The Gospel is not in the bible

Jesus taught His apostles everything (John 15:15) and told them to proclaim this Gospel. Since Jesus taught the apostles everything concerning the Gospel, then when they preached this Gospel Jesus said, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved” (Mark 16:16).
So Jesus says salvation will come to those who believe this Gospel that the apostles taught and preached, because ONLY this Gospel, the one handed down in Tradition, contains everything that Jesus taught the apostles.
Jesus did NOT say salvation comes from believing scripture, from believing the bible, from studying scripture from studying the bible, from believing the written Gospels (which are narratives of the life of Jesus, according to the General Directory for Catechesis. )
The Church teaches the written Gospel contain only certain elements of the Gospel handed down in Tradition.

The Church teaches in the Catechism that the Gospel the apostles preached and taught is "the source of all 

saving truth and moral discipline". The Church teaches and St. Paul teaches that faith comes from hearing, not from reading, not from having someone read to you.
The Church teaches in the Catechism that “all she believes” is handed down in the Gospel through Tradition, not scripture.
The four written Gospels claim to be narratives of the life of Jesus. But, Jesus says salvation comes from believing the Gospel the apostles taught and preached (Mark 16:16)
** No where does the bible claim to present a written record of this Gospel that the apostles taught and preached. ** Thus, that is why Jesus said salvation comes from believing the Gospel the apostles taught and preached, and He did not say salvation comes from believing the bible, or scripture.

That is why no one can learn the Gospel through studying scripture. Protestants have tried for over 500 years to learn the Gospel. The still cannot agree on a single teaching. They still have no idea what Jesus meant when He said, “This is My Body” . The reason they cannot learn the Gospel is because IT IS NOT IN THE BIBLE.
No where does the bible claim to present a written record of the Gospel the apostles taught and preached. And this Gospel is so extensive that Jesus spent 3 years teaching the apostles, sent the Holy Spirit to teach it to them again,“He will teach you all things” and then said, and “He will bring to mind all that I taught you” Thus, we cannot reduce this Gospel only to a few words.

Now, even an atheist can learn the content of this Gospel, even though it is not written down. He just has to learn the doctrines the early Christians believed, the Christians who learned from the apostles. And the doctrines they learned from the apostles are the same doctrines the Church teaches today as the Catholic faith.
In other words, the Gospel the apostles and St. Paul taught and preached is the Catholic Faith.

That is why the Church teaches that this Gospel is handed down by example, and using words by teaching the initial proclamation of who Jesus is, then catechizing, that is, teaching the Catholic faith, based on the Creed, Sacraments , Commandments and Prayer.

Thus, we cannot learn the Gospel by studying the bible. But, if we know the Gospel then the bible helps us understand it better.
Thus, we cannot learn the Catholic faith by studying the bible. Because the Catholic faith is the set of beliefs handed down as the Gospel by the teaching and preaching and example of the apostles.

Therefore, in order to proclaim the Gospel, the initial proclamation about who Jesus is must be taught. Then the Catholic faith must be taught, based on the Catechism, which is “a sure norm for teaching the faith”.
JPII

Thus, the reason Protestants cannot learn the Gospel, is because it can only be learned by believing the teaching and preaching of the apostles handed down as the Catholic faith.

The reason Vatican II failed and things became worse, and are still horrible in the Church, was because Vatican II taught the primary duty of bishops and priests was the proclamation of the Gospel. Unfortunately, Catholic scholars had been teaching for almost a hundred years, that the usual meaning of the word Gospel was the written words and deeds of Jesus, or the four written Gospels.
Thus, they taught that proclamation of the Gospel meant to read the Gospels at mass, then give a commentary on them, in accordance with Church teaching.
The Church says that proclamation of the Gospel means to teach the whole Catholic faith, because this is the Gospel the apostles handed down. One is first to teach who Jesus is, then to catechize, by using the Catechism as a sure norm for teaching the faith, and going through and teaching the articles of the Creed, Sacraments, Commandments and prayer.
Thus, the homily is only supposed to be a short reference to the readings, then the majority of it is supposed to be teaching the Catholic faith. If we don’t teach the Catholic faith, it is impossible to proclaim the Gospel. For the Gospel the apostles handed down IS the Catholic faith. The apostles did not proclaim the Gospel just by reading scripture, then by giving an explanation of scripture. They proclaimed the Gospel by TEACHING THE CATHOLIC FAITH.
That is why the Catechism says:
1074. “The liturgy is the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed; it is also the font from which all her power flows.”[13] **It is therefore the privileged place for catechizing the People of God.
Notice it is NOT at school, at workshops, at RCIA, or any other time, but ONLY the liturgy, is the privileded place for catechizing the People of God. Therefore the homily is primarily supposed to be Catechesis, teaching the Catholic faith, using the Catechism as a sure norm for teaching the faith.

