The Eucharist and Mass

I know there is the real precence and that the sacrifice of the Mass has something to do with the eucharist but, how is the eucharist a sacrifice? and what precisly is the effect of this sacrifice? And why do prostestants hate “The Sacrifce of The Mass”?

Thanks from the baby Catholic, Montie

[quote=Montie Claunch]I know there is the real precence and that the sacrifice of the Mass has something to do with the eucharist but, how is the eucharist a sacrifice? and what precisly is the effect of this sacrifice? And why do prostestants hate “The Sacrifce of The Mass”?

[/quote]

Protestants believe that when the Catholic Church teaches that the Sacrifce of the Mass and the Sacrifice of the Cross are united that some how we are re-sacrificing Christ over again.

Also remember that in order to “offer Sacrifice” one must have a priest made a priest through anointing in succession, called the Sacrament of Holy Orders or Ordination. They don’t have this and cannot obtain it, therefore it is not possible for them to offer the Sacrifice of the Mass.

Jesus died for us on the cross. The Sacrifice of the Mass makes us present at His sacrifice. It makes the one sacrifice of the cross present to us throughout history in all times and places where the Mass is offerred. And it confers on us the enormous graces of that sacrifice, since we are enabled to become one with Christ when we receive holy communion.

Some protestants misunderstand the Mass in that they think we are re-sacrificing Jesus again and again. We are not. It is only the one sacrifice made present.

Double ditto JimG!

There’s a reason why there’s always a crucifix behind/on or around the altar. They are different expressions of the same reality.

In the OT, the sacrifices offered in the temple were done on altars where they literally kill the animals. The blood gratuitously pouring forth on the altar. Thus in the new covenant, Christ, the Lamb of God institutes the Holy Eucharist then sacrifices himself on the Cross again pouring his blood out. This typology is astounding because when he says he is making a new covenant, he uses all of the OT covenants and puts it together in the Mass. Another way of saying this is that all of the old covenants were preparations specifically designed to glorify the NEW AND EVERLASTING COVENANT.

As for being re-presented, Christ being God had the unique position of making everlasting what he did in chronological time. So our Mass today has the exact dignity and magnitude as the last supper.

in XT

[quote=JimG]Jesus died for us on the cross. The Sacrifice of the Mass makes us present at His sacrifice. It makes the one sacrifice of the cross present to us throughout history in all times and places where the Mass is offerred. And it confers on us the enormous graces of that sacrifice, since we are enabled to become one with Christ when we receive holy communion.

Some protestants misunderstand the Mass in that they think we are re-sacrificing Jesus again and again. We are not. It is only the one sacrifice made present.
[/quote]

Would I be incorrect in saying that in the Mass Christ does not die again, but that we experience his death on the cross as you describe above and through our priest once again offer that sacrifice of Jesus to the Father?

To the other very good answers, I would add the OT type of of bread-and-wine sacrifice in Genesis 14:18:

**And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. **

This sacrifice is made after Abram has defeated enemies who had taken his kinsman, Lot, captive. Abram, our father in faith, has set the captives free . . . get it? It’s a foreshadowing of the Sacrifice of Jesus and it is marked by the bread-and-wine sacrifice of the Priest-King, Melchizedek.

[quote=mercygate]To the other very good answers, I would add the OT type of of bread-and-wine sacrifice in Genesis 14:18:

**And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was priest of God Most High. **

This sacrifice is made after Abram has defeated enemies who had taken his kinsman, Lot, captive. Abram, our father in faith, has set the captives free . . . get it? It’s a foreshadowing of the Sacrifice of Jesus and it is marked by the bread-and-wine sacrifice of the Priest-King, Melchizedek.
[/quote]

Yes, AND this is a “Thank” offering … meaning “eucharist”.

Joe

[quote=John666]Yes, AND this is a “Thank” offering … meaning “eucharist”.

Joe
[/quote]

Ta-da! Thanks for the catch!

Love your user name. Anti-Catholics must LOVE it!

[quote=rwoehmke]Would I be incorrect in saying that in the Mass Christ does not die again, but that we experience his death on the cross as you describe above and through our priest once again offer that sacrifice of Jesus to the Father?
[/quote]

Christ does not die again, but his one sacrifice is made present to us. Through the Mass we are made present at Calvary and at the Last Supper. Time and place are ‘accidents’ as far as Christ’s eternal sacrifice is concerned.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I know there is the real precence and that the sacrifice of the Mass has something to do with the eucharist but, how is the eucharist a sacrifice? and what precisly is the effect of this sacrifice? And why do prostestants hate “The Sacrifce of The Mass”?

[/quote]

Read this. It’s long, but read it all. (I think you’ll thank me when you’re done, but, I don’t know.)

-Rob

PS- The meatiest parts of the link are parts III, IV and V, so if you don’t have time to read the objections to it, then don’t bother. Have fun!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.