The Gloria during Mass

That is so sad… I always have a twinge when people talk about how good a priest is because he “get’s Mass done so quickly”. Not saying you are thinking that way, just your representation that the average Mass is only 50 minutes is probably pretty close in many parishes.

It’s not said in Advent either. Nor on most weekdays?

I much prefer the Gloria in Latin (see my sig :D). It’s very beautiful.
youtube.com/watch?v=rkLSiR1QWLA

Anyway, the Gloria is great in any language when you really listen to/sing the words! Always sing! :thumbsup:

In my parish we sing the Gloria

I love the Gloria… but my current parish NEVER includes the Gloria in Mass. Only for Easter Sunday. (And this week, a bilingual Gloria for the First Communion Mass.) That’s it. The pastor says he believes that inclusion of the Gloria is optional. It makes me very sad – I miss the Gloria. :frowning:

Oh my gosh – I’m so sorry that the Gloria is not sung during your Masses. I agree that it is beautiful. And when I was in RCIA, I started singing it in the car – and I remember exactly the time and place I was on the freeway when I was able to sing it through for the first time. It made me so happy.

Include me in the group that participates fully in the Gloria. It is the one time during the week that I know that I will for sure spend time worshipping our Triune God. My daily prayers often skip straight to the "petitioning The Lord" part.

I agree with the posters who have observed that some of the musical versions border on the perverse. I mean, not many voices in the assembly (or among cantors) are trained for the vocal gymnastics that some of them require. It's hard to focus on the worship aspect when you are trying not to screech out part of the prayer.

On what basis does your pastor believe that? That’s odd. I would call the diocesan Office of Worship.

^^ this :thumbsup:

I love singing the Gloria.

In fact, I’d like to find a copy of the one we use in our Life Teen Mass. It’s very uplifting!

I miss it when we don’t sing it. Since we came back to the Faith, I’m challenged when it’s recited instead. Easier for me to catch on to the new words in a song.

Christina

After the Te Deum, the Gloria was the first prayer I learned (from listening to Mozart & Haydn Masses ;)) as I was discerning whether to be baptized. It is very special & close to my heart.

Remember that the Gloria is the seminal moment in the Easter Vigil. Only when the lights of the resurrection flood the Church, when we say “Alleluia”, and when Christ is Risen, do we bring out this prayer! It is the time of bell-ringing and bright joy! It’s the resurrection hymn par excellence.

The whole Godhead, the whole Trinity, every aspect of Christ, and the mystery of thanksgiving and worship are all present in the Gloria. We need to place our hearts in Heaven with the angels, archangels, cherubim, and seraphim in the unending hymns of praise. Everything revolves and orbits around Christ, the center of the Cosmos, in this prayer. Were it not for the really awful refrain-verse-refrain setting that we use here, it would be the first high point of the Mass for me.

The Gloria used to be longer, and the “full” version has been retained by our Eastern Catholic brethren. They sing it during Matins (before the Eucharist) on Sundays, and call it the Major Doxology. A better understanding can come from reading it:

*Glory unto God who gives us light.

Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace, good will among men.
We praise Thee, we bless Thee,
we worship Thee, we glorify Thee,
we give thanks to Thee for Thy great glory.
O Lord, heavenly King, God the Father Almighty;
O Lord, the Only-Begotten Son, Jesus Christ; and O Holy Spirit.
O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father,
that takest away the sin of the world, have mercy on us;
Thou that takest away the sins of the world, receive our prayer;
Thou that sittest at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us.

For Thou only art holy,
Thou only art the Lord, O Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.

Every day will I bless Thee and I will praise Thy name forever, yea forever and ever.
Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us this day without sin.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers,
and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages. Amen.
Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us according as we have hoped in Thee.
Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Lord, Thou hast been our refuge in generation and generation.
I said: O Lord, have mercy on me, heal my soul, for I have sinned against Thee.
O Lord, unto Thee have I fled for refuge, teach me to do Thy will, for Thou art my God;
For in Thee is the fountain of life, in Thy light shall we see light.
O continue Thy mercy unto them that know Thee.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.*

It’s like a combination of the Gloria, the Te Deum, and the Trisagion! :smiley:

It is very odd. I have never figured out the basis for this belief except that he is insistent that the Gloria is optional. When we have visiting priests occasionally, they always include the Gloria (unless it’s Advent or Lent, of course), and the parishioners just fumble through it and don’t know the words in the new translation since we so rarely say or sing it.

In many other ways, this parish is a lovely place – but every Sunday the absence of the Gloria is so distracting to me. I really miss it!

[quote="AnastasiaRomano, post:32, topic:326321"]
It is very odd. I have never figured out the basis for this belief except that he is insistent that the Gloria is optional. When we have visiting priests occasionally, they always include the Gloria (unless it's Advent or Lent, of course), and the parishioners just fumble through it and don't know the words in the new translation since we so rarely say or sing it.

In many other ways, this parish is a lovely place -- but every Sunday the absence of the Gloria is so distracting to me. I really miss it!

[/quote]

Call the diocese.

I love the Gloria and the Sanctus because they are angelic hymns of praise! Just thinking about the angels giving honor to the triune God makes me very grateful to be able to participate. I participate in the singing of the gloria but all around me, no one participates. People just want to get on with it. Mass is the highlight of my week because for a brief moment, we are caught up in the heavenly marriage supper of the lamb.

I think it goes back to poor catechesis and why people don’t actually know what is going on in mass when they are there. They just know they should be there and do a few gestures, but that’s it. :shrug:

Isn’t that so true! Everything you said. This morning we had the full choir and bells and I just got lost in the heavenly sounds and felt so surrounded by the whole host of heaven with the Trinity enthroned above and in the midst of all. And because it is Pentecost Sunday, VENI SANCTUS SPIRITUS!

Yet, there were so many people just sitting there letting the choir do all the singing. :frowning: That’s why I like sitting in the front…so I can’t be distracted by everyone else…that and wanting to be as close to the altar as possible.

I have learned that it is up to me to dig deeper and draw closer to the Lord. The church is there to provide the tools, and they do, but it is up to us to make use of those tools. I feel that my part is to pray for the hearts and souls of all believers to be sparked to jump into action. Kinda like spiritual CPR :D:stretcher:

[quote="StillCatholic, post:35, topic:326321"]
Isn't that so true! Everything you said. This morning we had the full choir and bells and I just got lost in the heavenly sounds and felt so surrounded by the whole host of heaven with the Trinity enthroned above and in the midst of all. And because it is Pentecost Sunday, VENI SANCTUS SPIRITUS!

Yet, there were so many people just sitting there letting the choir do all the singing. :( That's why I like sitting in the front...so I can't be distracted by everyone else...that and wanting to be as close to the altar as possible.

I have learned that it is up to me to dig deeper and draw closer to the Lord. The church is there to provide the tools, and they do, but it is up to us to make use of those tools. I feel that my part is to pray for the hearts and souls of all believers to be sparked to jump into action. Kinda like spiritual CPR :D:stretcher:

[/quote]

Yes, mass was very special today. The choir was on fire! (no pun intended) :D I agree with you that it is UP TO US to get as much as we can from our faith. As a convert, for me it's hard to keep up! Catholicism is just BURSTING with life from sacramentals to feast days to the magesterium to Our Lord, we have it all. I wish more people could see how special it is and it's not just a cultural thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.