Why is this NOT being done. Why don’t the bishops implement this policy? Because they follow Catholic scholars, theologians, etc. They follow the usual practice of ignoring the Popes when they don’t understand them and reading what the Catholic scholars teach instead.

There is not a single Catholic Scholar who understands what the Church means by “proclaim the Gospel”. Not a single one. They all think the Gospel is the usual Protestant meaning, the “written words and deeds of Jesus” (Catholic encyclopedia). Thus, they think to proclaim the Gospel is to read the written Gospels then give explanations of them.

If anyone can find a single Catholic Scholar who understands what the Church means by “the proclamation of the Gospel to all”, please let me know.

So far, I cannot find a single one. As far as I can determine, they are all totally lost on this most basic of all Church teachings.
Prove me wrong.
Please give me a least one who understands what the Church means by "the proclamation of the Gospel to all"
Even better, give me the name of a single Catholic bishop in this country who understands this. Just one.
Give me evidence by what he is teaching today.
Just one.

Prove me wrong when I say that **all Catholic scholars are totally lost when it comes to the meaning of proclamation of the Gospel. **

By the way, I learned my understanding of the Gospel from “Evanelization in the modern world” by Pope Paul II, from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and esp. from the “General Directory for Catechesis”. (all products of the magisterium)

For those of you who wonder what “gospel” means, here’s what it means.

In the Roman Empire, the Emperor would make a gospel or good news speech. It didn’t matter whether he spoke happy news or sad news - it was always considered good news because it was believed his words changed the world for the better, because the Emperor was considered the savior and giver of peace in the world. His words were regarded not simply as words but as action, a saving action, action-words that effected the state of the world.

Now, Jesus speaks of the gospel. He speaks of the gospel of God. What he means is, the saving action of God. God is the real Savior and Giver of Peace of the word. He is speaking specifically about His mission, the work of redemption.

Very enlightening! Thank you for this thread! :thumbsup:

It is more correct, methinks, to say that “The reason Protestants cannot learn the ***entire ***Gospel…”

Your implication that Liturgy is the only place to teach the Gospel is not completely correct, methinks, if that is indeed your point.

Who says it isn’t? You’ve been to every parish in every diocese to see for yourself. A sweeping generalization, methinks.

Who do you mean by Catholic Scholar? Instructors in the Seminaries? Only well-known theologians? I’ve yet to experience any one of my instructors in my Masters in Theology program at our local seminary not understand what the Gospel is about and how it’s to be taught.

I can understand that you’re frustrated and I get what you’re saying…but methinks you are making way too broad of (a) generalization(s).

What the OP said is correct, but I don’t think this is news to a good many of us folk who have known better for a long time. Many folks do seem to believe that somehow the Scriptures are “The Word of God.” However the “Word of God” is the second person of the Trinity that lives not only in heaven, but in his body the Church. As its members we are a part of that body. It is this living body, constituted of the church triumphant, the church militant, and the church suffering with Christ as our head that constitutes Sacred Tradition, the whole “Word of God,” not words committed to paper.:slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Um,it’s more than many folks. The Catechism refers to scriptures as “the Sacred Word of God”.

And I am not denying any Sacred Tradition that goes with it.

They cannot agree on the teaching of the Eucharist, they can’t agree what salvation means, or how to achieve it, or how or if we can lose it. Most believe that Jesus is God, but not all. There is nothing that they all agree on.
It is not their fault. It is simply when they rejected the Church and her teachings as the source of the Gospel, then they made it impossible for themselves to ever learn it. Because the Gospel the apostles taught was the Catholic faith. The bible was not written with the intention of teaching the Gospel. The bible is primarily salvation history.
Jesus gave the mission of teaching the Gospel, the good news of Salvation, to His apostles. And the apostles had to follow the example of Jesus, who never wrote the Gospel that He taught. Thus, in following the example of Jesus, the apostles could never write the Gospel they taught. And the apostles were specifically commanded to teach and preach the Gospel. They had no command from God to write the Gospel they were teacing. The four written Gospels only claim to be narratives of the life of Jesus. They do not claim to be a written record of the Gospel the apostles taught and preached.

Your implication that Liturgy is the only place to teach the Gospel is not completely correct, methinks, if that is indeed your point.

