The five stages of religious persecution - Msgr. Charles Pope

Attn Mods: I recognize that this thread has the potential to get political in nature. I requested guidance from another moderator about where to start this thread and this is the forum which was suggested.

blog.adw.org/2012/11/some-thoughts-on-the-five-stages-of-religious-persecution/

It is rare that a respected segment of American life would become vilified and hated overnight. The usual transformation from respect to vilification goes in stages which grow in intensity. And hereby the Church, once a respected aspect of American life, along with the Protestant denominations has become increasingly marginalized and hated by many. It may help us to review these stages of persecution since it would seem that things are going to get more difficult for the Church in the years ahead. Generally there are distinguished five basic stages of persecution.

By way of giving due credit I want to say that these stages were recalled to me by Johnette Benkovic, of Women of Grace EWTN. She spoke at a recent fundraiser here in DC for WMET 1160 AM, Our Catholic Radio Station in the Guadalupe Radio Network. She gave a wonderful talk and a summons to courage. And among the things she set forth was a sober vision of how we have come to this current place where the culture is increasingly hostile to Christians and to Catholics particularly. The stages are from her talk, the commentary is my own.

A sobering look at where we are at, and where we are headed.

I agree with the Monsignor's observations. I'm blessed enough to hear his sermons at our Solemn TLM once a month. He knows what's up.

[quote="jwinch2, post:1, topic:305008"]
Attn Mods: I recognize that this thread has the potential to get political in nature. I requested guidance from another moderator about where to start this thread and this is the forum which was suggested.

[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has examined the Holocaust in this way.

The 5 stages of religious persecution:

1. Stereotyping the target group.
  2. Vilifying the target group for alleged misconduct or crimes.
  3. Marginalizing the target group's role in society.
  4. Criminalizing the target group or its works.
  5. Persecuting the target group outright.

It indeed obvious to see that the Democrats (via the HHS Mandate, the lies of high Profile Political figures like Biden, Sebellius and Pelosi in regard to what is accepted Catholic teaching) are already effecting this procedure of persecution of Catholics.

No doubt the Scriptures will soon become 'Hate Speech' like in Canada....

Augustinian Father Robert Prevost reads from his address to the world Synod of Bishops on the new evangelization. Father Prevost discusses the need for the church to adequately respond to the challenges posed by modern mass media.

youtube.com/watch?v=WttXvZt3m6k&feature=g-u-uWe

Father Prevost suggests the fathers of the church as model evangelists for the 21st century.

youtube.com/watch?v=uLkGBu0y1pQ&list=UUDfNrxA5dMp0co1siQOLrjg&index=6&feature=plcp

The truth of the matter is that we are fighting this battle on many fronts. We have direct attacks such as the HHS mandate, being forced out of adoption work, etc. However, there also exist the indirect attacks which have been going on for decades. It is this indirect assault on the Church and what she stands for that has allowed for the boldness shown in the direct attacks to take place without massive repercussions on those making the attack.

Indeed. With 50% of Catholics voting for a rabidly Pro -Abort, Anti - Religous Freedom President - seriously, what do we* expect* to happen? :shrug::cool:

I simply fail to understand some people ................

Well, we are forewarned. Sadly, many will not even notice the oppression until is becomes too entrenched to roll back.

[quote="jwinch2, post:1, topic:305008"]

[/quote]

Secularism will not defeat Islam. Islam will crush secularism and Pelosi, Biden, Sebeillus, Hillory, etc. will be on their knees five times a day bowing to the East. I can't wait to see that !!!

[quote="Nimzovik, post:7, topic:305008"]
...I simply fail to understand some people ................

[/quote]

They are rationally ignorant. They perceive that their one vote won't make any difference one way or the other on the margin, so they don't spend any time on where the candidates stand on the issues. They simply rely on superficial considerations like their oratory skills.

The church has always flourished under persecution; the real danger is becoming irrelevant to a disinterested populace.

Well, we are already at Stage 4. Religious persecution cannot conquer the Church; however, it can result in the apostasy of many.

[quote="JimG, post:12, topic:305008"]
Well, we are already at Stage 4. Religious persecution cannot conquer the Church; however, it can result in the apostasy of many.

[/quote]

Agreed. It can also force us back to the catacombs, or some semblance thereof.

I listened to Johnnette discussing this on her radio show this week and it was indeed very sobering. We will persevere, but how difficult things get for us God only knows. Pray the Rosary! :gopray:

[quote="Nimzovik, post:5, topic:305008"]

No doubt the Scriptures will soon become 'Hate Speech' like in Canada....

[/quote]

There are "human rights" tribunals that will fine private citizens for even publicly saying that homosexual acts are sinful up here.

Pray those Divine Mercy Chaplets, people!

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history." - Cardinal George

ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed#ixzz2CdCSws4G

[quote="BobCatholic, post:16, topic:305008"]
"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history." - Cardinal George

ncregister.com/blog/tim-drake/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-ill-die-in-my-bed#ixzz2CdCSws4G

[/quote]

“Previous generations of social experimenters have caused unimaginable misery for millions of people. None of them have ever been held accountable.” – Thomas Sowell

[quote="JimG, post:12, topic:305008"]

[/quote]

I think we're at three soon to be four.

feedproxy.google.com/~r/zenit/english/~3/DM6hFs0bz7I/rssenglish-36020

[quote="Nimzovik, post:7, topic:305008"]
Indeed. With 50% of Catholics voting for a rabidly Pro -Abort, Anti - Religous Freedom President - seriously, what do we* expect* to happen? :shrug::cool:

I simply fail to understand some people ................

[/quote]

I suspect that most of them voted for what the see in the mirror.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.