The Federal Takeover of Catholic Education

Although the Common Core was designed to address problems in the public schools, many Catholic schools have decided to adopt the Common Core standards also. Eager to share in the largesse of the Gates Foundation, and the promise of future federal funds, Catholic school superintendents from more than 100 Catholic dioceses across the nation have embraced the federal education standards. According to the National Catholic Register, the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA), while not formally endorsing the Common Core, has been holding workshops on how to implement the standards in Catholic schools.

crisismagazine.com/2013/the-federal-takeover-of-catholic-education

One of the many reasons we will continue to home school. Common core isn’t about education, but rather training.

Adopting use of the Common Core is not equivalent to letting the federal government control the school.

Schools in my diocese are using it and they would never have done so if there was one whiff of government takeover.

The notion of standardizing instruction across the nation, and measuring students against a single national testing norm to me sounds like a good idea.

It sure does if you believe every child learns the same way.

Much ado about, well, very little anyway. There is no federal takeover. The title of this article is overly alarmist and extremely inaccurate. On the other hand, the name of the magazine is “Crisis”. Perhaps that explains this title. :rolleyes:

From the article:

“Reflecting these concerns, Phyllis Schlafly, President of the Eagle Forum wrote a letter to the Catholic bishops warning them that in the Common Core, “conceptual math has replaced fundamentals,” and “Euclidian geometry was displaced.” She also asserted that in language arts, students are forced to read texts “in a vacuum” without contextual information, and lamented the reductions in classical literature that accompanied the Common Core.”

Understanding that Phyllis Schlafly is a person many love to hate, if what she says is true, it really is a cause for concern.

It almost seems to me that Common Core is designed to prepare a lot of kids for “the trades”, or at least prepare them for little else, and to reward those who would have gone to college anyway for having good memories.

If, indeed, classical literature is being reduced further (hard to imagine how it could be reduced without disappearing altogether) it will be replaced by writings that have not passed the test of time and, frankly, are probably acceptably “politically correct”.

We are already being surpassed by a lot of countries in the quality of public education. I fail to see why we should want it to sink even lower.

Many Catholic schools have an unrecognized blessing in that their states have “Blaine Amendments”. In those states, Catholic schools are ignored and considered “nonexistent”, thus not part of the system managed by the state. In other words, they can do what they want. That advantage should not be thrown away lightly.

I have heard complaints about “new math” for about 40 years now. Education changes and everyone always has dire predictions or conspiracy theories. Some changes really fall flat, some work. Education right now is far from perfect.

As for the above observation that all kids don’t learn the same, education curricula has been a “one size fits all” pretty much since the beginning of public education. It is teachers that have to adapt, or not.

OOOOH! Didn’t we do this 30 years ago???

Correct…the teachers have to adapt, especially in the public schools

…Catholic schools…well not so mucn.:shrug:

If the new common core curriculum is something everyone agrees on it has to be the equivalent of The Weather Channel, the most popular free live show on earth, and watered down with precipitation. However, unlike her husband, I heard Melinda Gates, a fund founder, is a Catholic, that’s encouraging… maybe.

I distrust any huge enterprise of human origin. It’s doomed.

Opinion

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.