The Gospel of Barack Obama

No kidding, it’s a real book, available from Amazon:

Book Description:

“The Gospel of Barack Hussein Obama According to Mark” is designed to initiate the reader into a meditation on what it means to be human, what it means to be a manifestation of God, and how Barack Obama is a unique and important manifestation of God’s desire for human flourishing. In a blend of words from his public speeches, imagined conversation, and fictional situations, the book highlights Obama’s real stance on social justice and, in particular, economic and political empowerment. It juxtaposes ancient Biblical form and contemporary reality, challenging the reader to see and seek God in all persons. “Our life-defining texts must be porous and we must be imaginative in our engagement with them. Let this book be a reminder not to so credit sacred texts or cultural icons that they lead us to hatred and violence in the name of God. When we see the Divine in another, we must name it. We must respect it. The practice demands nothing less than Love.”
–Mark F. Bozzuti-Jones, Author

Boy, reality just can’t run fast enough to stay ahead of satire.

OMG

Things like this are so frustrating that I don’t even know where to begin with their wrongness.

OMG!!! Blasphemy!!! :bigyikes::mad:

From page 2:
“And the child they had was given the name That One, the Blessing, the One who Confronts and wins the victory: Barack Hussein Obama, a Blessing for all peoples.”

“In the year 1961, the first upside down year since 1881 where there will be no such year until 6009, Barack Hussein Obama was born in no less of a month than August and no greater a symbolic a day as 4. The Anointed One was incarnated into this world on August 4, 1961, praises be upon him.”

Not sure whether to laugh or be frightened.

Are you certain this book wasn’t meant to be satirical?:eek:

I have a feeling that it may not be satire. O:
But, I can’t seem to read it with a straight face. :o

Indeed! I thought by the title that it had to be either satire, or something borderline cutesy like the “Gospel According the the Simpsons”. But after reading the author’s description, that is downright scary! :eek:

Can I now finally say what I have been saying all along? that

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder

I had to correct my post.

But, thankyou for saying “I” and not “we”, because Catholicism and conservatism is not a mandatory combination.

Yes! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Yes people are free to be Catholic and liberal…though I will never understand them. :confused:

I just don’t get it. Even if you agree with the President’s politics (which I don’t), it’s not like he’s blazed any new trails of thought. He doesn’t stand for anything that numerous liberal politicians before him haven’t stood for. What’s so special?

I teach adult education classes at a local college, and one day I had a student (a 74 year old) tell me he thought Barack Obama was some sort of “special spiritual person” along the lines of the Buddha, etc :confused: . I figured he was just getting senile, but now I see he’s not alone in this thinking! :eek:

I know. It is unnerving to me the adulation some people give to him when he doesn’t strike me as all that different from the many liberals who have gone before him.

He is the first black President. That is certainly historical and no one can take that away from him. But as far as his ideas, I haven’t heard him put forward anything I haven’t heard before. :shrug:

Edit to add: It makes me wonder if it isn’t simply the case of people’s natural inclination to rally around a certain person who has been annointed as the poster child for whatever their belief system needs at the time. It’s not so much that Obama has all these history-shaking ideas, nor that he has made ground-breaking accomplishments. But he serves as an icon (to continue the use of religious imagery ;)) that gives people hope. It has less to do with who he is than being in the right place at the right time in history.

But maybe I’m just speculatively pontificating… :o

Perception is reality for a lot of people:eek:

Here’s a cinematic entry for the Reality Outstrips Reality Sweepstakes: The Obama Effect.

obamaeffectmovie.com/
imdb.com/title/tt2207006/

Plot Summary:

A serious health scare ignites John Thomas, an insurance salesman in his 50s, to take a closer look at his life. Motivated by a misguided obsession with getting Barack Obama elected, John takes an overwhelming involvement in the Presidential campaign. While John becomes obsessed with the ideal of change that Obama represents for Americans, he has in turn neglected to create positive change in his own life, particularly with regard to his health and familial relationships. John hides his health problems from his strong, yet supportive wife, Molly, creating a strain on their marriage. John seeks the support of a Republican relative, MLK, who initially starkly resists supporting a Democratic candidate. John’s son, Kalil, rebels against his father’s avid support of Obama by supporting the Republican candidate as well. John neglects to support his daughter, Tamika, at a crucial moment in her life, as she has recently fallen in love and become engaged to be married. John faces additional discord with his other son, Jamel, an up-and-coming boxer, who gets mixed up with a shady manager, Slim, as he rises toward a professional boxing career. Joshua, John’s recently-paroled brother, also struggles as he attempts to find work in a tough economy and to maintain his new marriage. When Molly discovers that John has been hiding his health scares from her, she urges him to take positive action to improve his bad habits. John works to get back on the right path with his health and family as Obama soars to success in the campaign.

It’s only in limited release but I’m sure the DVD will be in the bargain bin soon.

Did they really just use “Slim” and “Shady” in the same sentence? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know where you find this stuff, Didymus. This seems more like something that would appear in The Onion or Saturday Night Live than something that actually exists. It really defies credulity.

It will probably come out on DVD just in time for the election. :stuck_out_tongue:

I subscribe a lot of blogs, in this case The American Catholic:

the-american-catholic.com/

I know of a person who identifies himself as financially conservative, but socially liberal.

I take this to mean that he is all for giving away other people’s money, just not his own. In other words, he’s a Democrat. :whacky:

Exactly,I hear this a lot also!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.