does he? Do you realize the great love that has been shown to you in your being part of the Catholic Church? How lucky you are to know the straight, true way to heaven? What a blessing it is to have the help of the Sacraments? The intimacy with God that is offered to you as an ordinary part of being Catholic is available to others only with difficulty.

Cultivate thanksgiving.

Betsy

Because only saints can get into Heaven.

Don’t wait until the water goes up to your nose then jump.

Egalitarian mercy true?

1. I learned in the Heart of Jesus that in heaven itself there is a heaven to which not all, but only chosen souls, have access. Incomprehensible is the happiness in which the soul will be immersed. O my God, oh, that I could describe this, even in some little degree. Souls are penetrated by His divinity and pass from brightness to brightness, an unchanging light, but never monotonous, always new though never changing. O Holy Trinity, make yourself known to souls!

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS12.shtml

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee approached him with her sons and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something. He said to her, “What do you wish?” She answered him, “Command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.” Jesus said in reply, “You do not know what you are asking. Can you drink the cup that I am going to drink?” They said to him, “We can.” He replied, "My cup you will indeed drink, but to sit at my right and at my left (, this) is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.Matthew 20:20-23

Zeitun, Egypt Marian apparitions
Anyone who wants to be great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave. implies differentiation.
youtube.com/watch?v=S_X8l9OcEDI&mode=related&search

Maybe God may give 100x in Heaven what we sacrifice, even physical intimacy.
See: The Life of St. Teresa of Avila: catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/life/teresaofavila.cfm

Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. But many that are first will be last, and (the) last will be first.” Mark 10:29-31

Scientific evidence that gratitude promotes happiness. :wink: ewtn.com/library/HUMANITY/zgratitude.HTM

To be in a club of Mother Teresa, Archbishop Oscar Romero, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, St. Louis Mary de Montfort, St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Edith Stein, St. Therese of Liseux, and St. Padre Pio for all eternity may be hot stuff :thumbsup:

We can avoid Purgatory
See Teaching of St. Therese of Liseux (Doctor of the Catholic Church) on Purgatory: franciscan-sfo.org/ap/litfwrpu.htm

Willfully neglecting God’s will in small ways may pave the way for great sin, just as venial sin may lead to mortal sin. Judas took money from the apostles long before Gethsemane. St. Padre Pio says, “Ahead! Courage! In the spiritual life he who does not advance goes backward. It happens as with a boat which always must go ahead. If it stands still the wind will blow it back.” marymediatrix.com/features/ppio/ppio3.htm

Willful disobedience may be worse than ignorant disobedience. "To him much is given, much will be expected.

St. Padre Pio, * “Who can assure us that we will be alive tomorrow? Let us listen to the voice of our conscience, to the voice of the royal prophet: “Today, if you hear God’s voice, harden not your heart.” Let us not put off from one moment to another (what we should do) because the (next moment) is not yet ours.”* padrepiodevotions.org/index.asp?pagename=wordsoffaith

unborn babies, St. Josephine Bakthia, St. Martin de Porres, Venerable Pierre Touissant, St. Edith Stein, Sr. Lucy of Fatima, His Holiness Pope John Paul II, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Liseux, St. John of the Cross, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Maria Faustina, St. Louis Mary de Montfort, St. Maximilian Maria, St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori, St. Dominic, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Francis de Sales, St. Ignatius, St. Bonaventure, St. Vincent de Paul, St. John, St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke, St. Timothy, St. Paul, St. Stephen, St. Augustine, St. Jerome, Jonah, Archangel Michael, Archangel Raphael, Archangel Gabriel, all the holy angels and saints, pray to the Mother of the Word for us!

May the Holy Spirit through the Mother of the Word grant us the graces that we most desperately need, particularly abundance of humility, patience, long-suffering, and joy! May the LOVE and MERCY of the Sacred Heart of Jesus shine in our lives, overflow within our hearts, drench the world! May the WONDERS of the Mother of the Word aid our souls!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

When I was younger, I would read that story in the Bible about the workers who were paid the same amount to work in the vineyard, but some worked all day, and others worked only 5 minutes.

I said to myself that the trick is to try and time things just perfectly so that I would only have to work 5 minutes…

Would I be correct in saying that there is a part of you that feels the same way?

In any event, I think we will all be paid the same amount (i.e., entrance into heaven), but at the big party afterwards (the heavenly banquet), some of us will have better seats --> seats of honor…

Even 1 minute of purgatory is going to be absolutely brutal. I often pray for my friends (who are atheists) and imagine that through God’s mercy, they will be saved, but only after purgatory. And I imagine them saying afterwards “Man, I would have easily given up all that wealth, fine dining, and sleeping around to avoid that pain, if only I had known”… And then, knowing my friends, they will blame me and say “Why didn’t you warn us ?!”…

Jesus did not say following him would be easy.

