The End times and the Three Days of Darkness- Your thoughts please

Hi everyone,

I would like all of your thoughts on the Three Days of Darkness that was prophesised by many blesseds and the end times. I’ve been searching very old threads to learn more. I decided to start a new one. All the information you have is greatly appreciated. :smiley: :slight_smile: Thanks everyone

Don’t really mean to be flip, but my first thought was, wonder if that means February. Always gets me down.

:confused:

In the midwest, February is often dark, rainy or snowy or icy. Today it is dark and rainy with fog. This continues, more on than off, until middle to late March, or April, Or May. I have a mild case of seasonal affective disorder, so the lack of sunlight gets me down. Again, sorry for the seemingly flip response. I see you were serious and I know nothing about that topic.

Ok lol

I think the 3-Days of Darkness is a prophesy by Saint Padre Pio.

I hear you (fellow midwester). :wink:

Come on Spring!! :thumbsup:

Really? I will have to google it, very interesting.

Edited: Hmmm, just found this tldm.org/news/darkness-11-13-98.htm

Now I will have to go read it…

As to the end, no one knows-only the Father knows.

-Jesus Christ

I hate to be a downer but I’m looking forward to the three days of darkness.

Uh-oh! That site you linked to is not in line with Rome and presents apparitions that have been condemned by the Church! (and will likely get removed here on CAF)

Be careful with those sites!

I don’t think that the link is one that I would trust, it is to a BANNED apparition.:frowning:

I believe the three days of darkness are coming very soon. After the three days of darkness, Saint Peter and Paul will personally descend from Heaven and select a new pope, meaning the one before will have died.

Some of these groups have been getting their followers to board up the house and  await the End,  only in the past 30 years the End never came.  Personally,  I believe we Catholics are the Light of the world. We have no reason to fear because we have Jesus Christ does not send a spirit of fear but a spirit of Divine Love to minister to us.. 

This site shows all these photographs of strange lights and bizarre stuff that appear to be the work of the devil.  Christ will warn His Church.  He has already warned us to follow Him.

BP

**Mark 13 **

14 “But when you see (AD)the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not to be ((AE)let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 (AF)Let the one who is on (AG)the housetop not go down, nor enter his house, to take anything out, 16 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. 17 And (AH)alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! 18 Pray that it may not happen in winter. 19 For in those days there will be (AI)such (AJ)tribulation as has not been (AK)from the beginning of the creation that (AL)God created until now, and never will be. 20 And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for (AM)the sake of the elect, whom (AN)he chose, he shortened the days. 21 And (AO)then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. 22 (AP)For false christs and false prophets will arise and (AQ)perform signs and wonders, (AR)to lead astray, if possible, (AS)the elect. 23 But (AT)be on guard; (AU)I have told you all things beforehand.

MS_Surveyor,

Thank you for  that  quote from the Gospel of  Mark.   It is most appropriate in this discussion.

BP

This may or may not answer your question but I kind of tripped over it by accident:

In the synoptic narrative, while Jesus is hanging on the cross, the sky is “darkened for 3 hours,” from the sixth to the ninth hour (noon to mid-afternoon). Both Roman orator Julius Africanus and Christian theologian Origen refer to Greek historian Phlegon as having written “with regard to the eclipse in the time of Tiberius Caesar, in whose reign Jesus appears to have been crucified, and the great earthquakes which then took place.”

Looking this information,elsewhere, Friday is called ‘arubta’ because of the suffering of Messiah. Paraskeue was the Greek equivalent of the Aramaic of “arubta-eve,” or Friday. The days of the week before the Sabbath in Aramaic were First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Arubta; there was no “Sixth” day. Therefore, Arubta, and by inference paraskeue, must refer only to Friday.

Hellenistic Jews used the term prosabbaton, or Sabbath-eve to designate Friday (Judith 8:6; 2 Macc. 8:26). Mark recorded, “it was the preparation day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,” (Mark 15:42) or paraskeue, the day of prosabbaton. Therefore, paraskeue was technically Friday. However, such a conclusion is based on the presumption that the Sabbath only referred to Saturday, and the argument becomes circular. At some point in time it would appear that paraskeue did only refer to Friday, but such is not necessary for the time of Jesus, or for Judea.

**Another thought to all of this: **

Later in time, the Aramaic-speaking Christians drew a play on words because the root of “Arubta” does not mean “preparation”, it means “darkness, sunset, evening.” Since miraculous darkness fell upon the earth on that Friday ( especially since it’s physically impossible to have a solar eclipse during a full moon :slight_smile: ) - the Aramaic-speaking Christians associated the name of the day no longer with “preparation”, but with the literal meaning of the root - “darkness” and applied this to a Messianic understanding.

