The Gloria at Sunday Mass

My wife and I attended Mass this last Sunday and the priest did not recite the Gloria. I asked him about this after Mass and he told me that if the Gloria was not sung, then saying it is optional outside of Easter and Christmas season. Is this a new rule. I always thought the Gloria is recited or sung on Sundays, feasts, and solemnities. Other than this it was a very reverent Mass. What are your thoughts.

Tom

Tom,

It appears that the priest may be confused. The GIRM makes it clear:

The Gloria

1. The Gloria is a very ancient and venerable hymn in which the Church, gathered together in the Holy Spirit, glorifies and entreats God the Father and the Lamb. The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other text. The Gloria is intoned by the priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir; but it is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone. If not sung, it is to be recited either by all together or by two parts of the congregation responding one to the other.

It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character.

So, said or sung, it should be used on all Sundays except during Advent and Lent.

Deacon Ed

I too was wondering about this. There’s a parish near me that never recites or sings a Gloria – year round as near as I can tell. I found it very jarring the first time I went to mass there and realized, “hey, did we miss something?”

Our parish omits the Gloria as well. Of course they’ve done away with missals a long time ago…I think everyones used to it now and are unable to “follow along” to notice anything missing.

What I don’t understand is why? Seriously, if people can remember the Nicene creed, how hard is it to remember the Gloria? And it’s not like it takes up a huge chunk of time. It just seems odd to me. I’m not freaking out or upset about it or anything, but I really don’t see why it would removed at all except during those times when the Church proscribes it of course and that makes sense because it serves as a reminder of the season. So when these parishes are in a season where they’re not supposed to say the Gloria, do they even notice? Seems sad to me.

[quote=TomS]My wife and I attended Mass this last Sunday and the priest did not recite the Gloria. I asked him about this after Mass and he told me that if the Gloria was not sung, then saying it is optional outside of Easter and Christmas season. Is this a new rule. I always thought the Gloria is recited or sung on Sundays, feasts, and solemnities. Other than this it was a very reverent Mass. What are your thoughts.

Tom
[/quote]

We get to do the Gloria in Latin!
God Bless Father Ben!

This happened at a parish I visited this weekend.

The parish I belong to was having an outdoor Mass for the 75th anniversary of the school, I attended a nearby parish for Mass. I decided to do this since the diocese is looking to consolidate all four Southfield parishes into one parish. What I saw, I did not really like. The priest forgot the Gloria

In addition, he held the hand of the altar server during the Out Father:bigyikes: If my parish is consolidated with this parish, I will probably be looking for a new one.

I think there should be a movement to publish parishes that do this type of stuff if the pastor does not correct it after it is mentioned to him.

PF

What I don’t understand is why?

Amen.

Whats the point of omitting it (outside of Advent and Lent of course)? What does it prove? Are we ashamed of it? Are we lazy? Is it too hot in church to spend the extra 5 (if even) minutes to say or sing it? Too cold?

The Gloria is very beautiful and and should be inculded each and every sunday. Its beautiful when its done traditional and you see the Priest and the faithful show recerence at the very name of Jesus.

Please tell me it was a female. Please. :gopray2:

The priest we had before he retired always recited the Gloria. He is gone now and his replacement hasn’t yet. I don’t know what is going on, but I don’t like it.

Unfortunatelly there is a lot of “I heard this and I heard that” on what is the proper rubrics for portions of the liturgy. A lot of priests don’t make the time to actually sit down and read the documents and they tend to go with what they hear. Usually it is not malicious but there are times …

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Please tell me it was a female. Please. :gopray2:
[/quote]

Nope:(

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Nope:(

PF
[/quote]

I’m not a big fan of girl altar boys, but in this case… :nope:

I guess a priest who doesn’t recognize the inappropriateness of holding hands in public with a young man just hasn’t been paying attention. (And that’s my charitable thought for the day.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.