The Eucharist

In the “Ask an Apologist” forum I came across a thread about the Holy Eucharist and whether or not it is a mortal sin if we don’t receive it.

Here is the answer:
Re: Did Jesus say that everyone who does not receieve the Eucharist is going to hell?
Your assumption is correct. Jesus’ words inform us of the importance of receiving the Eucharist and the gravity of refusing to do so – refusal being a grave issue, the matter of mortal sin. But mortal sin requires also full knowledge and complete consent (cf. Catechism, 1857).

So, those who do not receive the Eucharist because they lack the necessary knowledge or because they are unable to do so are not going to be punished for that. But those who, knowing what the Eucharist is and that the Lord commanded us to receive it, deliberately refuse ever to receive it commit mortal sin.

Okay, so that makes sense, but I have another question on that. Before I went into confession before Holy Week I had not received the Eucharist because I had not been to Church and I recognized that as a sin. Is it still a sin if I had NOT received the Eucharist? :hmmm:

Thanks!! :slight_smile:
~Kerry

~Kerry

NO! NO! NO! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Your first name isn’t John, IS IT?

OH NO! My First name is,
John

[quote=MidnightSun02]In the “Ask an Apologist” forum I came across a thread about the Holy Eucharist and whether or not it is a mortal sin if we don’t receive it.

Here is the answer:
Re: Did Jesus say that everyone who does not receieve the Eucharist is going to hell?
Your assumption is correct. Jesus’ words inform us of the importance of receiving the Eucharist and the gravity of refusing to do so – refusal being a grave issue, the matter of mortal sin. But mortal sin requires also full knowledge and complete consent (cf. Catechism, 1857).

So, those who do not receive the Eucharist because they lack the necessary knowledge or because they are unable to do so are not going to be punished for that. But those who, knowing what the Eucharist is and that the Lord commanded us to receive it, deliberately refuse ever to receive it commit mortal sin.

Okay, so that makes sense, but I have another question on that. Before I went into confession before Holy Week I had not received the Eucharist because I had not been to Church and I recognized that as a sin. Is it still a sin if I had NOT received the Eucharist? :hmmm:

~Kerry
[/quote]

It must be remembered that reception of the Eucharist is not necessary for Salvation.

To not receive the Eucharist because you are not in a state of grace is prudent and is not sinful. However remaining out of a state of grace by choice and not fulfilling the obligation of every Catholic to Confess known mortal sins and receive the Eucharist during the Easter season would be.

Okay,thanks! That’s exactly what I had thought. I was just reading the Holy Father’s latest encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia and it also answered my questions. Here is the quote:

"the Catechism rightly stipulates that ‘[a]nyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to Communion’ (no. 1385). I therefore desire to reaffirm that int he Church there remains in force, now and in the future, the rule by which the Council of Trent gave concrete expression to the Apostle Paul’s stern warning when it affirmed that, in order to receive the Eucharist in a worthy manner, ‘one must first confess one’s sins, when one is aware of mortal sin.’ "

[quote=john654]NO! NO! NO! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Your first name isn’t John, IS IT?

OH NO! My First name is,
John
[/quote]

Uhhh…no…I never knew a girl being named John before…my name is Kerry, that’s my first name having some Irish in me.

[quote=MidnightSun02]Uhhh…no…I never knew a girl being named John before…my name is Kerry, that’s my first name having some Irish in me.
[/quote]

Ah, not a French Kerry.

That’s all right, then.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.