Here’s another thought. :slight_smile:

Perhaps it might help to think of your life as eternal instead of as temporary.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."John 3:16

St. Therese of Liseux is one who I think gave up the thought of life on Earth and whose greatest desire while on Earth was to be a great Saint. She focused on Heaven while on earth, in fact she is quoted to have said, “I will spend my Heaven doing good on Earth.” She wanted to be a Missionary but was too sickly to go so contented herself with praying fervently for missionary priests.

Now, beautiful Mother Teresa: Her birth name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, and she renamed herself after, St. Therese of Liseux. She was a former British citizen of Albanian descent. Yet, she became one of the greatest missionaries that the world has ever known, winning a Noble Peace Prize in 1979, India’s highest honor the Bharat Ratna (“Jewel of India”) in 1980, and being popularly voted the greatet Indian since the country’s independence in 1947 (excluding Gandhi from consideration) by Indian magazine Outlook in 2002. Did St. Therese of Liesux or any of her family ever have any idea that the Pope would call her the “greatest saint of modern times” or that she would be the inspiration for Mother Teresa when she lived her life of faith?

Is it inconceivable that St. Therese of Liseux, now existing in Heaven in perfect union with Christ, a full part and parcel of God himself, is still active spending her Heaven doing good on Earth and guided and shaped Mother Teresa? Not all saints have that power and glory.

Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. But many that are first will be last, and (the) last will be first. Mark 10:29-31

Everything that Christ says is a literal truth as St. Francis of Assisi so brilliantly showed us so maybe this is how it is fulfilled. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: Notice now that St. Francis of Assisi gave up his house and father for the sake of the Gospel yet did not seem to receive these things in his earthly life. To the best of my horribly imperfect knowledge, he died poor. Yet, many people, schools, hospitals, churches, and the entire city of San Francisco are now named after him. :eek: If he is still alive in perfect union with Christ, he has certainly received a fair share on Earth and who knows how much else he is receiving in Heaven.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?John 14:2

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:12-15

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will beloved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him. Judas, not the Iscariot, said to him, "Master, (then) what happened that you will reveal yourself to us and not to the world? Jesus answered and said to him, "Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him."John 14:18-23

Thread: Man Might Become God

We must truly hope and pray to keep “purity of intention” with this sort of knowledge. :eek:

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

On Purity of Intention, Love, and Humility

Is the definition of evil choosing the self over good (which is God)? Evil is finite. God is infinite. Evil may be limited to the number of the fallen angels and the extent in the world to which humans choose the self over God.

Purity of Intention

1. On a certain occasion, I understood how very displeased God is with an act, however commendable, that does not bear the stamp of a pure intention. Such deeds incite God to punishment rather than to reward. May such deeds be as few as possible in our lives; indeed, in religious life, there should be none at all.
  1. When I was apologizing to the Lord Jesus for a certain action of mine which, a little later, turned out to be imperfect, Jesus put me at ease with these words: **My daughter, I reward you for the purity of your intention which you had at the time when you acted. My Heart rejoiced that you had My love under consideration at the time you acted, and that in so distinct a way; and even now you still derive benefit from this; that is, from the humiliation. Yes, My child, I want you to always have such great purity of intention in the very least things you undertake.
  1. If one does not know what is better, one must reflect, consider and seek advice, because one must not act with an uncertain conscience. When uncertain, say to yourself: “Whatever I do will be good. I have the intention of doing good.” The Lord God accepts what we consider good, and the Lord God also accepts and considers it as good. One should not worry if, after some time, one sees that these things are not good. God looks at the intention with which we begin, and will reward us accordingly. This is a principle which we ought to follow. **

Importance of Love

[quote]#1356 When I hestitate on how to act in some situations, I always ask love. It advises best.

Importance of Sacrifice (Franciscan ideology perhaps)

#1358 Where there is genuine virtue, there must be sacrifice as well; one’s whole life must be a sacrifice. It is only by means of sacrifice that souls can become useful. It is my self-sacrifice which, in my relationship with my neighbor, can give glory to God, but God’s love must flow through this sacrifice, because everything is concentrated in this love and takes its value from it.

