The Gift of Tears

I was once told by a priest that I have the gift of tears, which means I usually weep during Mass, but mostly during the Eucharist. I am profoundly moved and the tears just flow and flow, often until the very end of Mass. It does not happen every single time, but more often than not. It started six years ago when I came home to the Church again. I am wondering how others experience this, if they have this gift of tears, and what it means to them. Thank you and God bless!

I’ve had this happen. For me it is rare, perhaps because I’m usually distracted by my children. I think it is a special gift, if sometimes a little embarassing!

I have had the ‘gift of tears’ several times in my life and now that I think about it, it was durning or just after the Eucharist!

The first time was at a Junior/Senior Boys retreat in High School. I wept uncontrollable for five minutes. The other boys just kept hugging me and telling me things will be alright. I was not feeling any distress or shame.
The tears had to be a gift, since my twin brother was there too and seeing me caused him to refocus on his spiritual life. (22 years later (2000) my brother became a priest!)

The second time was during my recent move to where I am now. I moved into an apartment and living alone for the first time ever.
There is a Catholic Church down the road within walking distance, but I had just moved in a day before and had not given a chance to go down there.
(It ends up that the Church is my return to the Byzantine RIte).
The church has a small congregation and I did not know when the Liturgy was held. SO I simply listened to the Mass of ShutIns on the radio. When it was time for the Eucharist to be given out, once I heard the priest say ‘Body of Christ’ over the radio, I uncontrollable began to cry. However this was the most profound part…Once the priest said the last ‘Body of Christ’ My tears STOPPED all at once, as if I never cried at all!

I do not know when this, if ever, happens again to me, BUT it certainly proves to ME that the Eucharist IS the Body of Christ!
(the sad thing and the most revealing thing was that after this happened, instead of going to the church I am at now, I opted to go to a non-denominal church for only 3 weeks. This action also confirmed to me that the Catholic Church is the Only true Church because I was void of the Eucharist for such a short time at the other church!

go with God!
Edwin

Although I do not personally have the gift, I would like to remind those of you who do that although it can be embarassing, thank and praise God for it! And whenever it occurs, offer your weeping as a prayer to God, just as a votive candle or incense.

Josh

I cannot count how many times that its happened to me. It’s overwhelming. The prayer of St. Francis says it all…

Let the whole of mankind tremble,
the whole world shake and the heavens
exult, when Christ, the Son of the
living God, is present on the altar
in the hands of a priest.

O admirable heights and sublime
lowliness! O sublime humility! O
humble sublimity!

That the Lord of the universe, God
and the Son of God, so humbles Himself
that for our salvation He hides
Himself under the little form of bread!

Look, brothers, at the humility of God
and pour out your hearts before Him!
Humble yourselves, as well, that you
may be exalted by Him.

Therefore, hold back nothing of
yourselves for yourselves so that He Who
gives Himself totally to you may receive
you totally

God Bless…

I love that prayer Matthew ~ Thanks.

A wannabe convert here. I often have the urge to shed tears during the Mass for various reasons, but stop myself, especially since no one in the two Catholic Churches I regularly visit knows me, and I always go alone.I don’t want to be the strange unknown man who makes a scene.

But I did go up front for the first time during the Eucharist for a blessing, and it was VERY hard to not weep then.

Then add the fact I’m usually brooding over my sins throughout the whole service…

I fear I’ll be a basket case during my first Confession.

My son and I both have the Gift of Tears – sometimes in wracking sobs (which is simply mortifying in the wrong company!) and sometimes in gentle weeping. It always comes on during fervent prayer (Eucharistic Adoration, private meditation, praying the Rosary, sometimes at Mass). It is overwhelming.

I first received it when I was in high school (30+ years ago) and didn’t know what in the heck was happening, but I knew it was of God – I was praying alone in a seminary chapel when it first happened. My son was 12 when he first received it while praying with some classmates.

We both have to carry handkerchiefs or tissues with us all the time. I no longer wear mascara!

'thann

I have experienced this usually around Advent and Lent.

Especially during Lent while doing Stations of the Cross. It can be down right embarrassing because they seem to come out of nowhere and will stop as quickly as they came on.

[quote=seeker63]A wannabe convert here. I often have the urge to shed tears during the Mass for various reasons, but stop myself, especially since no one in the two Catholic Churches I regularly visit knows me, and I always go alone.I don’t want to be the strange unknown man who makes a scene.

But I did go up front for the first time during the Eucharist for a blessing, and it was VERY hard to not weep then.

Then add the fact I’m usually brooding over my sins throughout the whole service…

I fear I’ll be a basket case during my first Confession.
[/quote]

Oh, how I pray you will allow yourself to let your tears flow, my friend! They are a blessing and can be very spiritually healing. I also pray you enroll in RCIA so you can receive the Eucharist. And please know you will not be seen as “the strange unknown man who makes a scene.” You are not apart from us in Mass, and are simply moved deeply by Our Lord. That is so awesome! And when you make your first Confession you will undoubtedly find it truly amazing, and also very, very spiritually healing. I hope you’ll keep us posted about your conversion. God bless!

