The Great Battle Has Begun- Kelly Bowring

I just read this book which is a follow-up to the Secrets, Chastisements, and Triumph of the Two Hearts of Jesus and Mary which I enjoyed very much. I also enjoyed this book, if anything it made me feel more hopeful about how terrible the world is and not to be afraid but be ready, but the only concern I have is how much of it appears to be based not only on the Book of Revelations and approved Marian apparitions but also on such visionaries as Maria Divine Mercy who I always had the impression was a questionable source. Having said that the unapproved and Scripture and approved at least in this book appeared very consistent. For background, I am a recent convert, grew up with the rapture and all that but I always have had the view that Jesus was right when he said no one knows the date or time of his Second Coming and have always lived my life to be ready but not worried as He has it under control. And this new book encourages actions such as the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet and Daily Mass, it also encourages living our vocation and station- it is not a fear mongering book. But the inclusion of certain sources not yet approved has me concerned and as a new convert if there are rabbit holes I need not be crawling into would like to know or conversely if anyone has any opinion good or bad on this book would love to hear it. This author’s first book has an imprinteur and his credentials appear pretty good. Thanks and Blessings all! Val

Yet another book for my reading pile? Oh No! LOL

Have you read Bud McFarlane’s Pierced By A Sword? From your description, Kelly Bowing’s novel would be in the same genre.

Yes, just recently and loved it, though Kelly Bowring’s is not a fiction book. I am now reading Conceived Without Sin which though not apocalyptical has some very lovable characters.

I would just stick to the lives of the Saints, the Bible, the Catechism and the weekly Catechises of the Popes and Official Chruch documents. Rosary and the Chaplet - seems a little over the top to me. But each to his own. What I’m trying to say is stick to the basics until the Lord shows you he wants you to do more. :thumbsup:

I agree with basics but Rosary and Chaplet over the top? At least for the Rosary not according to Mary:) Anyway, the Chaplet helped bring me into the Church and have prayed it daily ever since. Can’t imagine having any peace in my day without the Rosary. But yes, my revert husband does think I am “over the top”. And yes, I agree, it is very important to let the Lord lead- funny you said back to basics because that is my Lenten reading plan:)

God Bless,

Val

I joined this forum just to reply to this. I was recently given this book, and as I have been looking through it, I have become greatly concerned about the content of this book and whether or not Dr Kelly Bowring is a credible source. I will be honest and say that I am not all the way through the book yet, only half way through it. However, I have found its contents very alarming and have been researching Dr. Kelly’s sources and his own credentials, because I feel that this book is dangerous and misleading. On pages 8 and 9, he urges the reader to trust the information in the book. He personally assures you that all of the sources in the book are “credible.” He then makes an attempt to emotionally manipulate the reader, telling them to ‘soften their hearts’ and open them to the messages in this book, saying that any skepticism leads to ‘obstinacy’ and ‘hardness of heart.’ He has already set the reader up to believe by default, or else to see themselves as a “bad” Christian.

The sources in the book are extremely poor. His two primary sources are “Maria Divine Mercy,” and a website that looks like a cheap blog with no identifying or explanatory information to be found; locutions.org. As to the first source, Maria Divine Mercy actively teaches heretical ideas, or should I say “Jesus” actively teaches them in His visions to her. Not only has “Jesus” incorrectly predicted in 2011 that the Warning would occur “in a few months,” but He also apparently teaches millenarianism (and this is quoted in Dr. Kelly’s book). In my opinion, most alarmingly, the visions from Maria Divine Mercy encourage Catholics not to heed the next Pope. According to this visionary, the “keys” are passing from Benedict XVI directly in to the hands of God the Father, meaning there will be no “true” Pope on earth, and the next Pope will be an evil man who will change and destroy the Church from within. Not only does this visionary teach a variety of heresies in her messages, but she also encourages schism by teaching Catholics not to acknowledge the primacy of the next Pope! This schismatic message is contained within the book itself, but for a taste of it, here is a part of Maria Divine Mercy’s message for February 19th, 2013: “I instruct My Church as before, but only through the Power of the Holy Spirit. The Keys of Rome are under the command of My beloved Father. I, Jesus Christ, am ready to descend again at My Second Coming and I wish to make it known that you, my disciples, will suffer just as my own disciples did during My time on earth. You, My beloved, are with Me, locked within My Sacred Heart, so that you can unite with Me in sorrow. I cry tears for My innocent, beloved last Pope on earth, Benedict XVI, chosen by Me to lead My Church during the last days.”

More fascinating, the book contradicts itself, particularly on the matter of the papacy. Dr. Bowring cites the prophecies of Malachy in the same section which he quotes Maria Divine Mercy, saying that Benedict XVI is the last true Pope. Anyone familiar with the prophecies of Malachy realizes that the prophecies contradict each other, since they say that the next Pope will be a good, holy Pope, and that he will be the last Pope.

