The Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano

Anyone know about this?

The miracle of Lanciano
In the city of Lanciano, Italy, around A.D. 700, **a priest of the Church of St. Legontian had trouble believing in the transubstantiation of the bread and wine. **During the Mass, when he said the words of consecration (This is my Body…This is my Blood), he saw the bread change into live flesh and the wine change into live blood, which coagulated into five globules, irregular and differing in shape and size. He was frightened and confused by the miracle, and stood a while as if in divine ecstasy, but eventually he turned his face to the congregation, and said “Behold the Flesh and the blood of our Most Beloved Christ.” At those words, the congregation members ran to the altar and began to cry for mercy.

Various ecclesiastical investigations have been conducted upon the miracle since 1574, and the evidence of the miracle remains in Lanciano to this day. In 1970-71, Professor Odoardo Linoli, eminent Professor in Anatomy and Pathological Histology and in Chemistry and Clinical Microscopy, and Professor Ruggero Bertelli of the University of Siena, conducted a scientific investigation into the miracle. The report was published in Quaderni Sclavo di Diagnostica Clinica e di Laboratori in 1971, and reaffirmed by a scientific commission appointed by the Higher Council of the World Health Organization in 1973.[1] The following conclusions were drawn:[2]

The Flesh of the miracle is real Flesh and the Blood is real Blood.
The Flesh and the Blood belong to the human species.
The Flesh consists of the muscular tissue of the heart, which would be impossible to obtain through dissection. [dubious — see talk page]
In the Flesh we see present in section: the myocardium, the endocardium, the vagus nerve and also the left ventricle of the heart for the large thickness of the myocardium. The Flesh is a heart complete in its essential structure.
The Flesh and the Blood have the same blood type, AB, which is also the same blood type found on the Shroud of Turin and all other Eucharistic Miracles.
In the Blood there were found proteins in the same normal proportions (percentage-wise) as are found in the sero-proteic make-up of the fresh normal blood.
In the Blood there were also found these minerals: chlorides, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium.
There is no trace whatsoever of any materials or agents used to preserve the Flesh or Blood.
The Flesh and Blood of the miracle can still be seen today. The Host-Flesh, which is the same size as the large Host used today in the Latin Church, is fibrous and light brown in colour, and becomes rose-coloured when lighted from the back. The Blood consists of five coagulated globules and has an earthly colour resembling the yellow of ochre.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_miracle#The_miracle_of_Lanciano

http://www.sspxasia.com/Images/Newsletters/2000-Sep-Oct/0813-1%20Lanciano%20b.jpg

Yes, I have known about it for a long time.

Too bad hardly anyone else does.

Awesome, isn’t it?

Here is a link to other Eucharistic miracles
biblia.com/jesusart/eucharistic.htm

Very cool! Thanks!

It’s neat.

But I wonder if it isn’t the source of much protestant confusion and digust over the Eucharist…in fact, much Catholic confusion too…

Because I have found that many imagine the Catholic belief about the Eucharist to be that we recieve a little circle of bloody flesh and sip of liquid blood…when really the Eucharist is the entire person of the glorified Christ.

I love this miracle. I first read about it in the book “Eucharistic Miracles”. They help reinforce my belief in Jesus’ words and in the Real Presence.

Though I’d love to go to Lanciano to see that display, I always remember that our Lord looks upon us while present in the Host when the Priest holds it up for us to look upon Him with reverence.

Truly awesome! It is amazing there isnt more said about it. I have told some non-catholic friends of mine, but they attribute it to Satan. They give him wayyy to much power IMHO.

I have known about it for some time. It was my belief that lots of folk knew about it.

I agree that it is a pity not many know of it. And even fewer people know that it is a point of unity between the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church.

At the time when it occured in about the year 700, the south of Italy was Byzantine and not Roman. It was under the control of the Patriarch of Constantinople and not the Church of Rome (although of course we were one Church in those days.)

It was only much later in the 11th century that the Norman armies came in and displaced the Byzantine control of southern Italy. They did away with all the Byzantine churches and monasteries (an estimated 400 monasteries) and introduced the Latin Mass etc.

In this way the miracle which had begun in the Church of Constantinople came to be under the protection of the Church of Rome. So it is something holy which we share.

bookmark

I am not a biologist, could one explain the difference between AB- vs AB+ ? vs O

thanks

biology.arizona.edu/Human_Bio/problem_sets/blood_types/markers.html

I don’t know Daniel. I assume since the article didn’t imply negative the blood type in Lanciano is AB positive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.