The eye of the needle

The only way a camel could get through that city gate was on its knees, and even then the low arch would scrape everything from its back.

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Do you have a question?

Sorry, but it wasn’t a gate. That’s just a Christian urban legend. There’s no hard evidence of any narrow gate or a gorge in Jerusalem - or in any other ancient city - being called “[eyes of the] needles”. It’s just like what the Jerome Biblical Commentary says: “The figure of the camel and the eye of the needle means exactly what is said; it does not refer to a cable or a small gate of Jerusalem.”

Patrick: does it matter that my grandsons’ understanding of Jesus’ words is based on those words?

I’m sorry, I didn’t get it clearly. :confused: Are you asking does it matter if your grandson believes the ‘eye of the needle = gate’ interpretation?

They understood without asking that question.

Good for your grandsons. Their understanding exceeds our confusion. I absolutely did not get that from any of your posts.

I think the sense of the original was ‘impossible’ and people have naturally been looking for a loophole ever since. Isn’t that the most obvious thing? that Jesus said something hard, and people want to weasel out of it?

Thistle: that’s why Jesus liked to have the kids around underfoot, making a racket, disturbing the philosophical discussions and matters of law, the questions posed to him by the Pharisees, the Sadducees - the political and the legal sharpshooters who never let him rest with their traps and schemes.

He’d wave them all away and have a session with the kids.

“The only way a rich man can get through the gates and into heaven is on his knees, and only after leaving all he owned outside.”

Just a suggestion. This is a discussion forum. When you start a thread you should either ask a question or comment and say what your point is. This will generate more discussion than this thread has.

Is that the rule?

Its not a rule. Its common sense on a discussion forum.

I think that if we are to discuss this further, we should do it away from this forum - we have strayed far from the the thread.
Thank you. pete

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.