The Eucharist

Alright, I need some help with something. I am trying to think of the eucharist in more than just the phrase “Body of Christ”. I know it is but, I am having a hard time picturing it in my minds eye. And I fiqure if I am ever in a discusion (and I will not lie for my own benifeit) it would be nice to be able to say something for about it. Could someone help me in putting The real precense into something mysical and more than a phrase? Thank you.

Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church which will tell you everything you need to know about the Eucharist.

Jesus really is present in the Eucharist and what you are receiving at Communion is the Bread of Life.

Montie:

Grab a hold of one of St. Justin Eymard’s books. He explores the depth of the Blessed Sacrament. St. Thomas Aquinas also has so much to say about it. I cannot at this point remember the particular work, but the Summa has it.

But first and foremost, it is a mystery not to be confined to scientific formulations because science simply is not wide enough to include the supernatural in its scope. Secondly, this mystery is one that Christ by design hinged on faith. There’s no way of believing His presence in this way without faith.

Hope you find the references above. It has helped me have a greater love for the Blessed Sacrament.

in XT.

It is the most precious gift of our Lord Jesus Christ and it’s a mystery.
you can read more in detail here

catholic.com/thisrock/1990/9002frs.asp

One of my very favorite topics!
Montie, If you want some mystical and powerful understanding of the Holy Eucharist, print out (all 37 pages or so of it) and study this papal encyclical by John Paul the Great Ecclesia de Eucharistia. I did and it was a very deeply moving experience for me, as well as opening my eyes to some things that I needed to know.
Pax tecum,

Perhaps you should read Ecclesia de Eucharisita, Pope John Paul II’s encyclical. It expounds on some of the mystical aspects of the Eucharist.

In defence of the Eucharist, I also like recalling a well-known quote from author Flannery O’Connor. This telling of it came from Crisis Magazine:
When clever lapsed Catholics got her goat at a dinner party by chattering about the symbolism of the Eucharist, she blurted out, “Well, if it’s a symbol, to hell with it.”
Less often quoted is what O’Connor told the correspondent with whom she shared this anecdote: “That was all the defense I was capable of, but I realize now that this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside a story, except that it is the center of existence for me; all the rest of life is expendable.”

[quote=Church Militant]One of my very favorite topics!
Montie, If you want some mystical and powerful understanding of the Holy Eucharist, print out (all 37 pages or so of it) and study this papal encyclical by John Paul the Great Ecclesia de Eucharistia. I did and it was a very deeply moving experience for me, as well as opening my eyes to some things that I needed to know.
Pax tecum,
[/quote]

I’ll print that off. I had a quick look and it looks worth reading properly. By the way I just finished my Eurcharist assignment in my “We Believe” course.

There are only two sacraments which are considered covenants. They are Marriage and Eucharist. This is no mistake, it is because the two are one. This is why I proposed to my wife with the words, “Blessed are you amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, for it shall bear my children.”.

Each and every Mass is an annunciation, a proposal brought forth by Jesus through the priest. The priest overshadows the gifts of bread and wine via the Holy Spirit just like the Angel Gabriel said unto Mary, “The Holy Spirit shall come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.”. This is why the bread and the wine become the Real Presence. We should be just like Mary and say “How can this be?”, and then say “Be it done unto me according to your word.”. Paul said that we become a New Creation in Christ, and so it is that we are born again at each and every Mass. You can see this when the priest places his hands over the gifts and says, “Come Holy Spirit over these gifts of bread and wine”.

When we were Baptized, we were espoused to Christ, the Bridegroom and now He consummates our relationship at each and every Mass for we are the bride of Christ. The husband and wife also consummate there relationship and that act is explained to us at each and every Mass by the actions of the priest, the bridegroom, and his bride, the congregation. This is why marriage is Holy and why the two are one. The husband and wife are a walking, talking Eucharist because Christ and His Eucharist is our first marriage and the bridge we walk to enter into our domestic marriages. We will never understand marriage until we understand Christ and His Eucharist.

After the consecration of the bread and wine, the priest will divide the large Host in two, displays it and saying “ This is the Lamb of God”. This division of the Body of Christ is the sign of the covenant. Therefore it is important to understand what a covenant is. A covenant is a ancient rite in which two tribe entered into a binding relationship. The sign of the covenant was the division of a two year old heifer into two halves. Now the tribes would separate into two bodies, one body to the left and one to the right watching as their leaders pass between the two halves, entering into covenant. The two leaders agreed that if any member of their tribe would disobey the terms of the covenant, that that leader would be divide just like the two year old heifer was divided. This is why covenants must be taken seriously. In covenant the two tribes became one tribe. Another term for this is family.

Notice that in the marriage ceremony the tribes are divided into two, one to the left and the other body to the right. This establishes the covenantal relationship described above. Notice also that the married couple walk between the two tribes attending the ceremony to establish the covenant of marriage. Thus they say “Until death do us part”. This only reflect the seriousness of the covenant the couple just entered into.

These two covenants should be taken seriously. The couples in marriage and the Eucharist are bound together by God. As the first Adam said “Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh”. Just like the Eucharist though divided came from one Host, the couple though divided, husband and wife, are one family.

This is why covenants are a firm sign of unity, and why the church is called the Body of Christ. A family can not survive without the truth, not our church family nor our domestic families. Speak it, look at it, live it, do not be afraid of the truth.

[quote=thistle]I’ll print that off. I had a quick look and it looks worth reading properly. By the way I just finished my Eurcharist assignment in my “We Believe” course.
[/quote]

Great course isn’t it?!! :smiley:

[quote=Church Militant]Great course isn’t it?!! :smiley:
[/quote]

It sure is!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.