As for “locutions.org,” I have not been able to find any information regarding that website which would make it a credible or reliable source, since it does not detail to whom these alleged apparitions are occurring, where, or why. For all we know, Dr. Kelly Bowring could have created that blog himself just to have something to cite. He cites this source extremely heavily, roughly 40 times within the first 60 citations of the book!

Moreover, the book is full of questionable Illuminati ‘conspiracy theory’ ramblings, as told by “Jesus” and “Mary” to these so-called visionaries: the masons are infiltrating the Church, the New World Order is imminent, prepare for One World Currency, etc.

Yes, at times, Dr. Bowring quotes an approved apparition. However, it is telling that the citations from the approved apparitions are much fewer and farther between than the pages and pages of quotations from these anonymous and totally untraceable seers. Moreover, although Dr. Bowring makes it seem that the approved apparitions are saying the same thing as the non approved ones, that is not the case. As far as the approved apparitions will go seems to be “prayer, penance” and an avoidance of a punishment for our sins. None of them predict the crazy political conspiracies that the other prophecies reveal in detail.

Yes, much of the contents of these messages is not harmful: Pray, say the rosary, fast, etc. Yet, I feel that this book misleads the faithful by putting in these ‘positive’ messages so that the reader drops his guard to the several more dangerous ones it contains, and is subtly exposed to heresy and encouraged in to schism without realizing it. Moreover, I too see that Dr. Bowring has very impressive academic credentials, but I cannot help but to be utterly surprised and incredulous that he claims to have the credentials he does, and yet has written a book that is so absolutely and totally unscholarly in every way. It has absolutely the worst citations I have ever seen. I cannot even find half of his sources, since he doesn’t give adequate information to research them; i.e. the date he found them, what type of media he retrieved the information from, authors, publishers, etc.!

All in all, I strongly advise Catholics to beware of Dr. Kelly Bowring, and in particular this book!

Frankly I tend to avoid books of this nature. Truth is, we really don’t know what the end of the world will be like. People have been predicting the end of the world all through the ages- none were right, were they?

My biggest objection to this issue is twofold. First, Jesus said that this matter was not for us to know. I trust His Word and try my best to obey it, including this passage. It’s not for us to know or to try to figure out. In fact, it strikes as mistrustful to even try, like we’re seeking after knowledge the Lord doesn’t will us to have. Second, this topic tends to distract the faithful from what’s really important- living the Gospel and feeding the poor.

We simply don’t know when the end of the world will happen, no book or alleged apparition can really tell us and it’s best not to worry.

Simpy trust in the Lord Jesus and live the Gospel.

Thank you for your detailed review. I hope you posted it on amazon as well. You just saved me $9.95.

Thank you. It looks like “troll the Catholic demographic with half-truths and fictitious prophecies” is becoming a popular pastime for some authors these days. It happened to our separated brethren, and it’s happening to us now. “Stay away” is sound advice. :slight_smile:

I really thank you for your insight which I think is well reasoned. I am even more disturbed now as I have come to believe that Maria Divine Mercy is a fraud especially in light of our new Holy Father who I do not believe is anything but the Vicar of Christ. I am a new Catholic and I think I will just go back to basics- The Bible, The Rosary, and only approved apparitions. I believe if the Lord wants me to know anything it is all in there and more than anything He wants me to trust Him- it is all in His hands! To quote a non Catholic evangelist Joyce Meyer it is possible to be educated beyond our level of obedience. I think we all see the times and wonder but I just keep going back to what Our Lord had to say- no one knows the date or time.

God Bless,

Val

“Maria Divine Mercy”: A Theological Evaluation by

Dr. Mark Miravalle
Professor of Theology and Mariology
Franciscan University of Steubenville
March 25, 2013
us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=fc85aa8c7722af75df93cda8a&id=927cb0afea&e=05db9d1f13

9 things you need to know about “Maria Divine Mercy”
by Jimmy Akin (James Akin) (well known Catholic Answers apologist and lay theologian
from his personal website:
ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-maria-divine-mercy/

Pages by Mark Mallett pertaining to MDM and/or private revelation
markmallett.com/blog/entering-perilous-times/
markmallett.com/blog/on-private-revelation/
markmallett.com/blog/on-seers-and-visionaries/
markmallett.com/blog/a-black-pope/
markmallett.com/blog/more-questions-and-answers-on-private-revelation/

Not sure how these web addresses travel through the Catholic Answer forum but a google search of the included info should be enough.

Cheers

Thanks for the links!