All your posts are so lovely, thank you everyone! and I loved the prayer by St Frances someone posted–very beautiful. The gift of tears is really moving for me and I am so happy to know so many others have this happen also. For me it has been very spiritually and emotionally healing–it brings instant gratitude to me when I’m weeping before Our Lord. I just feel so blessed. Glory to Him!

Wow!! Can’t believe this happens to other people. Thought I was wierd. Most powerful occurence I had was right before Communion on Divine Mercy Sunday last year. I felt like there must be something wrong with me. My first Mass when returning to the faith was overwhelming also, but Divine Mercy was absolutely the strongest. So grateful to see others like me!! Thank you!!

I, too, sometimes cry at Mass.

Most recently, and since I’ve joined here (and learned that this was a gift, not just an emotional response brought on by female hormones!), I have returned fully to the Church. I’ve struggled with Confession, and when I realized my state of mortal sin, I denied myself the Eucharist…as we all should in that state. Somehow, I was “called” to Daily Mass, and I sat in the front of the Chapel.

In my church, the Daily Mass-- all 3 of them – are celebrated in the Adoration Chapel. I sat and cried throughout the entire Mass, especially when others went up to recieve Jesus…and I remianed in the pew. The next day I went to Confession after one of the morning masses.

The next time I attended Mass it was also a Daily Mass…and I was able to go to Communion. As I sat in the pew, kneeling, praying and thanking Jesus, I had the very distinct sensation of being hugged…as though Jesus had actually come to me from the alter where he stood, to personally welcome me back. I get teary thinking about it!

I am struck by tears far more often at Daily Mass, which is so intimate, than I am at the big Sunday Masses, but occasionally they catch me by surprise. It is wonderful to learn that there are so many here with the same…uh…“problem.”

Maybe there should be a “Crier’s Section” in every church! :smiley:

Hey all you wimps! Just kidding. :wink:

I have the same wonderful problem. And it has just happened to me since I have come back to the Church in the last threee years. It can happen at different parts of the Mass but most often at the Agnus Dei but at other parts too. Some days I can’t put my handkerchief away.

At first I was embarrassed but no more. The Mass is just plain wonderful.

Whit

I was also told that I also have this “gift”. I quite frankly haven’t thought of it as a “gift” rather a weakness. For I’ve been singing in church choirs all my life, and very often, the beautiful music touches my heart so much, that I have to stop singing. I cry all the time, every Mass, beautiful music, reading touching stories to my kids, even commercials. Visiting people in the hospital, weddings, you name it. I’m an ocean! I’m still waiting upon the Lord here to turn this “gift” into some sort of strength one of these days!!! Think I recall reading an article lately in a Catholic Magazine that mentioned something about it as being a Gift–and one which signifies “spiritual purity”. That’s good I guess!!!

God CAN turn what we think are our weaknesses into strengths if we wait upon Him!!!

God Bless~~

Does anyone find it odd that many with this experience are converts or “reverts” (like me) ? Another coincidence (or is it?) Is the proximity to the celebration of the Eucharist. I think this may have a special meaning. God trying to tell us something? :rolleyes:

[quote=legeorge]Does anyone find it odd that many with this experience are converts or “reverts” (like me) ? Another coincidence (or is it?) Is the proximity to the celebration of the Eucharist. I think this may have a special meaning. God trying to tell us something? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

As mention in my last post on this thread, I recieved my most recent experience as a revert.
I believe the experience I recieved has made my reverence to our Lord more intense. Except for the distractions I recieve during the Liturgy, when the Consecration of the Eucharist takes place, I’m more tuned in.

go with God!
Edwin

I am very envious (in a very sanctified way, of course) of all you weepers. At some time in my early 20s, and for reasons that I do not understand, I almost completely lost the ability to weep. Its return is something that I have prayed for frequently, but so far to no avail. I get close sometimes, but in fact, the only tears I shed are when I’m cutting onions or :crying: cartoon tears. So enjoy the gift; I would prize it very highly if I had it.

DaveBj

I’ve never thought about it, but I usually well up several times during mass and this happens about 75% of the time. I especially cry during the Eucharistic rite. I have always felt various emotions during these times, but usually they are tears with an overwhelming feeling of joy and thankfulness. I didn’t realize it might be a gift.

Another revert to the faith, and another weeper. I had no idea it was a gift. I am humbled. Thank you for sharing or else I would have had no idea I wasn’t just being overly emotional!:crying: For me it happens sometimes during the Confeitor(SP?), but most often right before or right after communion. Sometimes, I can barely choke out the words, “Lord, I am not worthy to receive…”

Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.