The Global Refugee Crisis Is a Moral Test for All of Us

Western claims to stand for human dignity and human rights usually look pretty hollow whenever a major refugee crisis hits. That is what is happening now, as millions of refugees seek asylum in Europe — and mainly run into closed doors and cold shoulders. The current crisis is a grave one. According to Amanda Taub, 19 million people today are refugees. They come from all over, though today especially from Africa and the Middle East. Four million have fled Syria since 2011. They are making global headlines as they surge into Europe, which is for many just the latest stop on a desperate odyssey.
They are dying in disturbing numbers — in rickety boats, sealed trucks, and squalid refugee dumping grounds. They are not wanted where they come from and not wanted where they are going.

Dear Lord please help all Refugees and guide us all to open our hearts and minds to remember to love our brothers and sisters just as You taught us. Please guide our political leaders to give refuge to them and guide us to put pressure on our politicians to help. Thank You Lord for hearing our prayers Amen

Eternal God , in whom mercy is endless,
and the treasury of compassion inexhastible ,
look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us ,
that in difficult moments we might not despair
nor become despondent , but with great confidence ,
submit ourselves to Your Holy Will ,
which is love and mercy itself . Amen

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

How about we address the root of the issue and through a concerted effort eliminate the radical Islamist terrorists who are driving these refugees from their homes? Otherwise, there will be no end in sight.

how about addressing the illegal war that started all this? have we all forgot about this?

sorry this should have gone before my first post…

to answer the OP… it certainly is. I must admit it is testing my faith, I’m crying inside, heart broken infact. I really do mean this, I’ve helped Congolese people in my parish when they arrived. I formed a fantastic relationship with them. they lived in the priests house (had to share priests with parish next door) I had the job to look over one fellow by the name of Rodger. ha ha he was a fantastic person. I had him working with me. I used to take him sporting events ,dinner at mine, the lot.
listening to his personal stories, what I heard was nothing I was being told or shown. with this in mind,I have a big issues with why the west had to start the war.

The ideas of human rights and human dignity are much more those of the so-called Enlightenment than they are of Catholicism.

In looking at this gigantic refugee crisis, the government has its first duty to the people over which it has authority. Authority has as a corollary protection, so the government needs to also protect the people under its authority.

Is this well-served by allowing huge numbers of refugees into its cities? Of undertaking the support of huge numbers of people?

At the same time, as individuals and as societies, we also have obligations to help those in need. Unfortunately, what usually happens is we become so busy making money for the government to do that that we don’t have much time left over to do it ourselves, which causes a sort of twisted charity, a charity bent out of shape by the preponderance of money and lack of time and personal attention.

These are considerations which I think we are not taking into account in our rush to “do something!”

And the flip side of the entire problem is that we are doing absolutely nothing, at best, about the situation which is causing people to leave their homes. Everyone would have been much better off if the conflicts had not been ignored, passed onto others, or actively aided by outsiders who could have helped.

Here it is:

historynet.com/muhammad-the-warrior-prophet.htm

Jon

I used to think that Muhammad was definitely an historical person.

Now I’m not so sure. What changed my mind was a remarkable and well-researched book:

The Hidden Origins of Islam: New Research into Its Early History by Karl-Heinz Ohlig (Editor), Gerd-R Puin (Editor)

From the blurb:

*Despite Muhammad’s exalted place in Islam, even today there is still surpisingly little actually known about this shadowy figure and the origins of the Qur’an because of an astounding lack of verifiable biographical material. Furthermore, most of the existing biographical traditions that can be used to substantiate the life of Muhammad date to nearly two centuries after his death, a time when a powerful, expansive, and idealized empire had become synonymous with his name and vision - thus resulting in an exaggerated and often artificial characterization of the prophetic figure coupled with many questionable interpretations of the holy book of Islam.

On the basis of datable and localizable artifacts from the seventh and eighth centuries of the Christian era, many of the historical developments, misconceptions, and fallacies of Islam can now be seen in a different light. Excavated coins that predate Islam and the old inscription in the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem utilize symbols used in a documented Syrian Arabic theology - a theology with Christian roots.

Interpreting traditional contexts of historical evidence and rereading passages of the Qur’an, the researchers in this thought-provoking volume unveil a surprising - and highly unconventional - picture of the very foundations of Islamic religious history.*

Regardless of one’s feelings about the war it is totally irrelevant to the issue of how we should treat these refugees .

The Refugee Crisis Frontline: Croatia’s Christians Lend a Hand

Since Hungary closed its border on September 15, refugees from the Middle East have surged into Croatia. Christian churches and relief groups moved to the frontlines in the region providing emergency relief, shelter, and medical aid, supplementing Red Cross and government assistance.

christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/september-web-only/on-refugee-crisis-frontline-croatias-christians.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.