1643 Listen, My daughter, although all the works that come into being by My will are exposed to great sufferings, consider whether any of them has been subject to greater difficulties than that work which is directly Mine- the work of Redemption. You should not worry too much about adversities. The world is not as powerful as it seems to be; its strength is strictly limited. Know, My daughter, that if your souls is filled with the fire of My pure love, then all difficulties dissipate like fog before the sun’s rays and dare not touch the soul. All adversaries are afraid to start a quarrel with such a soul, because they sense that it is stronger than the whole world…

1. During Holy Mass, I saw Jesus stretched out on the Cross, and He said to me, My pupil, have great love for those who cause you suffering. Do good to those who hate you. I answered, “O my Master, You see very well that I feel no love for them, and that troubles me.” Jesus answered, **It is not always within your power to control your feelings. You will recognize that you have love if, after having experienced annoyance and contradiction, you do not lose your peace, but pray for those who have made you suffer and wish them well. ** When I returned …]

Joy of Paradise

1592 February 10, 1938. During meditation, the Lord gave me knowledge of the joy of heaven and of the saints on our arrival there; they love God as the sole object of their love, but they also have a tender and heartfelt love for us. It is from the face of God that this joy flows out upon all, because we see Him face to face. His face is so sweet that the soul falls anew into ectasy.

Perfect Soul

1595 O my Jesus, this is Your work. It is You who have spoken thus to that soul, because this sister came in when I was completely immersed in God, and it was just at that moment when this deep recollection left me. O my Jesus, I know that, in order to be useful to souls, one has to strive for the closest possible union with You, who are Eternal Love. One word from a soul united to God effects more good in souls than eloquent discussions and sermons from an imperfect soul.

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS32.shtml

[/quote]

1599 As I was trying to make my Holy Hour, I saw the suffering Jesus, who spoke these words to me: **My daughter, do not pay so much attention to the vessel of grace as to the grace itself which I give you, because you are not always pleased with the vessel and then the graces, too, become deficient. I want to guard you from that, and I want you never to pay attention to the vessel in which I send you My grace. Let all the attention of your soul be concentrated on responding to My grace as faithfully as possible. **

1641 At adoration during the Forty-Hours’ Devotion, the Lord said to me, My daughter, write that involuntary offenses of souls do not hinder My love for them or prevent Me from uniting Myself with them. But voluntary offenses, even the smallest, obstruct my graces, and I cannot lavish My gifts on such souls.

1. This month I will practice the three virtues recommended to me by the Mother of God: humility, purity and love of God, accepting with profound submission to the will of God everything that He will send me.

saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS32.shtml

Then he said to the crowd, “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.” Then he told them a parable. “There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?'
And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!” But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong? Thus it will be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God.”

He said to (his) disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life and what you will eat, or about your body and what you will wear. For life is more than food and the body more than clothing. Notice the ravens: they do not sow or reap; they have neither storehouse nor barn, yet God feeds them. How much more important are you than birds! Can any of you by worrying add a moment to your lifespan? If even the smallest things are beyond your control, why are you anxious about the rest? Notice how the flowers grow. They do not toil or spin. But I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass in the field that grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? As for you, do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, and do not worry anymore.

All the nations of the world seek for these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these other things will be given you besides. Do not be afraid any longer, little flock, for your Father is pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your belongings and give alms. Provide money bags for yourselves that do not wear out, an inexhuastible treasure in heaven that no theif can reach nor moth destroy. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be. Luke 12:15-34

I think you’re overestimating the number of people who get into Heaven and the ease with which they do it.

God judges everyone absolutely fairly… and ignorance that is culpable is gigantically prevalent, because to refuse God’s inspiration to know and learn about Him is to really refuse Him directly.

Invincible ignorance is overrated. We have to pray and work hard to bring people to the Faith. I’ve read saints saying that the majority of Catholics and the majority of priests go to Hell.

Which should light a fire under anyone’s foot.

Is that possible, though :confused: ? I don’t see the point of trying to be one: ISTM that leads only to self-absorption, which is almost the last thing to go for :eek: In fact, it sounds like the ideal way to ensure one never is one. Surely it’s far better to forget self. Actually, it’s essential.

As for a part-answer: Christian holiness is not for the sake of Christians - its only adequate reason is, that it pleases God. What makes us “look good”, is of mind-blowing unimportance. Which puts God’s mercy to others in a different light. :slight_smile:

I know we can’t speak absolutely about how God’s mercy works, but hypothetically, and based upon the teachings of the Church, and what our pastors are telling us, it seems a little unfair in way: the more knowledge you have of the Truth, the more responsible you are for adhering by it; whereas everyone else gets a “free ride.” Oh, sure, they may wind up in purgatory for 200 years due to their ignorance, but if I, knowing what I do, don’t live completely by the straight and narrow then I could just as easily wind up in purgatory for 200 years.