Blessings,

Val

Check out the Miraculous Rosary blog which recently posted an English translation from the Catholic Conference of Bishops of Slovakia condemning Maria Divine Mercy as heretical.

miraculousrosary.blogspot.ca/2013/05/mdm-condemned-as-heretical-by-slovakian.html

She has also pulled together a lot of the resources which can help Catholics come to terms with the numerous errors taught on the W2C website. A valuable source for pulling the faithful trapped in this cult out. Maria Divine Mercy is promoting the very schism she predicts.

miraculousrosary.blogspot.ca/2013/02/maria-divine-mercy-deception-of-satan.html

I agree with you…the self proclaimed prophet MDM claims Pope Francis is a False Prophet!

Janet

In his last book he is relying on unapproved revelations, especially ‘Maria Divine Mercy’. I would not take him seriously after this book.
This is an interesting reply to some of Bowring’s comments on CatholicMom posts. He seems to miss the obvious

I wonder if Bowring will ever apologize for misleading people now that the true identity of MDM has been revealed ronconte.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/the-identity-of-maria-divine-mercy/

The moment you put the luisa picarreta material in the book, it is totally disavowed of any validity to the writings, now it is publicly known that it’s a sham. You may want to refer to the many sources where her material has been found to be not Catholic for one thing, and most importantly is the fact that the Bishop from her town HAS A GAG ORDER, TO NOT PROMOTE, DISAMINATE, PRINT ANY OF HER MATERIALS BECAUSE IT’S UNDER THE EXAMINATION OF THE VATICAN. The disobedience shows the material is nothing but a sham. I shall promote it as such. Jesus went to the Cross out of obedience!!! without obedience it’s rebellion and that is satanic. May God have mercy on your soul for leading many astray with you. Remember Mark 9: 42.

Concerning Maria Divine Mercy:
Her writings remain plausible. See my article: twoheartspress.com/the-great-battle-has-begun/concerning-maria-divine-mercy-pope-francis-and-the-false-prophet/

Concerning Ron Conte: Unfortunately I do not agree with most of his opinions on any Marian topic. A perusing of his website makes obvious why.

Concerning Luisa Piccarreta:
**Wikipedia states: **
The Archbishop of Trani has reiterated, in a letter dated November 2012, his approval of the existence of groups formed to study Luisa’s writings.
He also reaffirmed his moratorium on the current publication for public use, both in print and online, of most of the writings of Piccarreta, presenting it as his desire to present in the future, a “typical and critical edition of her writings”, (for which the Archdiocese of Trani owns all of the publishing rights). In the same letter, The Archbishop criticizes “poor or exaggerated explanations of her writings”, but affirms that both he and the Church have found her writings themselves to be free of doctrinal error.
More details and recent update of Luisa:
In 1926, the first 19 volumes of Luisa’s spiritual diary were published with the Imprimatur of Archbishop Joseph Leo, with the Nihil Obstat from St. Hannibal Di Francia. In March of 1997, the Tribunal Responsible for Luisa’ Cause determined unanimously that Luisa’s life was one of heroic virtue and that her mystical experiences were authentic. In 2012, the two theologians assigned to evaluate the writings of Luisa Piccarreta by the Vatican Congregation for the Causes of the Saints gave a positive, that is, a favorable judgment, finding nothing contrary to the Faith in her writings. Also in 2012 in Rome, Fr. Joseph Iannuzzi successfully completed and defended the first doctoral dissertation that analyzed and promoted the mystical writings of Luisa Piccarreta, which was then published with ecclesiastical approbation.
The moratorium of course applies only to new published works of Luisa, and thus not to books that simply quote some of her writings. For example, my recent book, “The Secrets, Chastisement, and Triumph”, which quotes Luisa Piccarreta, has the imprimatur.

David Moorcroft wrote an excellent in my opinion article
in which he writes:

Here is the definition from the Oxford English Dictionary:

‘Plausible - specious, seeming reasonable or probable; persuasive but deceptive.’

After this promising start, Dr Bowring tells us:

‘I have examined all the messages, as well as all of the published evaluations and criticism of her messages, and have not found them to establish a single error in her reported messages…I have not found that her messages contradict any doctrine, or that they contain an actual error.’

Already, in his second brief paragraph, this learned theologian confesses himself unable to see any doctrinal error in the following alleged messages from ‘Jesus’:

(1) 6th Feb 2011: ‘Dearly beloved daughter, this is one of the finalmessages to be inserted in My first piece of Sacred Scripture contained in theVolume “The Warning”’.

The messages of the‘warningsecondcoming’ are here claimed to be ‘Sacred Scripture’, and therefore binding in divine faith. The church teaches that the Canon of Scripture was complete at the death of the last Apostle. Divine faith may not be given to any private revelation, however strongly approved.

(2) 12th May 2012: ‘It will take strong faith and acceptance of the Truth contained within these messages from Heaven to stay on the true path to eternal life.’

