"The Four Witnesses" may be the best book ever written

I have a lot of books and most I use for reference, but never have I sat in my chair and read for 3 hours at a time enraptured by it’s historic story and presentation as this book. This book may be the best Catholic apologetic book ever published.Why? Because it tells the story of four very early church fathers who knew or indirectly knew the apostles themselves. It tells what they said, how they lived and what they really believed. It is put in a powerfully moving story of their lives and so this explains what they meant with what they wrote. It is packed with historic footnotes as well.

And the way it is written, the book draws you back into their time as would a novel, but it is not a novel, but a living REAL story of four great early church fathers. And when your done reading this book you will realize that the church of their time was 100 % Catholic through and through. I urge everyone to read this book. If this book doesn't prove to be the best book you'll ever read then tell me of one better. Has anyone else really read this book?

I agree that *Four Witnesses * is a great read. The author’s presentation of these early church leaders gives you a feel of what it was like to live in those times. Early Church history is not mysterious. It is well presented here.

Not exaggerating when I say that it changed my worldview. Highest recommendation.

Jesus: The Four Witnesses A distinguished team is now working on the development of The Four Witnesses into a four-part PBS docudrama: the author Robin Griffith-Jones; the acclaimed film-maker David Kennard; and South Carolina’s PBS station, South Carolina Educational TV.

The docudrama sets out to tell the stories of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as sharply diverging yet inter-linked accounts which offer a depth and perspective that no single presentation could match.

Definitely one of the best books I have ever read, whether it be a novel, history, or apologetic in nature!

For anyone who has not yet read it…do yourself a favor! :slight_smile:

Is this the Four Witnesses by Bennett? He was on the Journey Home of EWTN just this last Monday.

Thank you for the tip. I’ve seen that book in a catholic bookstore in Houston.

In XT.
A

Yes Aquinas, that is the same man. I hope Catholic Answers gets him on their team. He is a wonderful person and a great author.

I’m in the process of reading it now (just about to finish Iraneus), and as a Catholic I find it a great read and edifying, but I’m dubious as to what the value would be for a Protestant to read it. I don’t think it would hold their interest or sway their thought. Sometimes my eyes glazed over after the third page of discourse by a Witness. I think that some of the important language that a Catholic would pick up on quickly would be absolutely lost on a Protestant. What do you think? I hope I’m wrong.

[quote=Matt16_18]Jesus: The Four Witnesses A distinguished team is now working on the development of The Four Witnesses into a four-part PBS docudrama: the author Robin Griffith-Jones; the acclaimed film-maker David Kennard; and South Carolina’s PBS station, South Carolina Educational TV.

The docudrama sets out to tell the stories of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as sharply diverging yet inter-linked accounts which offer a depth and perspective that no single presentation could match.

[/quote]

This is based on a different book (amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062516485/qid=1080819901/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6948813-6879318?v=glance&s=books), by a female Anglican priest. I believe the OP is talking about this book: amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898708478/ref=pd_sbs_b_1/102-6948813-6879318?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

How weird. I was just searching it on Amazon a few minutes ago, and reading the reviews. Thanks for the input!

I’m confused!

You said the book is about four of the Early Church Fathers. The book Jesus: The Four Witnesses is about the four Gospels. There is nothing in the promo material about ECF.

Are ther two different books with the title Four Witnesses?

Thanks,

Gene

I read this book a few months ago. As someone who was raised Baptist and in RCIA, I found it very helpful in showing how the early Church was Catholic. It might help some Protestants. (And IIRC, Rod Bennet was a Baptist while writing it and joined the Catholic Church afterwards.)

Oops. Maybe we are talking about two different books.

I was talking about this one , by Rod Bennett.

Not this one, which I haven’t read.

[quote=Cairisti]Rod Bennet was a Baptist while writing it and joined the Catholic Church afterwards
[/quote]

It seems amazing to me how many similar stories I’ve heard about scholars and authors who research the early church. This always jumps out at me because I reached the same conclusion about the Catholic Church after looking back at the Church Fathers (not that I am a scholar by any means).

The proper name of this great book is “The Four Witnesses” by Rod Bennett. This the correct book to purchase.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.