The Final Pope? - Prophecy of St Malachy

Are we to believe that we are on the Final Pope before the Second coming?

No. Those “prophecies” are a fraud and the province of late-night radio.

No, we are not. The Malachy prophecies are highly questionable, and much evidence has been given to show that the real St. Malachy did not create them at all.

Here are a few threads that address the topic:

Are we bound by the writings of Ss. Faustina & Malachy?
Is the St. Malachy Prophecy being fulfilled?

This ancient canard is the theological STD of our time. It simply cannot be cured. From the Wiki:

"Saint Malachy (Middle Irish: Máel Máedóc Ua Morgair; Modern Irish: Maelmhaedhoc Ó Morgair) (1095 – 2 November 1148) was an Irish saint and Archbishop of Armagh, to whom were attributed several miracles and an alleged vision of 112 Popes later attributed to the apocryphal (i.e. of doubtful authenticity) Prophecy of the Popes. It is now believed by scholars that this document was a forgery created by Cardinal Girolamo Simoncelli."

No. In the first place, even without evidence of fraud or error we are not obligated to put faith in private revelations.
In the second place as several people have now said, there is evidence that the ‘prophecies of Malachy’ are fraudulent.

**The short answer is “no.”
And that is because that, according to a correct reading of the Prophecy of the Popes, our blessed Francis is not the last on the list. **

THIS^^^^^

It’s a fake.

The Church has had over 450 years to officially reject the prophecy, yet it never has.
In 1942 the Church produced a documentary entitled: “PASTOR ANGELICUS” (the prophecy’s motto for Pope Pius XII.)
In my mind that constitutes a tacit endorsement.

The author of the Prophecy of the Popes was a Benedictine monk by the name of Fr. Arnold Wion. For unknown reasons he attributed his list of papal mottoes to St. Malachy.
He may have needed to do that to avoid attention from the Inquisition. Fr. Wion may also have had a political motive. His friend, Cardinal Girolamo Simoncelli, was a candidate for Pope in 1590 and was the Cardinal of Orvieto (Latin for “old city.”) Wion’s motto for that forthcoming pope was “Ex antiquitate Urbis,” or “From the old City.” The ploy did not work, and Gregory XIIII, who had only a tenuous connection to an “old city,” was elected.

Whether or not this Prophecy is valid should be decided on its merits. It should not be dismissed simply because Fr. Wion engaged in the subterfuge of attributing his work to St. Malachy.

:thumbsup:

I only wish.

Aside from the fact that Pope Pius XII used his Prophecy of the Popes motto to title his autobiographical film, we might also note that the great Pope St. Pius X referred to the motto “Religio depopulata,” for his immediate successor.
Out of respect for these people, I would suggest that referring to the Prophecy of the Popes as a theological “STD” is not correct.

An article by Dr. Peter Chojnowski says this:

**Pope St. Pius X, in the spring of 1914, . . .said: “I am sorry for the next Pope. I will not live to see it, but it is, alas, true that Religio depopulata is coming very soon. Religio depopulata!” **
drchojnowski.blogspot.com/2001/10/pope-saint-pius-x-prophet-of-great-war.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.