The Grocery Game dot com

Is anybody familiar with this site?

www.thegrocerygame.com

I just heard of it and was thinking of trying it out…

Apparently this site helps you match coupons with other store specials at your local store to maximize savings.

The video on the site shows $177 worth of groceries purchased for $41.

That’s got my interest!!

:shrug:

My family did a free trial with them, but we didn’t see any savings. We didn’t buy most of the items with good coupons/sales (things like gummy bears and instant oatmeal, for example).

Not saying it wouldn’t work for others, but it just didn’t work for us. Too bad they don’t have coupons on things like milk, produce/fruit, and fresh meat/seafood. Now that would’ve been helpful for us. :smiley:

Agreed!!

I think a bunch of the saving come from paper products and health and beauty items. Most people skip the conveniance stores in their trial and miss out on alot of free toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, etc.

Saving on these items (that hopefully many people buy anyway :slight_smile: ) leave alot of the budget open to buying more produce and healthy stuff. Also, there seem to be more organic coupons starting up and for people that don’t buy it now because it’s too expensive it’s like a party when the organic products go on sale and there is a coupon for it too.

Granted, I’m not registered with Grocery Game yet, but I’ve read tons of posts on their message board, and I plan on doing their trial in the next few weeks. One big tip from them (grocery gamers) it to get the trial for ALL the stores in your area even though you don’t usually ever shop at them. The trial is the same price for all the stores as it is for one, you might be very suprised at the deals you can get.

Also you see more savings if you’ve already collected some coupons from the last few weeks before signing up. Oh, and don’t underestimate the selection of online coupons, online rebates and signing up with manufacturer websites.

Hmmm…I sound like and advertisement but I’m pretty excited about when I start with them! :smiley:

This may be true but I don’t plan on using all the stores all the time - for one thing, the fee goes up the more stores you have. Secondly, I don’t have time to visit 3, 4, or 5 different stores on a weekly basis. I’d prefer to focus on 1, maybe 2 stores.

Sounds like this won’t optimize my savings though…:confused:

I guess that would really depend on where your stores are located.
I have 3 conveniance stores and one grocery store available in my zip code area. I plan on signing up for all the stores during the trial period and testing out which ones are worth going to and which ones aren’t.
I’m pretty sure that I’m definitely going to start going to one particular conveniance store just based on the customer card my fiance recently acquired for us (so far I’ve already started to see more savings by that alone)
And I’m going to definitly use the grocery store with it’s customer card.

When my trial expires then I’ll pare down my stores to the ones I feel I need.

My friends and family are all actually waiting on me to start my trial because they are going to check out my reciepts and see if they want to try also. If you guys like, I’ll update you on my experiance. But it won’t be for another week or so.

I went ahead and started today. Tomorrow, Sunday, I’m to clip the coupons out of the paper and refer to The List to see what to take advantage of this week.

The site does say that it takes about 12 week before you start to see a really big difference (hundreds$$) b/c you will be stockpiling. After 12 weeks you’ll have stock piled enough to need less on a weekly basis…

We’ll see…:shrug:

Please let us know how it’s going.

I’m going to register with them as soon as I can occupy my new place. I don’t want to buy a bunch of food that I’m going to have end up transporting in addition to all the other things I have to move.

But I’m already utilizing some of their Hot Tips and Saving techniques.

I’ll keep you posted on this thread. Sunday I’ll be dashing out for more coupons and print off the new lists. We’ll see.

I did buy milk today for $1.99/gallon. No coupons involved.

I wish this would work in my area. I entered my ZIP and the only store that showed up was a Walgreens 20 miles away. :frowning:

hotcouponworld.com is THE BEST couponing/savings website I’ve found.

I’ve been couponing for a year now with strategies at hotcouponworld. That website is free and the forums are broken down into stores. There’s something for everyone there.

