The essence of manhood

Hi all,

I've been thinking and it seems I thought myself into a conundrum of sorts; a problem I can't exactly find a solution to. I'll keep this short and sweet, so here's my question:

What is the essence of manhood? What defines a man, from say a scumbag of a man? Why do men have to be chivalrous to their lady? Why is being a gentleman so important?

Is that enough for you? :p

I can't really answer my own questions to my satisfaction, so I turn to you guys. Any help is appreciated :)

Ask if further details are needed.

Coolduude:cool:

You don't have to be chivalrous or a gentleman to be a "real man". You just need to have a strong will. Don't be easily manipulated or bullied.

[quote="violet81, post:2, topic:224808"]
You don't have to be chivalrous or a gentleman to be a "real man". You just need to have a strong will. Don't be easily manipulated or bullied.

[/quote]

I don't agree here. Going by this logic Hitler was a real man- he didn't get manipulated or bullied because he had a strong will.

I certainly think being chivalrous is important. I just don't know why.

I was describing the essence of masculinity. It seems you are looking for the essence of being a good man.

A good man protects the weak and needy.

There you go. I guess I should have clarified :o

Why should a good man do that though?

Good men are lacking in this current time. There are many reasons why a man should be more than just chivalrous, but honorable. Men like this set positive examples for young children-- boys learn how to grow up to be men, and girls grow up knowing what qualities to look for in a man. Good men should protect the weak and needy, as Jesus showed us by example.

In my view, first and foremost, it’s being a gentlemen, regardless if you get looked at oddly. Open doors, pull out chairs, watch your mouth in front of women and children-stuff like that.

Thanks for the response :thumbsup:

If men are not protective then the weak and needy will be more vulnerable to those who wish to harm them. It is a mans Christian duty to be tough when necessary and gentle when necessary.

Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

Can you explain why you feel that way? I must say I agree, by the way.

I thought of something very similar to this. Thank you :smiley:

To me, the essence of manhood is the desire to protect and shelter others. To go to war to protect others. To fight fires to protect others. To provide for their children and wife. It is a selflessness that puts others before his own safety. Being a gentleman is another aspect of that protective drive.

A man will stand up for the weak and wounded.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:12, topic:224808"]
To me, the essence of manhood is the desire to protect and shelter others. To go to war to protect others. To fight fires to protect others. To provide for their children and wife. It is a selflessness that puts others before his own safety. Being a gentleman is another aspect of that protective drive.

A man will stand up for the weak and wounded.

[/quote]

A good answer indeed :)

This question may be hard, but why should a man do that? I completely agree with you, but I want to know why.

:thumbsup:

The essence of manhood. Now that would be Old Spice .... :clapping:

Awesome!

[quote="coolduude, post:13, topic:224808"]

This question may be hard, but why should a man do that? I completely agree with you, but I want to know why.

[/quote]

Because that is the way God made you to be. Maybe that's a simplistic answer, but I think God made men to be our protectors and women to be nurturers and mothers. I think ALL men are like this, some are just more so, like the warrior types. But all men fight battles, just depends on what arena they choose.

Women look up to men for that, at least we used to, before feminism told us we need men like a fish needs a bicycle.

[/quote]

Because you should treat people better than the way you would want to be treated. I would say "golden rule" but the Bible teaches agape, and that's why.

[/quote]

Why? Because it's the right thing to do.

Chivalry only comes from a position of strength.

I always learn more from intelligent people that I don't entirely agree with because it causes me to think and fit certain things they say into my set of beliefs and principles.

Those that think outside the box are just more interesting. Many insights come from unique non-conforming individuals that do not accept what everyone else thinks.

Humility is essential. The OT mentions that Moses was the humblest man on earth. The greatness of a man is made visible by his humility. A man that lacks humility lacks the essential ingredient for manhood.:twocents:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.