The fight against 'good causes' that fund abortions

The United States Supreme Court appears to have struck a major blow against two types of terrorists, those known for a desire to inflict damage on American soil and those who attack innocent fetuses in the womb. By upholding an anti-terrorism law that allows the government to ban aid to designated terrorist groups on June 21, 2010, the Court may have unknowingly aided Catholics fighting to stop non-profit organizations that quietly redirect funds to known abortion providers.

Case in point? The Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, best known for its “Race for the Cure” and many legitimate good works, has been a long-time distributor of funds to Planned Parenthood. The Komen Foundation has traditionally given significant dollars in the name of breast cancer prevention programs offered by Planned Parenthood, America’s unquestioned leading provider of abortions.

Many have argued that it is ridiculous to conclude that money given for one purpose at Planned Parenthood isn’t money given (in the long run) to make an evil organization even stronger. Make no mistake--Planned Parenthood’s primary business is evil. As a result, many reasonable Christians conclude that the followers of Christ should not be associated with strengthening the wicked.

The government reached a similar conclusion when it decided that “material support” should not be given by the United States to foreign terrorist organizations. Fortunately, the Supreme Court agreed. In issuing its opinion, the court helped support the argument of those who believe Catholics should not be supporting the Komen Foundation if it continues to fund any programs at Planned Parenthood.

Chief Justice John Roberts said, in his opinion for the Court, that material support intended even for benign purposes can help a terrorist group in other ways.

"Such support frees up other resources within the organization that may be put to violent ends," Roberts said in an opinion joined by five other justices.

In this case, Roberts, a Catholic, was referring to maintaining the government’s right to a vital terrorism-fighting tool. The argument, however, is perhaps even more applicable to the sins associated with the Komen Foundation’s reprehensible association with collecting money in the name of cancer research and then redirecting it to an arguably terroristic organization known for historically shedding more blood on American soil than perhaps any other.

Where is the article? and...

. In issuing its opinion, the court helped support the argument of those who believe Catholics should not be supporting the Komen Foundation if it continues to fund any programs at Planned Parenthood.

how does this prevent funds from going to Komen Foundation OR PP? Neither are terrorist organizations.

[quote="AZ85086, post:1, topic:202897"]
By upholding an anti-terrorism law that allows the government to ban aid to designated terrorist groups on June 21, 2010, the Court may have unknowingly aided Catholics fighting to stop non-profit organizations that quietly redirect funds to known abortion providers.

Chief Justice John Roberts said, in his opinion for the Court, that material support intended even for benign purposes can help a terrorist group in other ways.

[/quote]

I know things have changed a lot since I last lived in the States, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard about it if the Supreme Court has added Planned Parenthood to the States' list of terrorist organizations.

So I don't see in what way your arguement holds up?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.