We must, then, believe MDM’s messages if we are to be saved. They are thus claimed to be public revelation.

(3) 21stNov 2010: ‘All paths lead to God, the creator of mankind.’

31st Aug 2011: ‘All religions,all creeds…are all so precious to My eternal Father.’

If our learned Doctor agrees with these words, he must believe that animism, spiritualism, headhunting, thuggee, devil worship, Freemasonry, witchcraft and Marxism lead to God, and are so precious to the Father.

‘But, as is Our Apostolic duty, we wish your Episcopal solicitude and vigilance to be aroused, so that you will strive as much as you can to drive from the mind of men that impious and equally fatal opinion, namely, that the way of eternal salvation can be found in any religion whatsoever.’ (Pius IX, ‘Singulari quadem.)

(4) 18th Dec 2010: ‘The Book of Truth is being presented to mankind to help them redeem themselves in My heart’.

We have no power to redeem ourselves in the eyes of God. This falsehood is repeated many times in the messages.

‘In Adam’s sin all men lost their natural power for good and their innocence. No one can of his own free will rise out of the depth of this fall if he is not lifted up by the grace of the merciful God.’ (16th Council of Carthage.)

(5) 24th Jan 2011: ‘It is harder to achieve My special graces than it is to avoid sin in any form.’

This is not harder; it is impossible. A grace, by definition, is a free gift of God’s love.

(6) 7th Nov 2011: (Jesus to MDM) ‘Without your sacrifice I could not fulfil My promise to save mankind.’
It follows, then, that Jesus is not God omnipotent, and MDM is necessary to our salvation.

(7) 21st May 2011: ‘My love, after the act of Redemption takes place, will flood your soul.’
A Catholic theologian who does not know that the act of Redemption took place once and for all time on Calvary is in trouble.

(8) 14thApril 2011: ‘Many Christians ignore one of the most fundamental promises I made during My crucifixtion [sic] where I would be present in bread and wine and leave a permanent mark to help nourish souls’.

If Dr Bowring has ‘examined all the messages’, he must have read this one. Perhaps his eyes were glazing over at the time – a common condition after prolonged exposure to the ‘ warningsecondcoming’ messages. It is perhaps understandable,then, that he overlooked the following facts:

(a) Jesus never made any such promise.

(b) Christ is not ‘present in bread and wine’ after the Consecration. The substance of these elements is no longer there, having become the substance of the body, blood, soul and divinity of the Lord.

© Reception of the Eucharist does not leave a permanent mark’ on the soul.

(9) 13th Sept 2011: ‘Never allow yourselves to accept any truth other than that contained in the Holy Bible.’

(a) Doctor Luther’s proposition ‘Scripture only’ was condemned at the Council of Trent.

(b) Catholics have an obligation to the truth as such, whether found in the Bible or elsewhere.

© The ‘messages’ of MDM are not contained in the Holy Bible.

(10) 25th May 2011: [God the Father] ‘This New Paradise on Earth is now being planned for all My children. It will last 1,000 years on Earth.’

The Church has consistently rejected this belief, known as ‘Millenarianism’. The Catechism of the Catholic Church condemns it as ‘the Antichrist’s deception’. (CCC, no 676.)

This is just a part of a longer article.

Don’t know anything about the book, but do know something about history. I’ve had this conversation with anti-Catholics who believe in the Rapture, and I’ll say the same thing here. The only people who think the world is worse now than it has ever been are people who don’t know history. A hundred years ago, NY was run by a Machine, if you were the wrong type in the south of the U.S. you were not much better than a slave; if you lived in Africa or many parts of Asia and weren’t one of the conquering elites, you were were a native and not much better than a slave and probably had less rights than the Blacks in the south. It was the age of unrestrained capitalism, where workers who objected to their working conditions were beaten or killed, and child labor was the norm. And this isn’t that long after the Anarchist bombings, so they knew the fear of terrorism, too.

Go back two hundred years, and perhaps things were a bit better in certain parts of the world, it was at least before the potato famine, but it was also before the civil war so slavery was legal and a much greater percentage of the people were working on farms, and if you think farming is difficult today, it was much harder then. People living in cities weren’t much better off, as there was no middle class, just the workers and upper class.

And so on.

I think believing that this is a terrible time to be alive is both an insult to the God gifted intelligence that has made at least the first world such a place of peace of plenty, and the hard work of the countless people who with God’s help made it this way.

Are there problems? Yes. But you don’t have to worry about every illness being potentially deadly. There is at least some safety net (if you are lucky enough to live in the first world) if you lose your job. Many parts of the world do work under the rule of law and most laws are just.

To virtually anyone who lived in the past, we’re living in a paradise.

So praise God for that, and pray and work to make it a better place if you find it so terrible.

Tom A.
“When I’m worried and I can’t sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.