I think the earliest reference to this in Aramaic documents can be found in the “Syriac Teaching of the Apostles” from around the early 3rd-century. Here is an excerpt:

Teaching of the Apostles wrote: The apostles further appointed: On the Arubtha, at the ninth hour, let there be service: because that which had been spoken on the fourth day of the week about the suffering of the Saviour was brought to pass on the same eve; the worlds and creatures trembling, and the luminaries in the heavens being darkened. (See: Unetanah Tokef - Fear and Trembling,The first paragraph depicts the judgment day, where the angels in heaven tremble at the awe-inspiring event of the annual judgment of all creation, with the implication that man should also approach this day with trepidation. The heavenly Book of Chronicles is opened, in which every human being’s fate will be inscribed.[7]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unetanneh_Tokef#Fear_and_Trembling)

I think the connection between the “darkness” and the root meaning of “evening” is made pretty clearly.

More about this on the next post…

Regarding the Ninth Plague: (Exodus) and per quote: rabbibuchwald.njop.org/2012/01/23/bo-5772-2012/

In Exodus 10:21, we read that G-d tells Moses, Stretch forth your hand toward the heavens, and there shall be darkness upon the land of Egypt, and the darkness will be palpable. When Moses stretches forth his hand toward the heavens,** a thick darkness appears throughout the land of Egypt for a three day period**. No man could see his brother, nor could anyone rise from his place for a three day period. But, for all the Children of Israel, there was light in their dwellings.

"the words “three days” appear twice in the verse, the plague of darkness lasted for at least six days. He notes, however, a difference between the first three days and the last three days. During the first three days there was a darkness of gloom, when “no man could see his brother.” During the second three day period, however, the Torah reports that “no man could rise from his place.”

"It may be argued that the plague of darkness should not be considered alone, but rather as joined with the final plague, death of the first born. Together, they constitute one plague–a plague of physical darkness followed by “ultimate” darkness, death.

Darkness, whether it strikes physically or metaphorically, is a most severe plague. To live in darkness is surely a very painful and lonely existence. May all good people be spared this plague and be enveloped in G-d’s light and beneficence."

Last thought: (Regarding the Exodus - Passover, and the Christ’s Passion)

**Mark 15:33, 33 At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Again, there is more to this in regards to the hours, however, in regards to Peter denial, and the cock’s crow (shows the hour of the day) It was said that at the cock’s crow - was a sign of the half way mark to the redemption. When Peter denies our Lord – the Lord said to Peter, “Before a cock crows, you will deny Me three times.” - everything had to be done before the cock’s crow, the first sign of day light. (again, speculating on all this)

However, midnight (darkest part of the night) - Hebrew words kachatzot halailah, rendered above as at midnight, would read, as the night divides, (see Genesis 15 - the Covenant of the Halves, I use to think this had a lot to do with the dividing of the night and the redemption.)

On any other day, a priest would remove the ashes from the altar at about the time of the cock’s crow (in accordance with Leviticus 6:3). But for Yom Kippur, the ashes were removed beginning at midnight of the night before. Before the cock’s crow approached, Israelites filled the Temple Court. (Mishnah Yoma 1:8; Babylonian Talmud Yoma 20a.) The officer told the priests to see whether the time for the morning sacrifice had arrived. If it had, then the priest who saw it would call out, “It’s daylight!” (Mishnah Yoma 3:1; Babylonian Talmud Yoma 28a.)en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharei

The night in the Torah symbolizes suffering and exile. It is not only night, but it is the night of the night — midnight, the time of the deepest suffering and exile, when the voice of God seems silent.

References:

Excerpt from: Kenneth F. Doig, New Testament Chronology, (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 1990). Chapter 18 - THE PREPARATION FOR THE SABBATH
doig.net/NTC18.htm

Darkness and eclipse
Main article: Crucifixion eclipse
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion_of_Jesus

Friday Crucifixion?: peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=433

Acharei: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharei

Now another website list: Hence, a cock’s crow (change of properties) is heard exactly at midnight (the time when states change). vbm-torah.org/pesach/pesach66-mr.htm

There is a Blessed Marie (can’t remember her last name) starts with a T though. I’ll update if I can find the name. :frowning: She also prophecized this event. From what I have read about it (which was quite some time ago) this prophecy has also been prophesized by St. Pio and one other person.
Reading through the description of events, as Catholics, we don’t have any reason not to believe that these types of supernatural events will occur at the end times, do we?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.