The Eucharist; superstition?

I can’t seem to understand what your church teaches about it. It was only a metaphore!

Wait, you’re in RCIA with the Salve Regina in your signature, and you think the Eucharist is a “metaphore”?

I am a methodist but I am in a Roman Catholic church… please don’t change the subject but help me understand the Eucharist!

Zundrah, could you please read this whole thing, and then tell me what you think about it :slight_smile:

miraclerosarymission.org/lanciano.html

there are literally thousands if Eucharistic miracles… in the lives of the Saints and in the lives of ordinary Catholics.

God bless.

If Jesus thought it was only a metaphor, why did He keep insisting that He was the bread of life and must be eaten, even when most of his disciples fled from him in disgust?

He is the Lamb who was slain as a sacrifice. The Lamb must be eaten by the people as well as offered to God, or it doesn’t count.

It’s not a metaphor. It is Life Himself whom you must eat, or there will be no life within you.

Ahhhhhh, you want me to read all of this!? :frowning: Oh no, but I just don’t believe in the Eucharist! It is just superstition! Some people even freak when a crumb falls on to the floor, I mean that is just ridiculous! :hypno:

I have consumed him; I have accepted him as my saviour! He alone is the bread of life! I have life in me only because I have accepted him as the lamb of God!

He keep insisting that He was the bread of life and must be eaten, even when most of his disciples fled from him in disgust?

He meant that we must accept his death as our sacrifice for our lives! The people didn’t want to believe this, they were offended by his words! But we must acknowledge that Christ’s life is the payment for our gift of heaven.

Well, wait, did you consume Him or did you munch on a metaphorically significant wafer? (is that how you spell it? That’s rather ridiculous!)

He meant that we must accept his death as our sacrifice for our lives! The people didn’t want to believe this, they were offended by his words! But we must acknowledge that Christ’s life is the payment for our gift of heaven.

Mmmm…maybe, but I’m pretty sure it was the whole Jewish-ness “Cannibalism is a sin” thing that made them leave.

Sure for the second point though…I think. :shrug:

Dtmccameron;5541325]Well, wait, did you consume Him or did you munch on a metaphorically significant wafer? (is that how you spell it? That’s rather ridiculous!)

I consumed the words of the gospel…

Mmmm…maybe, but I’m pretty sure it was the whole Jewish-ness “Cannibalism is a sin” thing that made them leave.

Christ never saud “bite me and eat my flesh now” did he? He never said “drink my blood like a vampire” did he? So obviously they never really thought he was saying to cannabilise on him, that’s not why they left, you are just being silly now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure for the second point though…I think. :shrug:

You are just making a joke out of this aren’t you?

How can one eat a "metaphor’ unworthily---- to the point of sickness or even death?

What does this mean? Is it jargon?

The bread of God is Christ; to consume him is to accept him always! The bread of life; the meditaion of him in your prayers and worship daily. :smiley:

Dont’ let this turn into an argumant… let’s talk with some sense. :heaven:

The thing is, she shouldn’t be receiving Holy Eucharist at all, since apparently she’s not a confirmed Catholic.

Who thought that I was taking the Eucharist!? I’m not, I’ve only been at my roman catholic church for six weeks!

Okay Zundrah, I just got your PM–you said you joined the Catholic Church six weeks ago? So, you’re a confirmed Catholic then, right now?

If so, then were you not being honest when you, during your confirmation, professed to believe all the Catholic Church teaches, including the Holy Eucharist?

Just really trying to understand where you’re coming from. . . :confused:

Well, the protestants do write in their Bibles…but eat them?

You are just making a joke out of this aren’t you?

Right above and right above alone. We Catholics-- and Catholics? I’m not a very good-un, so, correct me if I’m wrong, Believe that God is present in many places! Indeed, as you have pointed out, He is in His word, and we recieve Him through it. He is also present in the poor, for, “Whatsoever you do to the least of these, so you do unto me.”

But He is not equally present in these two ways, anymore than He is in the Eucharist, for there, He is fully, actually, and totally present. There do we find Him, there do we adore Him, there do we recieve His flesh, for "Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:53)

Christ never saud “bite me and eat my flesh now” did he? He never said “drink my blood like a vampire” did he?

ahem Sounds to me like He did…Though, you get points for the “right now” part. Heck, the temple wasn’t destroyed until Good Friday, and He’d been prophecying all about it for some time.

So obviously they never really thought he was saying to cannabilise on him, that’s not why they left, you are just being silly now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Silly, sure, but that is why they left! Didn’t they bring that against Him when they charged Him also? That, not only did He say that He was God, but also that He told His followers to devour His flesh? I don’t know, maybe I’m mistaken… (on this point!)

