The Eucharist's unity with the Resurrection

Since I first became Catholic, I often have thought that part of the reason why participating in the blessed sacrament brings physical resurrection is that it unites people’s flesh literally with Christ’s flesh. And Christ’s flesh is full of life, so people’s flesh is infused with life if they accept His presence in their lives and unite themselves to it.

A few days ago, a new thought occurred to me about the General Resurrection that I found highly fascinating. It occurred to me while meditating on the Assumption of Mary, in the Rosary, that just as we devour the entirety of God the Son in the Eucharist, He devours the entirety of us in the General Resurrection.

Christ gives us, in the Eucharist, His flesh and blood, soul and divinity. He gives us His entire Person. Throughout our lives, we consume the wholeness of God that He gives to us while offering Him our whole selves.

In the General Resurrection, He answers our prayer in the most perfect sense. Our unity with the Eucharist is made perfect, completed in every level of being. Our bodies, spirits and souls are “devoured” by Christ through our deaths on Earth and then consumed into Christ’s Body in the Resurrection. We offered Him our flesh as we ate His; He answers our prayer by completely consuming us at last, just as we asked Him to do. He eats our flesh and drinks our blood, for we die in Him and by Him our flesh and blood become one with the Almighty, translated into new, resurrected bodies. Just as Jesus’ eucharistic crumbs are made one with us in our bodies’ digestive systems, we, little crumbs offered to Christ in sacrifice are made one with Him in His Body in Heaven.

Just as Christ’s whole Person is offered to us in the Eucharist and we eat it and make it one with us in our bodies, translating it into a new form through the digestive process, Jesus eats our bodies through our deaths and then digests us into His Body in Heaven, making us as one with Him – or more – as material food is that we eat and drink.

I think the whole process of eating and drinking here on Earth is typological of the process of becoming one with God. In the Blessed Sacrament, what was a symbol became also a reality. In the General Resurrection, this symbol and reality will, I think, find an astoundingly magnificent fulfillment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.