The fullness of the faith

For the first time, I heard a non-Catholic claim to have the fullness of the faith. A friend of mine who is Penecostal - Assemblies of God - told me that her church also claims to have the fullness of the faith. I have a few questions:

1. Are there other Protestant churches that make this claim?

2. When a person refuses to accept the fact that Christ established a church on earth, that church is the Catholic Church, and the Catholic Church is led by the Holy Spirit, how does one respond to the claims of a non-Catholic to have the fullness of the faith?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I want my response to her to be fruitful and charitable, and I need some help!

Hi Christina,

Every Christian SHOULD claim to have the fulness of the faith. What other reason would they have to join a particular denomination?

When dealing with non-Catholics it is better to concentrate on putting them right about what the Catholic Church really teaches. There are so many misconceptions. Once they understand about these misconceptions, their whole attitude can change. From then on, they may start asking bona fide questions. If God calls them to the Church, he will do the converting.

Robert

You cannot have the fullness of the faith and deny that the Holy Eucharist is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus - Body, blood, soul and divinity. Jesus said this, not me.

John 6:53
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
*Most Protestant denominations believe in just 2 “sacraments”: Baptism and Marriage
Because of their non-belief or rejection of the others, they cannot hope to have the fullness of the faith until they unharden their hearts.
Most of my family have rejected these beliefs as well. I pray for them daily. It is difficult to change the mind of somebody who rejects the truth. We can continue to show them the evidence and pray for them.

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome

Hi Elvis,

Most Protestant denominations do believe in only two sacraments but they are baptism and communion. Some strains of Anglicanism believe in all seven while the Salvation Army and the Quakers believe in none.

Gene

[quote=Gene C.]Hi Elvis,

Most Protestant denominations do believe in only two sacraments but they are baptism and communion. Some strains of Anglicanism believe in all seven while the Salvation Army and the Quakers believe in none.

Gene
[/quote]

Gene -
You are ABSOLUTELY right. I typed the wrong thing in my last post.
Good catch!!

• Elvisman

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.