the Fourth commandment

Why do people not worship on the seventh day of the week?I’ve not been able to find any scripture in the bible that says it was changed.

Hmm. I’m guessing since you are SDA you know the answer, but -

it’s not in the Bible because it was still in transition at the time of the closing of the canon. In the earliest days of the Church, when believers were all Jews, they attended the synagogue on the Sabbath and celebrated Eucharist on the first day of the week-the day of the Resurrection.

As opposition to Christianity mounted, Christians were often barred from the local synagogues. (In about 90 this was formalized throughout the empire.) Simultaneously there was an increasing number of Gentile converts. Over time the synagogue service, with its hymns, prayers, Scripture readings and explication of Scripture, was appended to the Eucharistic service (which had already been shortened and ritualized from the full agape meal), giving us very much the structure of the Mass as it is celebrated to this day.

This process, of course, depends upon the authority given to the Apostles by Jesus, which, as I recall, the SDA rejects.

NHInsider did a good job answering the question, so I wanted to throw this out:

Your question assumes that the Bible is the ultimate authority when it comes to matters of faith and morals. Where in the Bible does the Bible make that claim? Where in Scripture does it say that there is no authority outside of Scripture to determine such matters?

Just something to think about…

[size=1]16[/size]Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. [size=1]17[/size]These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)

The catholic church I went to has worship services daily. I don’t know if that helps or not.

It IS in the Bible - there are several refererences in the NT to Christians meeting together to break bread (worship) on Sunday. They went to synagogue also, but Paul at least seems to have done so purely to preach to the Jews rather than worship with them - obviously much easier to do on a Saturday when all the Jews gathered!

Paul refers to taking up a church collection on a Sunday - if Sunday were NOT the main day of worship, and Saturday were, then such an act makes no more sense than your church taking up a collection on a Tuesday. :shrug:

Col 2: 16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.Notice how he says “Festival-Moon-Sabbath,” this format is Yearly-Monthly-Weekly. The term for Sabbath here is the same Greek word for the Saturday Sabbath as Mt 28:1; Lk 4:16 and Acts 16:13 show. It is even the same Greek word that appears in the Ten Commandments in Ex 20:8 (LXX).
The Mosaic Law clearly says the celebration of the Sabbath was given to the Israelites only and a sign between the Israelites and God, once the Mosaic Law was abolished, so did the legal requirements to celebrate the Sabbath.
2 Cor 3: 7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!

Gal 4: 24These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves
The Old Covenant (which Ten Commandments are the epitome of given on Sinai) was a covenant of death, condemnation, and slavery. That whole thing was abolished when Christ came.

But the Seventh Day Adventists are in worse trouble than that:
4) The Church does not serve as conscience for individuals; however, it should provide moral guidance. Abortions for reasons of birth control, gender selection, or convenience are not condoned by the Church. Women, at times however, may face exceptional circumstances that present serious moral or medical dilemmas, such as significant threats to the pregnant woman’s life, serious jeopardy to her health, severe congenital defects carefully diagnosed in the fetus, and pregnancy resulting from rape or incest. The final decision whether to terminate the pregnancy or not should be made by the pregnant woman after appropriate consultation. She should be aided in her decision by accurate information, biblical principles, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Moreover, these decisions are best made within the context of healthy family relationships.
adventist.org/beliefs/guidelines/main_guide1.html
The SDA Church OFFICIALLY allows the killing of innocent life, even if they don’t encourage it.:crying: It even says the Holy Spirit could GUIDE YOU to do it! :eek:
Thus the SDA church cannot be led by God by definition.

Let’s keep things clear, here.

The Sabbath is Saturday.

The Lord’s Day is Sunday, the “first day of the week” that is also called “the eighth day” – in short, the day of the Resurrection. In Greek, it was “kyriake hemera” or just plain “kyriake”. In Latin, it was “dies Dominica” or just plain “Dominica”.

Acts 20:7 – “And on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread…” That’s the Eucharist right there, on Sunday.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 – “Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of the week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, so that there will be no collecting when I come.” That’s taking up a collection for the missionaries, on Sunday.

(It’s also evidence that church and synagogue were already separating pretty widely, because alms were given out to widows and orphans and others in need of them on Saturday at the synagogue as part of the Sabbath, if I recall correctly. Though I probably don’t.)

Colossians 2: 16-17, in context, is all about not letting the synagoge folks judge the Christians, and the Christians not getting huffy over whether or not other Christians were doing traditional Jewish stuff.

Revelation 1:10 – “I was in the Spirit, on the Lord’s Day.”

You can read a lot of references from early Christian literature here:
catholic.com/library/Sabbath_or_Sunday.asp

Beyond that, we know that to Roman persecutors, Christians were the people who had to worship on a fixed day – the Sun’s Day (dies solis), which was a work day. So to get Mass in before work, people had to get up in the dark before dawn on that day. (This is also why the Christians’ enemies called them “gens lucifuga”, a people who flee the light.)

So if you watched a neighborhood to see who was slipping out predawn and then followed them, you could find gatherings of Christians and arrest them. The martyrs of Abitina were caught in this way, among many others. Historical fact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.