"The Great Courses" good or not for Theology / Scripture Study?

Title pretty well states the question... Please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you

I have taken several and yes I think they are good for the study of theology. However, some of the professors are a little liberal in my opinion. I've take a course in Genesis, taught by a Jewish studies professor, so naturally it is from a Jewish perspective. I've take one on St. Paul which was very informative, although the professor tried to play down Paul's feelings about the sinfulness of homosexuality. I took one on Augustine which was very good, and also one about Luther and one about Religion in America, which were all good and informative. I took one called Why Evil Exists, which was more of a philosophy course, but still had a lot of religious questions in it.

I have completed a St Augustine's Confessions course that I really liked but since that time became a member of the Catholic Answers Forum. Thought I would pose the question here.

I would love to hear from others as well. Please advise.

I know the Philosphy of Mind was good.

Also one on Mindfulness Meditation

I enjoyed the Lives of Great Christians. For something not related to religion, the How to Listen to Music ones are very good.

Is there a position from someone from the Staff?

[quote="RCbkr, post:5, topic:319178"]
I enjoyed the Lives of Great Christians. For something not related to religion, the How to Listen to Music ones are very good.

[/quote]

The music ones Robert Greenberg teaches? Yes they are my very favorite of all the Great Courses, I have taken many of his courses and they are all consistently excellent. He has a great sense of humor, a great teaching style and a lot of knowledge!

[quote="jrotiker, post:3, topic:319178"]
I have completed a St Augustine's Confessions course that I really liked but since that time became a member of the Catholic Answers Forum. Thought I would pose the question here.

I would love to hear from others as well. Please advise.

[/quote]

I took that one too, it was a great introduction to Augustine.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.