The good vs. evil battle

Where’s the evidence of the battle of the lephytes and neophytes? (spelling is wrong…let’s just go with the good and evil forces!) Didn’t it happen in the New York area or something? Has there been any attempt to look for the battle site?

It was the Nephites vs. the Lamanites. The battle was supposed to have happened on the Hill Cumorah in New Yrok state. From what I have heard, no evidence has been found to support this idea.

Modern “apologetics” suggests that the Nephites and Lamanites lived in central and south America, rather than north America. Often the civilizations of central and south America are recast as the Nephite and Lamanite civilization. Of course, there are also differences in the scope of area that the BoM civilizations lived (some say only South/Central; others suggest ALL of the Americas were sites for the BoM cultures)

However, as this contradicts what JS had to say about it, not all mormons go for this, and stay with the JS version, which definitely claims the north eastern regions of America to be the geographical site of the BoM civilizations. Others just ignore it, insiting that the BoM is historically accurate, but don’t actually go looking for historical proof (as the mere existance of the BoM prooves its true).

So, yes, varied attempts are made to show how archeaology does provide evidence for the BoM, nothing certain or definitive has actually ever been produced. There was lots of hub-ub made about some find in Iran (IIRC) about some artifact that had a BoM character’s name. I’d look as FARMS or FAIR or someother site to find info about that.

[quote=BJRumph]Modern “apologetics” suggests that the Nephites and Lamanites lived in central and south America, rather than north America. Often the civilizations of central and south America are recast as the Nephite and Lamanite civilization. Of course, there are also differences in the scope of area that the BoM civilizations lived (some say only South/Central; others suggest ALL of the Americas were sites for the BoM cultures)

However, as this contradicts what JS had to say about it, not all mormons go for this, and stay with the JS version, which definitely claims the north eastern regions of America to be the geographical site of the BoM civilizations. Others just ignore it, insiting that the BoM is historically accurate, but don’t actually go looking for historical proof (as the mere existance of the BoM prooves its true).
[/quote]

Are you saying the exixtence of the BoM counts as proof that this happened? Or am I misreading what you said? The mere existence of the Bible alone doesn’t necessarily proves that the ten commandments or Jesus exsisted.
Are there any other historical books that talk about the Nephites vs. the Lamanites? It wasn’t in my encyclopedia. Why haven’t I heard of them before? I thought I knew my history! I need to learn more I guess!
And why shouldn’t we look for historical proof? I’d think it’ll be cool to find some!

The existence of the BoM is a miracle in itself, and is the root and base of all of the church’s claims to truth.

Yes, for those mormons who could care less about archeology, the mere exisitence of the BoM is sufficient proof that what it says is true.

Those that do like archeology are trying to use physical evidence to prove the BoM is indeed like the bible as you suggest, as we have originals of neither one, and they are more open to the suggestion that the history of the BoM may not be entirely accurate, and utilize exaggeration or writer’s choice like the biblical writers did in some cases.

Remember, according to the revelation of the church, JS actually found the very plates the BoM writers composed it on along with other artifacts, like swords, the Urim & Thummim, and a breastplate (no centuries of scribes copying it for him, no; these were the originals, penned/imprinted by the authors themselves). Additionally, as they were translated by the power of God (rather than by linguistic knowledge), then what they say must be true, because God cannot lie.

So, if you believe that they existed at all (in a literal sense), then it inescapeably follows that you believe what they said is also true, according to mormon logic. Only those who reject the “fact” of the literal plates, and accept it as a revelation that JS authored (rather than scribed) have sufficient room to argue that the BoM events (as it is mostly historical in nature) are allegorical, rather than factual, therefore archeological evidence is unnecessary, and the BoM is “true” in the philosophical sense rather than the historical sense.

Okay, I get what you’re saying now. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.