The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons

indystar.com/story/news/2014/01/25/the-disposession-of-latoya-ammons/4892553/

This isn’t news about the Catholic Church

Interesting…

I hope this family is blessed through this whole affliction.

Michael

This story is especially interesting to me since I live about 25 minutes from this house.

That picture of the ghost in the window is really creepy.

This is an interesting story. Since the 3rd exorcism was performed in Latin, I wonder if that would be more effective than being performed in english? I wonder if the family became Catholic,it doesn’t say what they were before. Too bad they didn’t have any video footage of the levitation or the wall climbing. That really would be something to see. This has made some people, such as the police chief, believers that this is real, and not some medievel superstition.

The blogger at the Shameless Popery site ( catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-fascinating-exorcism-case-in-usa.html) has an interesting take on atheist reaction to this (fairly well documented) case. If God can bring good out of evil, such an instance at this may cause some to reconsider their beliefs.

This is terrifying to me…and to have so many people who have would have no motive to lie about it corroborate the story is un-nerving. I, of course, believe that it is possible. But somewhere in the back of my mind I think it is possible but not likely. To see something like this happen in real life, to real people with legitimate witnesses is terrifying. Many of my family members have not even heard about this happening. I think it should be front page news so that people can see the reality of the devil.

Frightening indeed, but that must be the intent of the pathetic spirit behind the shadows.

So, applying our fear to the absence of God will compel us towards Him. This is fortunately what this woman did. Amen!

Why should physical demon activity frighten us? We believe they exist, and even influence us at times. To “get under our skin” is most frightening! Yet, how much have they done this to us, without revealing themselves!?! Lord bring us all into deliverance. Exorcize all wickedness from our hearts, through your Son!

Michael

I found this article covering the same thing, it is pretty good.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2549165/We-lost-lives-Woman-possessed-demons-portal-hell-house-terrified-police-chief-details-familys-terrifying-ordeal.html

The company I work for is going to be interviewing the priest, Fr. Michael Maginot and posting the interview on Thursday, Feb 13, if anyone is interested.

If the word of God is so powerful, why did it take 3 separate times for it to work? I would think the the first time the demons are commanded to leave in Gods name, they would have to, right then and there…actually, I question how they could remain after being given such orders?

Thanks so much.

Here is the interview:
catholictothemax.com/blog/the-pius-hipster/interview-with-rev-michael-maginot-exorcist/

Michael

Demons seem to be given varying depths of influence/possession. Read the story of the boy possessed in Mark 9. The desciples were unable to cast him out. Jesus says, This kind requires prayer and fasting.

It is not by the excorsists own power that they are delivering the possessed, yet their faith is tested and is directly related to the results.

Michael

I think laity and religious have lost touch with the power Christ works through them when they fast. No deviate from the topic at hand. But I believe fasting is very powerful. One need only cite the Life of St. Pachomius or Antony of Egypt in order to see its fruits.

Satan is real…as is God.

Incidentally Fr. Herbert Thurston has an excellent book with evidenced cases of Poltergeists that is well work a read. Many of the phenomena in this case reminded me of what I am reading in his book.

There is no such thing as poltergeists. Demons yes.

I don’t have a formed a strong opinion on the matter but the Church has voiced no teaching on the existence of “ghosts” or “spirits” that are other then demonic.

We do not know what all of these manifestations are. I do know that some exorcists do believe that not all supernatural phenomena are do to demons.

To quote Thomas Aquinas:
Article 3. Whether the souls who are in heaven or hell are able to go from thence?
(objections…)
I answer that, There are two ways of understanding a person to leave hell or heaven. First, that he goes from thence simply, so that heaven or hell be no longer his place: and in this way no one who is finally consigned to hell or heaven can go from thence, as we shall state further on (71, 5, ad 5). Secondly, they may be understood to go forth for a time: and here we must distinguish what befits them according to the order of nature, and what according to the order of Divine providence; for as Augustine says (De Cura pro Mort. xvi): “Human affairs have their limits other than have the wonders of the Divine power,nature’s works differ from those which are done miraculously.” Consequently, according to the natural course, the separated souls consigned to their respective abodes are utterly cut off from communication with the living. For according to the course of nature men living in mortal bodies are not immediately united to separate substances, since their entire knowledge arises from the senses: nor would it be fitting for them to leave their abode for any purpose other than to take part in the affairs of the living. Nevertheless, according to the disposition of Divine providence separated souls sometimes come forth from their abode and appear to men, as Augustine, in the book quoted above, relates of the martyr Felixwho appeared visibly to the people of Nola when they were besieged by the barbarians.** It is also credible that this may occur sometimes to the damned, and that for man’s instruction and intimidation they be permitted to appear to the living; or again in order to seek our suffrages, as to those who are detained inpurgatory, as evidenced by many instances related in the fourth book of the Dialogues.** There is, however, this difference between the saints and the damned, that the saints can appear when they will to the living, but not the damned; for even as the saints while living in the flesh are able by the gifts of gratuitous grace to heal and work wonders, which can only be done miraculously by the Divine power, and cannot be done by those who lack this gift, so it is not unfitting for the souls of the saints to be endowed with a power in virtue of their glory,** so that they are able to appear wondrously to the living, when they will: while others are unable to do so unless they be sometimes permitted.

Reply to Objection 6. Although the souls of the saints or of the damned are sometimes actually present where they appear, we are not to believe that this is always so: for sometimes these apparitions occur topersons whether asleep or awake by the activity of good or wicked angels in order to instruct or deceivethe living. Thus sometimes even the living appear to others and tell them many things in their sleep; and yet it is clear that they are not present, as Augustine proves from many instances (De Cura pro Mort. xi, xii).

and as well a post from another forum:
Catechism of the Catholic Church
1021 Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ. The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. the parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul -a destiny which can be different for some and for others.

1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification or immediately,-or immediate and everlasting damnation.

So we can conclude from these that if we living beings find ourselves interacting with a deceased human entity, this entity has already faced its judgement. Therefore it may be a damned soul, in which case it may seek to cause us grave harm, or it may be a saved soul. Of the souls of the saved, it may be undergoing purgation, in which case it is in need of our prayers, or it may be a member of the Church Triumphant, and therefore be able to intercede for us with the power of the saints.

Source for this reply:phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123263-ghosts-and-poltergeists-herbert-thurston-sj/

What I am basically saying is that there are no “ghosts” per say stuck in no-mans land, but merely either damned souls, demons, or saints/those of heaven. As to communication with such spirits obviously the invocation of the help of the saints is only advised.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.