The fall/ Did the Jews teach we lost sanctifying grace or that the human nature became corrupted?

How do we interprit this verse

Isa 64:6 ¶ But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnessesare as filthy rags;

fit If we only lost sanctifing grace? and what are some Old testament verses that may indicate loss of sanctifing grace verses being corrupt?

As well as New testament :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell the concept of “Original Sin” wasnt really on the Jewish radar, though passages like Ps 51:5 allude to it. Psalm 51 also clearly indicates our souls being “washed” and “create in me a pure heart” which cant be done if something like the heart is corrupted.

As for Isaiah 64:6, that is one of the most abused passages of all time.5 You come to the help of those who gladly do right,
who remember your ways.

But when we continued to sin against them, you were angry.
How then can we be saved? 6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
7 No one calls on your name
or strives to lay hold of you;
for you have hidden your face from us
and made us waste away because of our sins.
Protestants badly abuse this passage thinking it means we are utterly corrupt, even after justification, but that isnt what the passage is talking about. Here is how I interpret this passage, lets say a child breaks a window, he goes and apologizes and the owner seeing it was an accident gladly accepts the apology. The next day the child comes and breaks another window, but again apologizes, the owner is a little more ticked off that you werent being careful but he accepts your apology again as genuine. The next day the child comes and breaks another window, at that point the owner is upset and wont accept an apology as good enough. The child’s apology became worthless because he continued to sin.

As with that passage above, God gladly accepts when His people do what is right, however if you continue to sin there comes a point where sacrifices and other offerings wont get you off the hook because you obviously arent really interested in changing your sinful ways. Keep in mind God gave them numerous opportunities to repent, and they kept turning back to idols and such.

The most undeniable evidence of the loss of sanctifying grace are passages that talk about us receiving the Holy Spirit in our Souls (eg Romans 5:5), implying that we didnt always have it.

Thanks makes sence to me:thumbsup:

PS: you have been a big help

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.