Regardless! Isn’t it funny how crazy you claim the notion to be! You might’ve joined with those that left Him that day, y’know? I most certainly know I would’ve. And I’d have been hunting down blasphemers alongside Saul too, so, I mean…God bless! :thumbsup:

Oh, and as to that sickness and death bit? Yes, well, there apparently were cases of folks recieving the Eucharist, and due to the unworthiness of their hearts, grew ill, or even died. Not to mention the all around effectiveness the Eucharist is as a demon-repeller, and how they absolutely refuse to adore* it,* and you might say, or Him, as we might.

Ah, I got it–you’re attending a Catholic church now, and will be joining RCIA for full confirmation into the Catholic church next Easter. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Well, what did it for me–a former Methodist, by the way!–was when Jesus said, “This IS my body” and “This IS my blood”, and many followers left him because they were like “GAH, this guy’s saying to eat his flesh and drink his blood, seriously??”. Notice that Jesus didn’t run after them saying, “Oh wait, I really didn’t mean it like that, I only meant it metaphorically and symbolically!”.

So, His words are right there in Holy Sacred Scripture. :slight_smile:

Think about it this way. When Jesus taught something that had the potential to offend or confuse his disciples, he would always thake Peter and the others aside and explain the menaings of his teachings. He didi it with the parable of the sower, and the tares among the wheat, did he not? What then does he say to the disciples after some were offended at the Bread of life discourse? “Will you too leave Me?” Not “THis is the meaning…” Therefore he was speaking literally, not figuratively. And understand that the Jews had good reason to be offended! Drinking blood would cut them off from their own people! Part of the point of the Eucharist is to put something at higher value than even nationality and heritage. To consume the Eucharist without the sin of idolatry you must be willing to put Jesus Christ above the interests of your nation if need be. Jesus wants all of us. If the Eucharist is not the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ, then he will never truly have all of us! One can easily walk away from a metaphor. It is not so easy to walk away from the God who made us!

No, I have not been comfirmed at all! I joined my catholic church six weeks ago, I wasn’t comfirmed!

**Does this sound better; I came to my catholic church only six weeks ago!? It was the first catholic church I ever went to, six weeks ago! **:smiley:
Sorry if I confused you…

“Attending” and “joining” are not the same! If you have not been confirmed, then you are not a full member of the Church. YOu need to talk with the Parish priest about RCIA and you need to stoop recieving communion IMMEDIATELY! Only people brought into full communion of the Church can recieve the Holy Eucharist!

Dtmccameron;5541429]Well, the protestants do write in their Bibles…but eat them?

Right, yeah, we eat bibles… paper is very healthy (and fat free did I mention)?

Right above and right above alone. We Catholics-- and Catholics? I’m not a very good-un, so, correct me if I’m wrong, Believe that God is present in many places! Indeed, as you have pointed out, He is in His word, and we recieve Him through it. He is also present in the poor, for, “Whatsoever you do to the least of these, so you do unto me.”

God is present in every church; catholic or protestant, Anglican or orthodox, but he can only be present by faith from us.

But He is not equally present in these two ways, anymore than He is in the Eucharist, for there, He is fully, actually, and totally present. There do we find Him, there do we adore Him, there do we recieve His flesh, for "Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:53)

So, because I do not take the Eucharist, I have no life in me? Hmm…

ahem Sounds to me like He did…Though, you get points for the “right now” part. Heck, the temple wasn’t destroyed until Good Friday, and He’d been prophecying all about it for some time.

Well then, answer me this; did anyone actually eat Jesus after he died? I think that the answer is a obvious “no”.

Silly, sure, but that is why they left! Didn’t they bring that against Him when they charged Him also? That, not only did He say that He was God, but also that He told His followers to devour His flesh? I don’t know, maybe I’m mistaken… (on this point!)

No one actually ate him…

Regardless! Isn’t it funny how crazy you claim the notion to be! You might’ve joined with those that left Him that day, y’know? I most certainly know I would’ve. And I’d have been hunting down blasphemers alongside Saul too, so, I mean…God bless! :thumbsup:

I would not have left with them, Jesus is my everything, I would have stood by him.

Oh, and as to that sickness and death bit? Yes, well, there apparently were cases of folks recieving the Eucharist, and due to the unworthiness of their hearts, grew ill, or even died. Not to mention the all around effectiveness the Eucharist is as a demon-repeller, and how they absolutely refuse to adore* it,* and you might say, or Him, as we might.

Proabaly because they were poisoned… anyway the priest have the duty to give it only to the “worthy”!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.