The "Emergency Plate"

I was watching Fox and Friends this morning and one of the hosts, Brian Gilmead (sp?) was talking about his experience as a young boy being responsible for holding the “emergency plate” during communion. He couldn’t remember its proper name and kept referring to it as the “emergency plate”. He’s talking about that plate that was held under the mouth as the priest placed communion on the tongue. What is that plate called? It’s driving me crazy! Thanks in advance.

It’s called a paten (or communion paten).

It is sometimes called a paten, though this is properly only the smaller disk-like plate that the priest uses at the Altar to hold the Host. What you are reffering to is the communion plate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit