The Eucharistic Prayer

This is a strange question, but here goes…

Eucharistic Prayer No. 3 reads (in part) as such;

"…Be pleased to confirm in faith and charity
your pilgrim Church on earth,
with your servant N. our Pope and N. our Bishop,…"

When the holy mass is being said BY the Pope or the Bishop, does he use his own name in the third person, or what? I have never been to a mass celebrated by the bishop or the pope, so I don’t know.

Anyone…?

Whenever my former Bishop celebrated Mass he said “for Francis, our Pope, and me, Bishop of this diocese…”.

I have not been at a Mass celebrated by our new Bishop yet, so I am not sure what he does.

Most of the time I have heard “with your servant Francis our Pope and me, your unworthy servant.”

our Archbishop says “and me, your unworthy servant” as well. :highprayer:

That’s what I’ve heard prayed.

Same here.

Does anyone know what the pope says? Something similar to the “unworthy servant”?

GIRM
149. The Priest continues the Eucharistic Prayer in accordance with the rubrics that are set out in each of the Prayers.

If the celebrant is a Bishop, in the Prayers, after the words N., our Pope, he adds, and me, your unworthy servant. If, however, the Bishop is celebrating outside his own diocese, after the words with . . . N., our Pope, he adds, my brother N., the Bishop of this Church, and me, your unworthy servant; or after the words especially . . . N., our Pope, he adds, my brother N., the Bishop of this Church, and me, your unworthy servant.

Thanks to modern technology, we can know exactly what the pope says…:slight_smile:

“…and govern her throughout the whole world, together with me, your unworthy servant, whom you have chosen to preside over your Church, and all those who, holding to the truth…”

That’s from the Roman Canon.

It’s from the booklet from the Mass of the Solemnity of Mary.

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2014/20140101-libretto-maria-madre-di-dio.pdf

Thank you, Father. You made my day.

You would probably hear “et me, indigno famulo tuo” or whatever it is in Spanish or Italian. (“famulus” = servant of a deity, according to Cicero per my Latin dictionary.As opposed to “servus.”)

And, if a bishop goes outside his diocese, he would say ‘et me indigno famulo tuo, et fratre meo N., Episcopo huius Ecclesiae N.’ (me, your unworthy servant, and my brother N., the Bishop of this Church of N.).

ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur40.htm

Thanks to “cut and paste”…

In Latin:
in primis, quæ tibi offerimus pro ecclesia tua sancta catholica: quam pacificare, custodire, adunare et regere digneris toto orbe terrarum: una cum me indigno famulo tuo, quem ecclesiæ tuæ præesse voluisti, et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus.

In Italian
la raccolga nell’unità e la governi su tutta la terra, con me indegno tuo servo, che hai posto a capo della tua Chiesa, e con tutti quelli che custodiscono la fede cattolica, trasmessa dagli Apostoli.

I’m sooo glad I did not have to type that!

Not that I would have noticed it unless you already mentioned it, but the Latin uses “famulo” while the Italian uses “servo.”

And to anticipate another question, here’s what happens when the Holy Father uses Eucharistic Prayer II and it’s the concelebrant saying those words rather than the pope himself:

in unione con il nostro Papa Francesco,
e tutto l’ordine sacerdotale.

in union with our Pope Francis
and all of the order of priests

(no, I don’t speak Italian, but that was easy)

That booklet was only in Italian.

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2014/20140112-libretto-battesimo-signore.pdf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.