The end of Catholic Jurist in the Western World?

With appeals courts rapidly imposing same gender marriages on the states, in the US, and this soon to become a legal norm in North America and Europe, I pose this question: Will it be possible for faithful Catholics to remain judges in at least the US (and probably Canada)?

I suppose that depends upon the jurisdiction, but simply being a judge in some instances means that the jurist is going to be asked to perform same gender marriages, and of course handle questions of adoption and divorce, all pertaining to this. I have no doubt that polygamous marriages are not far behind.

The US has a strong tradition of Catholic judges, including some on the US Supreme Court right now. But I have to wonder if we’ll soon be at a point where this just isn’t an option for a faithful Catholic. After all, a faithful Catholic can’t be a nurse at an abortion clinic, so why could one be a judge in a situation in which you might fight yourself presiding over an ever increasing number of topics that are contrary to our faith?

I suppose this question should apply to lawyers as well, except that we don’t have to take topics we don’t care to. Judges do.

The clear goal of the liberals is to force orthodox Christians out of public life on the grounds that Christians are narrow minded bigots who cannot embrace diversity. It is not just the judiciary, but the entire public square.

I hope I’m not going too far off the subject here, but it’s seeming like the practice of law is really getting you down, Yeoman, and it might be time to consider other potential careers.

I’d like to ask if you’ve thought at all about teaching in a Catholic high school or college. Practice of law should certainly qualify one to teach social studies. It appears as though the National Catholic Educational Association has a job bank as well: ncea.org/.

Just something to bear in mind. God bless.

Thank you, I’ll look into that.

There’s no Catholic high schools where I live, and I think I’ll get tremendous resistance from my family in moving. There is a Catholic university in this state, and perhaps there’s an option somewhere in there.

I am praying for you Yeoman, as I understand how you feel. I have been a civil litigator for 21 years and I can feel what you are going through. I have been called to apply to the archdiocesan diaconate program and my wife and kids fully support me. If I am accepted this summer, I will start seminary in August. To me, practicing law whilst being able to serve as a deacon will make everything complete. I still enjoy practicing law to a certain extent, but it is ebbing as the years go by. I don’t like the constant pressure to gain new clients, answer to senior partners of the firm, go after clients about arrearages and whatnot. I am planning on slowing down and dedicating more time to the church and charity. I hope you find something to help you through this. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the prayers, and I admire your choice to become a Deacon.

How does that work in regards to the Seminary. I.e., how long will your course of study be?

Also, you nailed some of the real downsides of being a lawyer, although I’m sure they aren’t unique to us, that being the constant business pressures. If you have enough work, it’s a lot, if things slow down, you really worry. Generally lawyers have the wolf closer to the door than people suppose, which is no doubt why some fail to pay.

I thought I’d post this again, with a slightly different topic, as it seems even in the few months since I’ve posted it things have gone from bad to worse on the original topic. Consider this:

1. If you are a Catholic judge in many states now, you are going to be faced with same gender couples coming to you and asking to be married. And you’ll have to do it. Perhaps you’ve already accommodated yourself to seeing the same man come in for repeat marriages and divorces, but can you accommodate yourself to happily performing that function? Can you morally do it?

2. Almost inevitably, if you are in position #1, pretty soon your going to find yourself with polygamist coming in for marriages too. Indeed, as at least polygamy recognizes gender differences, maybe that’s not quite as fictional as a same gender marriage.

3. If you are an employer, you are probably looking at health care plans a la Hobby Lobby type situation.

I suppose we set ourselves up for this by accommodating things we should not have long ago, but its easy to get a bit distressed and imagine very soon being in a situation where there are entire occupations Catholics can’t occupy. Back to the Catholic Ghetto?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.