The gift of faith?

Hello Everyone.

Of course, Christmas is heading toward us and I was thinking to giving my boyfriend a rosary. Im not sure if he’ll accept it because he’s a practicing Jehovah’s Witness and from what Ive read, they are not allowed to take any Catholic realated things. I asked him if it was okay with him if I could give him something for Christmas and he said he didnt mind at all and that he has always given out gifts for Christmas. So Im not sure if he’ll be fine with accepting the rosary. His family are very debout to that cult and Im not sure if they’ll be okay if I gave a rosary to him. Should I just get him something else? Any opinions? Thanks

God bless

I’m not sure if I would start with a rosary. It is a sacramental and deserves to be treated with respect. A non-Catholic, especially one who is actively practicing another faith, will most likely not understand it’s importance and may inadvertantly treat it in a disrespectful way.

I would maybe get him a book that introduces him to the Truth of the Catholic faith and may help clear up any of the misinformation he has already heard.

As a side note, why are you dating him? If your purpose is to find a future spouse (which it should be if you are a practicing Catholic), how do you see a marriage working out between you two? What about future children? Doesn’t sound like his family would be very accepting of their grandchildren being raised Catholic. Just some food for thought…

Merry Christmas!

Malia

As a side note, why are you dating him? If your purpose is to find a future spouse (which it should be if you are a practicing Catholic), how do you see a marriage working out between you two? What about future children? Doesn’t sound like his family would be very accepting of their grandchildren being raised Catholic. Just some food for thought…

Thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

Well, Im only a teenager so I really dont think too much about marriage, although I do ask myself why Im dating him sometimes. We really dont talk about religion because we easily get into arguements, but I do recall that one day he told me he’d convert to Roman Catholicism if we ever decided to get married. I often do feel bad for dating a non- believer which is why I want to get him closer to the Church. I dont believe in “missionary dating” so my intetions aren’t to convert him, but again, just to bring him closer to Christ’s Church.

God Bless

I pray that you follow God’s will for your life and that you have a wonderful Christmas!

God Bless,

malia

You say you can’t talk about religion or you get into fights? That doesn’t sound like someone who you would want to marry?

That being said, Ive thought about it and I don’t think a rosary is a bad gift… its something he can put in his nightstand and say if and when he is ready to. I would make sure to tell him about the rosary(history, usage, etc) so it justisn’t a piece of jewerly.

I would also tell him about Fatima and the promises made there. I’ve found people are very attracted to it. My 2 cents…

well if he doesn’t mind receiving or giving gifts as he claims then he is not a real practicing JW so perhaps there is hope

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.