The Finding in the Temple

I was praying the Rosary this morning with Bible in hand. (Sometimes the mind really needs help in the mornin'.) When I got to the 5th Joyful Mystery a verse stood out to me* and I've been pondering it a bit.

48 And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously."
49 And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"
**50 And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them.*
51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. (Luke (RSV) 2)

Wow...Mary and Joseph didn't understand...it gives hope to a sinner like me!
Couldn't tell ya how many times that's been read, and yet I still get discouraged when I don't understand God's Word or teachings handed on to us by His Church. Maybe now I won't feel so bad when I don't get it.

This led me to look up the verses with Biblia Clerus and a Catechism entry was found:

The finding of Jesus in the temple is the only event that breaks the silence of the Gospels about the hidden years of Jesus.(226) Here Jesus lets us catch a glimpse of the mystery of his total consecration to a mission that flows from his divine sonship: "Did you not know that I must be about my Father's work?"(227) Mary and Joseph did not understand these words, but they accepted them in faith. Mary "kept all these things in her heart" during the years Jesus remained hidden in the silence of an ordinary life. (1997 Catechism of the Catholic Church 534)

This was a great reminder that I don't necessarily have to understand it, but trust God and have faith in His Church....and maybe, God willing, it'll sink in eventually.

Just thought this might be of help to someone else too. :compcoff:

... now where's the "Like" button for this post? ... (:thumbsup:)

With Mary's help the Holy Spirit cut through this concrete skull of mine, so I had to share. :D

Thank you for sharing this.. I actually never stopped to think about that verse! :thumbsup:

All I can say is, Amen! :thumbsup:

Today's was something similar with the 1st Glorious Mystery:

6 ... Simon Peter ...went into the tomb; he saw the linen cloths lying,
7 and the napkin, which had been on his head, not lying with the linen cloths but rolled up in a place by itself.
8 Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; 9 for as yet they did not know the scripture, that he must rise from the dead. (John (RSV) 20)

I can't help but think that St. John learned a lot from Mary when he "took her to his own home" (John 19:27).

It's comforting to know that the 1st pope and the other disciple went through a learning curve too.

It's also nice to know that Mary is helping us.

Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother's love." (1997 Catechism of the Catholic Church 501)

Here's another verse to ponder:
"When they saw Him, they worshipped, but they doubted." (Matthew 28:17)
The eleven disciples were on a mountain in Galilee after the Resurrection. Looks like we are in good company when we don't understand--as long as we love.:confused::hug1::heart:

Thanks for the verse, Cwoosley!

Yeah, we're in good company when we doubt, lack understanding, etc.

I think that's why we have the new commandment and the Golden Rule:

12 So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew (RSV) 7)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John (RSV) 13)

35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." (Matthew (RSV) 22)

And then when I think about how some of the Saints are children, live simply, or aren't all the intellectual elite.... It does a world of good in the hope department! :extrahappy:

Three days ,Jesus is lost to Mary ,in the Temple.Three days,Jesus is lost to Mary,In the Tomb. Doing his Father's business.Mary pondered these things in her heart.

[quote="HillbillyHermit, post:1, topic:325263"]
I was praying the Rosary this morning with Bible in hand. (Sometimes the mind really needs help in the mornin'.) When I got to the 5th Joyful Mystery a verse stood out to me* and I've been pondering it a bit.

Wow...Mary and Joseph didn't understand...it gives hope to a sinner like me!
Couldn't tell ya how many times that's been read, and yet I still get discouraged when I don't understand God's Word or teachings handed on to us by His Church. Maybe now I won't feel so bad when I don't get it.

This led me to look up the verses with Biblia Clerus and a Catechism entry was found:

This was a great reminder that I don't necessarily have to understand it, but trust God and have faith in His Church....and maybe, God willing, it'll sink in eventually.

Just thought this might be of help to someone else too. :compcoff:

[/quote]

It may be that they did not understand his words, but I think he was telling them they should not have looked for him elsewhere, but in the temple.

It would have been very natural for him to be in the Temple. Even this is mysterious.

[quote="Chasmith, post:9, topic:325263"]
Three days ,Jesus is lost to Mary ,in the Temple.Three days,Jesus is lost to Mary,In the Tomb. Doing his Father's business. Mary pondered these things in her heart.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I wonder, were the 3 days when Jesus was lost a preparation for Mary -- a prefiguring event to prepare her for Our Lord's 3 days in the tomb.

[quote="sirach2v4, post:10, topic:325263"]
It may be that they did not understand his words, but I think he was telling them they should not have looked for him elsewhere, but in the temple.

It would have been very natural for him to be in the Temple. Even this is mysterious.

[/quote]

I know, but my whole point was that Mary and Joseph didn't understand, at least at that moment. It seemed to jump out at me, and I thought that others here could also benefit from that. Some, probably many, of us won't know the original biblical languages or become scholars and theologians, etc. BUT, at least we might find some comfort knowing that even the Blessed Virgin, full of grace, did not understand some things and had to kind of wrestle with them, for lack of better words this late at night.
And the annunciation.... we don't have the details as to what was going through her mind. To be a young woman -a virgin- not yet married, at that time and in that culture, to be told she's going to have a son. And not just any son, the Son of God! I wonder what went through her mind before saying yes to that. Did she understand all that could happen? Or, was her faith and trust so strong that all the could-be thoughts and worries never entered her mind?

And do I have what it takes to hear the Word of God and let it go right to my heart, mind, and soul deeper than ever to follow Him wherever He'll lead me?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.