The former Pope's master of ceremonies opens to the recognition of gay couples

From Vatican Insider:
“It is necessary to recognize the union of persons of the same sex, because there are many couples that suffer because their civil rights aren’t recognized. What can’t be recognized is that this union is equivalent to marriage”
“It’s a breath of fresh air; it’s opening a window onto springtime and onto hope. We had been breathing the waters of a swamp and it had a bad smell. We’d been in a church afraid of everything, with problems such as Vatileaks and the paedophilia scandals. With Francis we’re talking about positive things”. With the new Pope, added Mgr. Marini, “there’s a different air of freedom, a church that’s closer to the poor and less problematic”.

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/marini-cerimoniere-gay-24232/

See Fr. Z’s take on it.

When will this stop?

I’m trying to be patient Pope Francis, I’m trying.

How completely inappropriate and uncharitable. Aside from anything else, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is still alive. How could Archbishop Marini be so unkind as to say such a thing? This kind of support, Pope Francis does NOT need. But just because someone says something bad and at the same time supports our Pope, it doesn’t mean that the Pope is in any way supportive of the bad thing said.

–Jen

I feel sick to my stomach when I read such things. Fr.Z’s comment (link above) was really helpful in putting it into perspective. I don’t expect these things to stop and my hope lies in a new generation of priests who will be free of such ideological agenda.

Marini will be sorely disappointed at some point, obviously. And when he is, I predict his admiration for Francis will turn to hatred.

Not very surprised, but quite saddened. It stood to reason that there would be some elements within the Church who held such views.

But I agree with the posters above that if he thinks Pope Francis is going to recognize “gay civil unions”, he is going to be very disappointed. :smiley:

Please remember that a bishop is as fallible in matters of faith and morals as anybody else :sad_yes: We hold on to what the Church teaches, and the Church’s teaching is laid out in a 2003 document titled “Considerations Regarding Proposals to give Legal Recognition to unions between Homosexual Persons”:

• There are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family. Under no circumstances can they be approved”.

• In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application.

• The Church teaches that respect for homosexual persons cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behaviour or to legal recognition of homosexual unions.

The document in question, issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith and expressly approved by the Pope has the same status as the Catechism: it demands religious submission of mind and will.

Make no mistake out of a false sense of charity: we hold fast to the Teaching, proclaim it without fear, and beware of whoever doesn’t.

What has he to do with this? :shrug:

He’s not the Pope, so there’s nothing to see here.

I made a thread about this story yesterday, and it was deleted.

Stunner.

Thanks markomalley! I first saw it on Fr Z’s blog and I thought I’d post the Vatican Insider article here. Father Z. really hit the nail right on the head!

I would say that apostasy and the vilification of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI are more than “nothing”.

Wow, his bashing of Benedict XVI is so unnecessary and needlessly divisive. I mean, I’m not a Traditionalist (I haven’t been a Catholic long enough for that :wink: ) but I do love our Pope Emeritus. I was really drawn by his intellect and brilliant theology - and he was the Pope when I converted :thumbsup:

Maybe this Bishop needs to learn what my dad always told me - If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Just letting you know that the rules in the Catholic News forum require that you use the title of the article as the title of the thread. As such, this is probably going to end up getting closed before long. You might consider PM’ing the moderation staff to see if they would allow you to change the title.

As for the rest, I agree that this is highly disturbing. If anyone can demonstrate how it is possible for someone to support homosexual civil unions that is not at the same time supporting the mortal sin of gay sexual relationships, which according to the Church are intrinsically disordered, I am open to hearing about it. I cannot intellectually equate the support of such unions with the Church’s teachings on how those who have homosexual tendencies are called, as are all Catholics, to live a life of chastity.

Consider the fact that Msgr. Marini may have been misquoted. Abyssinia posted something in another thread that showed how Cardinal Schoenborn had been grossly misinterpreted.

It is not uncommon for journalists to cut/paste/misquote/rearrange someone’s words to fit their own agenda or to dicredit someone.

Can anyone vouch for “Vatican Insider” ? Is it the same as “Inside the Vatican” ?

It’s possible that the writer is not being straightforward, but trying to put things in a sensationalistic light.

Vatican Insider tends to be pretty reliable from what I have seen. They certainly do not have the same reputation as The Tablet, per the Cardinal Schoenborn article you are referring to. Having said that, I very much hope they are entirely wrong this time, and this turns out to be a big misunderstanding.

Also, so that things are clear, this article refers to Archbishop Marini, who was the Master of Ceremonies towards the end of JP2’s pontificate and at the beginning of B16’s. Msgr. Marini was the Master of Ceremonies from then on, and remains thus far under Pope Francis.

Confusing huh? :eek:

Thank-you so much for letting me know! I will do that right away.

That was not Monsignor Guido Marini, current papal MC. The quotes come from Archbishop Piero Marini, former papal MC. Confused yet?

No problem. That one got me in the past as well!

+Pax

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.