The Eucharist

A friend of mine is a cradle Catholic, though is converting because of things such as the Eucharist. Where other than John 6 can I find some good passages supporting the Cahtolic beliefs, and how do you counter the “God says not to eat flesh and drink blood” argument without saying that Jesus made a new covenant because I guess we must have made that one up?

Chapters 10 and 11 of 1 Corinthians also talk about the Eucharist.

As far as the don’t eat flesh and drink blood:

1. What we eat does not have the appearance of flesh and blood but of bread and wine.
  2. What we eat is no ordinary human flesh and blood but the flesh and blood of a God-man.
  3. Jesus Christ is called our “paschal lamb” (1 Corinthians 5:7-8), i.e., our passover lamb, a reference to the passover lamb that the Jews had to eat. (Exodus 12)

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]A friend of mine is a cradle Catholic, though is converting because of things such as the Eucharist. Where other than John 6 can I find some good passages supporting the Cahtolic beliefs, and how do you counter the “God says not to eat flesh and drink blood” argument without saying that Jesus made a new covenant because I guess we must have made that one up?
[/quote]

God only said this in reference to earthly animals, and humans. The Old testament considered the blood of the animal to be the life giving force. So If you drank it’s blood, you were taking on it’s life’s force.

An example of this are the Pagans and other cultures. They believed that if you drank the blood after you killed the animal, that, you absorbed it’s power, or it’s life. American Indians did something similar, by eating the raw liver of the bear, and absorbing all it’s power.

With this line of thinking in mind, don’t you think it would be really awesome, if we absorbed the life giving force of God by drinking his blood and eating his flesh? Well I do, anyways.

Regards,
Calvin

Rand:

Give your buddy Scott Hahn’s conversion story on CD. It’s available at St. Joseph Communications. He gives a really good common sense analysis of John 6 and the BIG PICTURE of the idea of Covenants which is directly connected to the Holy Eucharist. Plus it’s a great story to hear.

in XT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.