The Four Winds

“And then they will see the sun of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory, 27 and then he will send out his angels to gather his elect from the four winds ffom the end of the earth to the end of the sky.”(Mark13:26 27).

My question that I have now do theologians and other, academics with in the Church know what was meant by “the four winds” (Mark 13:27)?

Wind, moving air, the breath of God are all themes in the Bible.

The word spirit comes from the Latin word spiritus which means breath. In Greek it is pneuma from which we get the words pneumatic and pneumonia. The Hebrew word ruah (roo-ah) has a very beautiful nuance - it denotes God’s life giving force, his creative activity.

God’s creative spirit is moving and active.

and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters (Genesis 1:2)

God’s spirit gives life to man.

then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7)

God’s life giving breath raises the dry bones, an army of people back to life. .

Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord GOD: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live." (Ezekiel 37:9)

Notice that the breath “comes from the four winds” meaning north, south, east and west - all of creation. God’s spirit inhabits everything and is everywhere. King David acknowledges that the Holy Spirit is everywhere.

Whither shall I go from thy Spirit?
Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend to heaven, thou art there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, thou art there!

(Psalm 139:7-9)

Mark echo’s Ezekiel when he says that the angels will come from “the four winds.” We see the same thing at the end of time.

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree. (Revelation 7:1)

The angels hold back God’s life giving spirit from all of creation. That’s the end right there. No more salvation. Those who have not repented have missed the boat.

-Tim-

Angels are also messengers. In a historical sense, you could also see Jesus referring to the sacking of Jerusalem and the spread of Christian messengers across the globe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.