The Eucharist and Glorified Body

I’m currently struggling with transubstantiation. In know it’s a mystery and can’t be put into words, but can someone try to articulate how this can happen? Can a glorified body, Jesus’s glorified body take any form it wishes?

Sacramental body is not quite the same as human body.

He always has His human body, but can place Himself bodily as He chooses.

ICXC NIKA

By ‘form’ in this case, I think you are really referring to the accidents–that is, the appearances. The Eucharist would be the same whether Jesus was in his earthly body or his glorified body.

The key to the matter is to realize that whenever we perceive anything in this life through our senses, we are perceiving not the thing itself, but only the appearances–those manifestation which can enter into our sense organs. When I see my brother, I don’t somehow get him into my head. All I get are his appearances–what he looks like, what is perceptible to my vision, my hearing, my sense of touch or any other sense.

Those things correspond to his underlying reality, which I cannot really touch. I know he is there by his appearances or accidents.

It is only in the case of the Eucharist that the substance (what is really there) changes, while the appearances (the appearances of bread and wine) remain the same. All you can perceive are the appearances–in this case of bread and wine.

But those appearances do not inhere in Jesus. Jesus does not become a small white wafer. Those are just the appearances of bread. Jesus is there, whole and entire, under those appearances.

God can do absolutely anything. That’s the plain and simple of it. The Glorified Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, fully and completely. The Holy Eucharist is truly the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ fully and completely and alone. Amen.

After Jesus told His doubting disciples that His “Flesh is true food” and His “Blood is true drink,” He said “Does this shock you? What if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before?” The Apostles, however, did not understand, but believed, because they knew that Jesus is Our Lord, Savior, and Redeemer, God the Son and the Son of God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity Who is God and said “Lord, to whom shall we go?”

We, as human beings CANNOT even attempt to explain the miracle of Transubstantiation, for it is something that only God can know. However, God Himself has told us that the Real Presence of His Son, Jesus, in the Holy Eucharist is the Truth, and so therefore, we believe it because God Himself has revealed it. Who can dare to defy the direct Revelation of the Almighty God? No one can and no one should.

May God bless you and lead to the Light of His Truth! :slight_smile:

What do the words sacramental body mean, exactly, as opposed to a glorified body?

The only answer I can give to this is that Jesus’ entire body is present in the Eucharist–his body whole and entire, along with his soul and divinity–under the appearances of bread and wine.

GEddie?

On another forum I was told that Jesus wasn’t able to turn bread and wine into Christ because he was glorified but because of His power as God.

I will have to confer with the Fr. from whom I pick these tidbits up, however:

AIUI; the “glorified body” is a human body made everlasting and powerful (the pneumatikon soma). Head, hands, legs, skin, etc.

Sacramental body is a physical presence without the attributes we normally associate with the “human body”, yet a true bodily presence with the life, soul, etc.

ICXC NIKA.

I thought that the body and blood in the Eucharist was a full and complete body with head, arms legs etc.

Please explain.

I don’t know how else to explain it.

Found this on the website the real presence.org

"Do we receive (for instance) Christ’s head and arms and feet? Many today would be uncomfortable with an affirmative answer, which would savor, to them, of a grossly materialistic view of the Real Presence. Yet it is the right answer. Suppose we didn’t receive those parts: then the same would have to be said of all the other parts of his body. So there’d be nothing left! We would not be receiving his body. As the Catechism of the Council of Trent says, in this sacrament are contained “… all the constituents of a true body, such as bones and sinews….”

“For example, the statement that Jesus is in the Eucharist with all his parts may bring a picture into the imagination of a tiny body small enough to fit in the host. We know it’s not like that, but the imagery can still distort one’s thought, or block it, or even tempt one to discard the Real Presence in favor of a symbolical or “spiritual” presence.”

It’s a very complex issue and we will never fully understand this mystery. I just take it on faith because Jesus said “This is my body,this is my blood”

Jesus’ body is completely and totally present in the Eucharist. We don’t receive a little piece of him, we receive all of him. How can that be? Why don’t we perceive his complete body? We don’t, because all we perceive are the accidents of bread and wine.

And if you break the communion host in two, you do not therefore break Jesus’ body. He remains whole and entire under the appearances of bread and wine in each subdivision of the host. Breaking the host is merely a breaking of the accidents of bread and wine, not of Jesus’ body.

I’m waiting to meet with the priest referred to earlier for clarification concerning sacramental vs. human body.

ICXC NIKA

Ok. Let us know what he says.

What does it mean for Jesus to be in His sacramental form?

Let us know what he says.

Indeed.

When I see him.

ICXC NIKA

ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/is-jesus-christ-physically-present-in-the-eucharist/
What does THIS mean?

<<<<<<<<<< Is Christ’s presence physical? The answer depends on what we mean by the word physical.

Human nature, including the human nature of Christ, has a physical part, the body (or, as we say, body and blood), and a spiritual part, the soul. It would be a heresy to claim that Christ is present in the Eucharist without the physical part of His human nature, or without the spiritual part of His human nature, or without His Divine Nature. So He is physically present in the sense that the physical part of His human nature is wholly present.

However, the physical part of His human nature is glorified. The Eucharist includes both His Divine Nature and His glorified human nature: a glorified soul and a glorified body. Concerning the body of Christ: we do not eat a piece of literal flesh, nor drink a cup of literal blood. We consume the whole Christ, with His glorified human nature united to His Divine Nature.

But the glorified body is still physical; it has not been changed into something spiritual, as if the human nature of Christ would then consist of a spiritual part, the soul, and another spiritual part, like a second soul.>>>>>>>>

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.