The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ book

This guy is repackaging an old heresy and selling it for modern consumption.:mad:

amazon.com/Good-Man-Jesus-Scoundrel-Christ/dp/080212996X

O.K. And, so you read this and it was like something you had read before? :confused: I am trying to follow what you are getting at here. It does say it is a work of fiction.

:harp:

This shouldn't be surprising - the author is Phillip Pullman, a rabid atheist and the author of The Golden Compass and the other books in that series...

But the author has a great defense of freedom of speech:

youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3VcbAfd4w&feature=player_embedded

I saw a critic of this clown's latest work last week and thought about posting it here. But if it comes from Pullman, you know it's gonna be rabid anti-catholic/anti-church and just expensive toilet paper.

To quote from a youtuber (sorry for the strong language but man, the guy was angry):

Pullman is a douche and his book is utter ******** which ignores history for something dreamt up in his hateful mind. The idea that MARY, who spent 12 years being educated in the temple, who knew the Scriptures by heart, who studied intensely and was very, very devout and would never renounce Her virginity even if it meant becoming Mother of God would have thought that a NORMAL MAN was an angel is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heared in my entire ******* life. This is incredible. The level of thought put into that is zero, null. It is so stupid that it is actually physically hurting me. Its unbelievable that Mary, our ever loving Mother would be such a moron. Oh, wait, SHE ISN'T! She was brave and confident as proven by Her statements to God (behold the handmaid...), She was humble, kind and decent as proven by the way She brought Jesus up, how She helped her cousin Elizabeth who She hardly knew and by Her Magnificat. And don't tell me that those were more primitive times. The Romans and Greeks were intensely intelligent people and so were the Jews. Not alot of people bought Jesus' claim as Son of God as proven numerous times in the Bible and by the Pharisees themselves. Even the Apostles themselves doubted in Christs power. If they were so gullible why on earth did they include those things in the Bible if they wanted to seem more credible? Paul himself admits to his faults and temptations to lust. No historical proof, no basis in common sense that Jesus didn't find a Church. As C.S Lewis put it: “I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

If somebody gives me un-deniable proof that Jesus didn't intend a Church I'll give Him a hundred bicks and quit Christianity. But I've done my research and have never come across an argument that is convincing. And by the way, there will always be crazy morons in th world, jsut not to the scale of a hundred thousand people. Look at Jim Jones and the temple; look at David Koresh. Look at Satanists and Richard Ibrayni. Look at Al Qaeda and fundamentalist Islam. Look at Communism and the French revolution. Those are real insane people, not us Catholics who know our beliefs. There will always be morons, just the Blessed Virgin was never one of them and never intended to.'

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.