The Exodus: Physical, Spiritual or Both?

The following Jewish quote implies that there is such a thing as a spiritual exodus. To make better sense of the quote, and I know that there are a lot of people on this site who do not relate to Freud to well, the Godly soul would relate to the superego or the conscience and the animal soul would relate to the sinful desires of the id.

“Mitzrayim” (Egypt) means constriction, limitation. The spiritual Egyptian exile is the animal soul’s restricting and concealing the G-dly soul so severely that the G-dly soul is compressed to the degree that it is diminished and obscured. “Exodus from Egypt” is the removal of the constriction and bounds; i.e. the intellect in the brain illuminates the heart, bringing about fine character traits translated into actual practice…
– Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak of Lubavitch

Happy Passover to our Jewish brothers and sisters!

So where is the ego in your theory?

Exodus was a reality. God at work.

Ed

It’s all Jewish theory, both the quote and Freud.

According to Freud, who is NEVER mentioned in the Tanya, or in Chabad where the quote was taken, the ego relates to the self, which mediates between the superego and the id. In the* Tanya*, however, all of our personality is from the animal soul. Moreover, the evil inclination is also from the animal soul and needs to be crushed to lift the animal soul closer to God.

A note is that the Godly soul and the animal soul reflects two separate minds, which is consistent with the bicameral brain which in psychology reflects two brains.

Yes, of course! But what you probably meant to say was that the exodus was the physical escape of the Israelites from the physical land of Egypt. But that does not mean that there may have been a spiritual exodus as well.

There was indeed.

Consider that you can get the boys and girls out of Egypt, but you still face getting Egypt out of them.

How long did it take them to quit threatening to return to Egypt? By any estimate, it took longer than shaking Red Sea sand off their toes.

ICXC NIKA.

I don’t listen to any quotes except scripture and verse. And I especially don’t listen to any Jewish quotes since they believe our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ if forever rotting in Hell in human excrement.

I hold the Jews, especially the pios, in a very high regard, and I strongly sense that they feel the same way towards us Catholics. When it comes to the OT, I listen to whatever they have to say. Before Pope Francis became pope, he was explicit in declaring Jews God’s chosen people. It’s also explicit in the Tanya that they believe all righteous Christians will have a part in the World to Come. When I look at the Jewish communities, I can clearly see that they joyfully carry the Cross!

http://forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23160&stc=1&d=1461682085

Jewish people are free to believe whatever they want.

About eight days after he said this, he took Peter, John, and James and went up the mountain to pray. While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white. And behold, two men were conversing with him, Moses and Elijah, who appeared in glory and spoke of his exodus that he was going to accomplish in Jerusalem. (Luke 9:28-31)

Moses didn’t enter the promised land but died on the mountain. Jesus entered the Holy of Holies once for all to intercede for us before the Father.

Israel sacrificed animals and fell into sin over and over. We have access to Jesus’ perfect atonement for our sin. Jesus accomplished what Israel never did. Israel’s exodus was from Egypt and that got them physical land but not freedom from sin. Jesus however, accomplished an exodus from sin on the cross.

Moses and Elijah spoke of Jesus’ exodus. Abraham saw it from afar and longed for it.

***These all died in faith, not having received what was promised, but having seen it and greeted it from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. *(Hebrews 11:13-16)

-Tim-

-Tim-

That’s a nice reply. But we as Catholics could easily say that the moment you take your mind off of God, you become a slave to sin. Remember that the first commandment of Christ is that we love God with all our soul, heart, mind and strength.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.