And the destination is the same. It may take longer for some to get there, sure, but whereas my Protestant friend can spend mornings in his bathrobe watching Joel Osteen instead of actually getting dressed up and driving to his church I’ve got to do just that – I’ve got to get dressed and go to Mass or else be guilty of a mortal sin.

I know I’m wrong about alot of this, but I’m frustrated because I do try so hard to be a good Catholic Christian…and then I see other people who chew gum during Mass, or leave immediately after communion, and other things…and I just wonder…

I agree with this…

God will have mercy on who He wants, but He has shown us great mercy in giving us the Church, the Eucharist, etc. If we take it all for granted and not be thankful for it, this can even be a rejection of God’s mercy and an insult to Him.

Yes we have more responsibility because we have been given more. But we must each follow God’s will. He gives some people only a little faith, and He gives others more, and if He has given you more - be thankful and use it for His glory. Be exactly what God made you to be… St Therese said that people are like flowers, there are ones who are like roses and lilies (the Saints) and others like violets and simple field flowers… and each must be content to be as they are, and to glorify God in their own way.

If we have been given the ‘tools’ to grow in sanctification, we should use them simply out of love for God.

The Saints did not ask “why be saints?” because holiness glorifies God and they lived for His glory alone, not for their comfort. :slight_smile:

God bless

Also, those people who don’t know about God at all - they have an excuse… they have never heard… God will judge us based on what we knew.

We know more. So, we don’t have this excuse.

Try to see this as a blessing. It IS a great grace to be in the Church, it’s a gift… think about it… on Sunday, we receive Christ into ourselves… He gives us Himself! :slight_smile: aren’t all the difficulties in the world regarding our faith WORTH IT, just for that?

it is right to give God OUR BEST. :slight_smile: after all… He went through cruficixion for us! He’s all alone in the Tabernacle for us, He hides His glory in the Eucharist for love of us… what we are asked to do is so infinitely less than what He has done for us. He has given us His life. We are simply asked to follow Him to eternal life and love Him and visit Him every Sunday. I know it can be hard sometimes with our lives and everything happening but really it’s a joy :slight_smile: even if it’s hard, even if there is suffering… we can be joyful in suffering and offer it all to God…

very true.

the way is narrow!

I think that’s a very risky perspective. I consider myself a ‘5 minute’ Catholic in a sense. I was an atheist for 25 years before I came Home. That story really hit home to this Prodigal Daughter. If I could change ONE thing, it would be that I could have been laboring in His vineyards since the pre-dawn hours, not just from lunchtime.

I am thrilled to be one of His lowly workers, so while I can understand your point intellectually, I can’t on a spiritual level.

The point of the story is not that you can time things, but the fact that all can be saved and make it to heaven - even at the end of one’s life.

I’ve read an analysis in a book (of pre V2 publication, IIRC) that tackles this argument. The writer says the problem of waiting until later (deathbed, esp) is that people basically die as they live. And that the habits of sin and the worship of other things before God make it VERY hard to turn on a dime.

I find joy in living by His rules (how often I fail miserably though…) and would change nothing.

Pax tecum, Juli

:slight_smile: please read this:

"One day, I saw two roads. One was broad, covered with sand and flowers, full of joy, music and all sorts of pleasures. People walked along it, dancing and enjoying themselves. They reached the end without realising it. And at the end of the roads there was a horrible precipice; that is the abyss of hell. The souls fell blindly into it; as they walked, so they fell. And their number was so great that it was impossible to count them. And I saw the other road, or rather, a path, for it was narrow and strewn with thorns and rocks; and the people who walked along it had tears in their eyes, and all kinds of suffering befell them. Some fell down upon the rocks, but stood up immediately and went on. At the end of the road there was a magnificent garden filled with all sorts of happiness, and all these souls entered there. At the very first instant they forgot all their sufferings.
(Divine Mercy in My Soul, St Faustina)

We just have to make this choice… are we going to serve God in our lives, or ourselves? And if we serve God, it might be more difficult… but it would lead to eternal life. Our focus must be on the eternal or we would be discouraged.

**Willfully neglecting God’s will in small ways may pave the way for great sin, **just as venial sin may lead to mortal sin. Judas took money from the apostles long before Gethsemane. St. Padre Pio says, “Ahead! Courage! In the spiritual life he who does not advance goes backward. It happens as with a boat which always must go ahead. If it stands still the wind will blow it back.” marymediatrix.com/features/ppio/ppio3.htm

Willful disobedience may be worse than ignorant disobedience. "To him much is given, much will be expected.

excellent points!

And still the xians have gumption to say that xians are persecuted in India.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.