The Eternal Word of God

Since Jesus Christ is literally “the Word of God” and Jesus Christ has existed as the Second Person of the Trinity before all time and eternally, once the angels were created by God, they knew Jesus Christ was the Word and knew Jesus Christ, then my question is this:

Did they know when Jesus was going to be made incarnate in the flesh before it actually happened since He is the Word, and existed eternally in Heaven before time, could the demons have easily identified Him, and did they?

As I understand it, lacking omniscience, they are privy only to what is revealed to them.

In a word… no. His identity was hidden from the demons, at least according to many saints and seers. I don’t think the Church has ever made an official declaration about it, though. I tend to believe the same could be said for the angels.

I could speculate for you and here is my take. Angels were heavenly creatures. They are creatures of the court, so to speak. Do they know the King? Yes. Do they know what the King would do? Only if they are told about it.

Jesus came into the world in time and space. However, it was a plan of God for the salvation of mankind and therefore it was likely that the creatures of the heavenly court would know about it.

The Devil and his minions were once angels. They would probably know what was public knowledge in heaven. The minute details of it, the Devil would be able to find out as He has horde of demons to assist him to look for them.

So to answer your question, yes, they could and perhaps that explains why the Devil said he knew who Jesus was and proceeded to tempt him.

The Catholic Encyclopedia article on the “Devil” says in part:

Although nothing definite can be known as to the precise nature of the probation of the angels and the manner in which many of them fell, many theologians have conjectured, with some show of probability, that the mystery of the Divine Incarnation was revealed to them, that they saw that a nature lower than their own [i.e., a human nature] was to be hypostatically united to the Person of God the Son, and that all the hierarchy of heaven must bow in adoration before the majesty of the Incarnate Word; and this, it is supposed, was the occasion of the pride of Lucifer (cf. Suarez, De Angelis, lib. VII, xiii). As might be expected, the advocates of this view seek support in certain passages of Scripture, notably in the words of the Psalmist as they are cited in the Epistle to the Hebrews: “And again, when he bringeth in the first-begotten into the world, he saith: And let all the angels of God adore Him” (Hebrews 1:6; Psalm 96:7).

If this conjecture is correct, then the Devil and the other fallen angels knew from early on that there was going to be an incarnation of the Son of God but I don’t think they knew for certain that Jesus was that incarnation until Jesus died. I think the Devil tempted Jesus in part to find out if Jesus was the promised incarnation.

No.

While angels are spirits, they do not contain God’s Omniscience.

There are two passages in Scriptures that demonstrate this:

10Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things. (1 St. Peter 1)
29"What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. “Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?” (St. Matthew 8)

The angels, Satan and his minions are aware of God’s Salvific Plan but the details evade them.

Maran atha!

Angel

Thsnks for the reference @todd_easton

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.