The Eucharist

I know that you can receive The Eucharist twice a day. But, what exactly does that mean?

If I receive Jesus in the form of the bread, the host, and then I receive Jesus in the form of wine, drink from the chalice, at the same Mass, would that be receiving twice at one Mass or does twice mean going to 2 separate Masses in one day even I received from both lines of communion and I received twice the host and twice drank from the chalice?

I know silly question. I did do a search but did not come up with anything other than receiving twice a day.

No. Receiving the body and the blood does not equal double Communion. If you receive under both species, you are still only receiving one sacrament. Actively participating in two masses means that you are allowed to receive two times in one day.

Of course, when you receive only one species of communion, you aren't receiving any less of Jesus then someone who receives under both species because the Body and Blood are present under each.

[quote="kmuestwin, post:2, topic:289770"]
No. Receiving the body and the blood does not equal double Communion. If you receive under both species, you are still only receiving one sacrament. Actively participating in two masses means that you are allowed to receive two times in one day.

Of course, when you receive only one species of communion, you aren't receiving any less of Jesus then someone who receives under both species because the Body and Blood are present under each.

[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Quite simply, it means that you can receive the Eucharist at two different events in a day - BUT the second one must be a Mass. For example, you went to church in the morning but it wasn’t Mass, but a Communion Service. You stayed and received the Eucharist. Then later on you went to Mass. It could be just that you went to an evening Mass, or it could have been you went to a funeral Mass, or to a wedding nuptial Mass. Well, you can receive the Eucharist there, too.

However, if you already received the Eucharist that day, and went to an event - and you are somewhere where the Eucharist is being given (a Communion Service - I cannot think of what else), that is not a Mass, then you cannot receive again.

That’s all it means.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.