No, I am saying that it is the PRIMARY place to teach the Gospel, that is, the Catholic faith. I don’t see how you can interpret the Catechism any other way.
And I don’t see any other place where so many Catholics come together to hear the word of God. The Church is simply using common sense. And as the Catechism says,
the liturgy “is also the font from which all her power flows.” This means that the liturgy, esp, the eucharistic liturgy, is the primary place where the grace Jesus merited, is made available to us. What better place to learn the Gospel, to be catechized, than at the place where we receive the grace to understand and remember the Gospel.
Now all the good bishops know that lay Catholics are very ignorant of the faith and need desperately to be catechized, that is, to be taught the faith. But, they have no idea how to do it. Since it has been ingrained in their minds that the Gospel is primarily the written words and deeds of Jesus, through years of false teachings by Catholic scholars , who think they know everything, then the bishops think that the primary duty of the priests at mass is to explain the written Gospels. They see Catechesis as teaching the Catholic faith, which is separate from proclaiming the Gospel, in their minds. Thus, catechesis, in their mind is totally separate from proclamation of the Gospel. It was Pope Paul VI in his encyclical “Evangelization in the Modern World” who first cleared up this error. He made it clear that catechesis IS part of evangelization, part of proclamation of the Gospel. In fact it is the primary part of proclamation of the Gospel.
When I first read his encyclical it was so different from anything else I learned that I was totally lost. The second time I read it all I remember was two things. He had a different definition of salvation than what I had ever heard. Second, I was astounded that he made teaching the whole Catholic faith the primary part of proclamation of the Gospel.
I normally would have done what everyone else does. I normally would have thought the Pope did not know what the Gospel is, or that he was too prejudiced toward things Catholic that it was useless to follow what he said.
But, I had been given some kind of message from heaven about humility. Specifically that God told me I was plain stupid and knew nothing at all. Thus, since I had been told I was stupid, then I kept on praying and studying what PPVI wrote, what Pope JPII wrote and what the Catechism said, and what the General Directory for Catechesis taught. Normally I figured I knew it all and it was the Popes who were lost. But God told me I was stupid, so I had no choice but to persist. Finally after about 9 months going over and over the same thing, that it finally hit me. It was my understanding of the word Gospel that was wrong. The Gospel was not only what was written, but it was primarily what the apostles taught and preached, and handed down as the Catholic faith. And at the same time I realized that there was no way that the apostles could proclaim the Gospel by reading the Gospels and then by giving an explanation of them. Then why are we doing this today?
From now on I just study what the Popes write and teach. Now the whole Catholic faith is beginning to make sense and fit together. I am beginning to realize that the Popes are so far ahead of everyone else, especially ON BASIC TEACHINGS, that we are totally lost.

Who says it isn’t? You’ve been to every parish in every diocese to see for yourself. A sweeping generalization, methinks.
Who do you mean by Catholic Scholar? Instructors in the Seminaries? Only well-known theologians? I’ve yet to experience any one of my instructors in my Masters in Theology program at our local seminary not understand what the Gospel is about and how it’s to be taught.

Are they teaching that the primary part of the homily is to consist of catechizing? And by catechizing I mean the exact definition that the Catechism gives, which came from Pope John Paul II, which is
5. "Catechesis is an education in the faith of children, young people and adults which includes especially the teaching of Christian doctrine imparted, generally speaking, in an organic and systematic way, with a view to initiating the hearers into the fullness of Christian life."
How do you think the first Christians learned to go to confession, receive communion, etc. if the Apostles themselves did not catechize and teach people these things? They had to initiate their “hearers into the fullness of the Christian life” The apostles had to teach the believes how to go to confession. To examine their conscience, to tell their mortal sins, etc, etc.
Do these teachers and scholars teach that the Catechism of the Catholic Church is to be a "sure norm for teaching the faith."
What else could you use? The bible does not claim to present a written record of the Gospel the apostles taught and proclaimed. And the Church teaches that catechesis is teaching of Christian doctrine imparted, generally speaking, in an organic and systematic way,

No one can take the theme of the readings at mass and impart the the whole Catholic faith in an “organic and systematic way”. It cannot be done. The Church never teaches it to be done this way. There will be a absence of the teachings of grace and the absence of teachings of morality, the ten commandments. The General Directory for Catechesis points out these and other areas of doctrine that are almost totally missing by Catholics today.
Study it, if you are a Catholic Scholar. It is a document of the magisterium, without teaching error. God intends all those who catechize to at least learn the basics in it.
The Church teaches the Catechism is a sure norm for teaching the faith, because the Catechism presents the living Tradition of the apostles. That means, the Catechism is a written form of what the apostles actually taught. Again, the apostles did first NOT proclaim the Gospel by reading scripture, then giving an exegesis of it.
They taught first who Jesus is, why He came. Then the main part of proclaiming the Gospel is teaching the Catholic faith, catechizing, in other words, in an organic and systematic way, with a view of initiating the listeners into “the fullness of Christian life”

