The first followers of Yeshua were Nazarenes, not Christians?

Someone brought up to me that the first followers of Jesus were Nazarenes or followers of the way. He said that Christians changed the teachings, beliefs, and scriptures to distort the faith of the Apostles and build the “Church”. I was under the impression that the Nazarenes were just one of the smaller groups who followed Jesus. Could someone tell me a little bit about the history of the Nazarenes and why they weren’t the first legit followers of Jesus?

[quote=ND Mike]Someone brought up to me that the first followers of Jesus were Nazarenes or followers of the way. ?
[/quote]

as with all such allegations, the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, it is not up to you to prove it false. Ask for his biblical evidence, and use that to guide your response.

Their source was a copy and paste job from the following sites:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazarenes#Patristic_references_to_.22Nazarenes.22

geocities.com/paulntobin/nazaebion.html

ancientpaths.org/APJTnazandeb.html

geocities.com/paulntobin/nazarenes.html

earlychristianwritings.com/gospelnazoreans.html

[quote=ND Mike]Someone brought up to me that the first followers of Jesus were Nazarenes or followers of the way. He said that Christians changed the teachings, beliefs, and scriptures to distort the faith of the Apostles and build the “Church”. I was under the impression that the Nazarenes were just one of the smaller groups who followed Jesus. Could someone tell me a little bit about the history of the Nazarenes and why they weren’t the first legit followers of Jesus?
[/quote]

It was in Antioch (now in modern day Syria) where Christians were first called Christians. A Nazarene is any person which is from or around Nazareth, Judea (now Israel). So anyone, a Jew, pagan or Muslim can be called a ‘Nazarene’. Let’s see Acts 11:26…

And they conversed there in the church a whole year: and they taught a great multitude, so that at Antioch the disciples were first named Christians.

(Douay-Rheims translation)

Let’s also see Acts 26:28

And Agrippa said to Paul: In a little thou persuadest me to become a Christian.

So, we know now that even the Apostles had no problems with being called ‘Christians’, so, if it’s good enough for the Apostles, it’s good enough for me.

I’m sorry, but these people are ignorant of history.
The “Nazarenes” as has been rightly stated already were nothing more than the folks that lived in the region of Nazareth, where the Holy Family lived upon their return from Egypt. hence “Jesus the Nazarene”

However here’s some info on them called Ebionites

There is a Jewish cult called "Nazarites "

There is also discussion of The Essenes another Jewish cult that some say Jesus was part of.

All of this is of course complete hooey since everyone knows that Jesus was a card-carrying, King James only, tongues-speaking, fundamentalist with light skin and blue eyes…maybe even blonde. :bigyikes: :whistle:
Pax vobiscum,
(Anyone know the Latin for “Yeah…right.”:whacky: )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.