The bishops still have not come up with anything specific on preaching the homily. Their was an old document called “Fulfilled In Your Hearing” which was put out by a few bishops, by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. I don’t think the majority approved it. Back then, they didn’t have to have a majority. But it is terrible. It has all the homosexual buzzwords of “acceptance and affirmation”, a sign that the author has that inclination. It is totally useless and totally confusing, plain evil in my opinion.
It is hard to find on the USCCB website, but it is still there. They have not replaced it with anything else,

And from reading their writings and the writings of other Catholic scholars, it is evident they are totally lost when it comes to what the Church means by “proclamation of the gospel to all”.

I am sure the reason God let all this happen is because the Catholic laity, me included, first rejected Pope Paul VI’s teaching on contraception. If we don’t want teachings, then God arranged it that way that from then on that we got very few teachings. And look what happed. Most Catholics no longer go to mass, thus they get divorced, (which causes massive suffering, esp. from the children), live in fornication, which leads to even more problems with the children that result from these unions. Catholics now have abortions, and even vote primarily for pro-abortion presidents.

I can understand that you’re frustrated and I get what you’re saying…but methinks you are making way too broad of (a) generalization(s).

Proof is that the bishops have absolutely no guidelines for the homilies at mass. The only document they had, “Fulfilled in Your Hearing” is horrible.
Before Vatican II the bishops had specific guidelines, namely, teach the Roman Catechism over a period of 4 or 5 years. They left out the necessity of teaching the Pope’s encyclicals, but at least they got the general faith right.

When someone decides to become a priest, he puts his trust that the bishop is overseeing what is being taught in the seminaries. He is usually to young and to ignorant to understand directly what the Popes teach, especially “Evangelization in the Modern World”.

Unfortunately, today even the most orthodox Catholic scholars and bishops are totally lost on the most important duty, “proclamation of the Gospel to all”. Catholic priests are the most important people in the world, because it is through them that the world hears the most important of God’s teachings. If they aren’t taught correctly, the laity cannot be taught correctly.

And no once can teach himself the Gospel by reading the bible.

The solution, as I see it, is that the laity and Catholic scholars AND bishops need to realize That they are absolutely totally stupid, compared to the Popes when it comes to understanding the most basic teachings of the Catholic faith. Until they realize this, they will never understand even the most basic teachings, such as salvation, defined by Pope Paul VI: (liberation from everything that oppresses us, esp. from sin and the devil)
and the meaning and content of the Gospel and how to proclaim it.
And Catholics will continue to get worse and worse, and they will not be able to keep our country from getting worse and worse.

Not only does the false understanding of the word “Gospel” lead to absence of teaching basic doctrines to the laity, but it leads to a loss of importance of Catholic Doctrine by bishops and priests themselves.
Because before Vatican II, Catholic teaching was supreme in the minds of bishops and priests, and everything. Even scripture had to fit Catholic teaching, as it correctly should have.

But when Vatican II clearly made “proclamation of the Gospel” THE most important duty of priests and bishops, then everything changed. Since they thought like everyone else, that the Gospel was primarily the written Gospels, then the written Gospels and scripture became the supreme and most important center of everything. No longer was the Catholic faith the most important in their minds. Now scripture was the most important. The Word of God was now almost exclusively understood to be scripture.
Where did this leave Catholic doctrine? It began to fade from their minds. It was no longer the most important. Scripture and its interpretation reigned supreme. Thus, the importance of the Catholic faith, the teachings of the Popes, teaching on abortion, which is not mentioned in the readings, etc. all faded and assumed less importance.

Now you see the problem. Jesus did not say salvation came from scripture, reading scripture, studying scripture, the exegesis of scripture, etc. But ONLY from believing the Gospel, the Catholic faith the apostles handed down in teaching, preaching, example, etc.

But, because for years everyone has been ignoring the Popes when they don’t agree or understand them, then
we all have been led astray. And it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. People talk before mass and after mass, and don’t stay and pray after mass, because they now ignore what Pope Pius XII taught in Mediator Dei
The no longer hold abortion in horror, but it is no worse than smoking to some. Sin is no longer extremely serious.

Why? Because now that scripture has become all important. The real full Gospel that came to us from the apostles, is now ignored, and is fading away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.