Like a poster above said, the biggest savings are going to be in health and beauty aids (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, medicines, etc.) BUT there are some great deals on food too. For instance, if your grocery store doubles or triples coupons and the bags of Fresh Express salads go on sale for $1.25 and you’ve got a .50 cent off coupon, you’ve got yourself a bag of salad for .25 cents.

Also, a lot of your savings success will depend on how much you stockpile. My grocery list doesn’t look like an average grocery list because I don’t buy anything unless it’s on sale. So if I’m making tacos this week and there’s no sale on ground meat, that’s ok because I’ve got 10 packages of ground turkey in my freezer already from previous sales.

A warning, couponing in this fashion can be time consuming. So if you want to start out doing it I would choose two stores in your area that you frequent (1 grocery store and 1 drug store for instance) and scour their sale ads each week and match the sale items up with the coupons that you have.

You can find extra coupons in Starbuck’s on Sunday mornings, at the library there are usually coupon exchange boxes, ask your family and friends to save them for you, etc.

It takes a while to get the hang of it but we have saved a lot of money in the past year. I was on the verge of needing a part time job because our grocery bills were about $200 a week, now they’re maybe $50 a week for a family of 4.

Thanks catholicpumpkin!

I actually ran into someone at the grocery store today who mentioned this site as well.

It is free whereas thegrocerygame.com charges a fee, albeit a very small one.

The only difference I can tell is that thegrocerygame.com does all the work for you … matches the current coupons to current store sales in your area and makes your shopping list for you…one for each store.

They even color code your lists so you can tell whether it’s a good deal, a great deal, or even free after the coupon. So you don’t even have to think. That’s what attracted me to it.

It looks like at hotcouponworld.com that they will give you the store sales, but you have to go back and match up your coupons yourself and calculate which are the good deals, great deals, etc.

Is this right? :confused:

Teach me, oh wise couponer, more about hotcouponworld!!:smiley: :slight_smile:

The key to all of this is to stockpile all the coupons you can. Today, I got 18 bottles of Powerade for FREE because I had 18 coupons. They were on sale for .79 and I had $1 off coupons. It can be done, but it is a lot of work!!

Cool… this is my kind of thread :slight_smile:
I’m a coupon clipper too. I wonder, though, where do you guys get all your coupons from? How do you stockpile? I get the Sunday paper, I get some in the mail, and I will grab coupons off displays/coupon dispensers etc… but I often only have one coupon of whatever I need, so even if it is on sale, I can usually only combine it with one coupon.

BTW, this is what I usually do. I have my grocery list of what I need, and then I look through the grocery store/pharmacy/convenience store etc sale flyers that come in the paper and see if what I need is on sale anywhere, and I also just look to see if they have anything we use on sale, even if I don’t need it right now. Then, I write down on my list everything I would like to buy with the prices and the store they are on sale at. I put my coupons in the “use today” section of my little leather coupon organizer and then I go to Walmart and price match everything (tell the cashier at they ring it up at the sales price from somewhere else). It saves us gas and time to only go to one place, and sometimes the sale price is the same or more as the regular price at Wm. If we have coupons for specific stores or if the sale does not list the price (eg 50% off instead of a specific price), I then decide whether it is worth the extra trip. Wm doesn’t have the variety that some supermarkets have, so sometimes I will plan a trip to the supermarket for specific items, and I try to combine that with any specials that I cannot get at Wm. It works for us :slight_smile: The good thing is that the price matching (at least at our Wm) is good for almost anything, not just food, as long as its priced on a flyer.

I get my coupons from freecycle.org

Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find :slight_smile:

So you basically have to bring the flyers in to WM with you b/c they will want proof of the lower price?

I stock pile coupons by buying four papers - so, 4 of each coupon I want.

there is also a site, mastercoupon.com (I think) where you can order coupons. So, if you see on the store flyer that something is going on sale and there is also a manufacturer’s coupon for it, you can “order up” several coupons and they will be mailed to you. You pay a handling fee (like, 8 cents a coupon or something, and minimum order is $3.00). I’ve never done it but it does exist.

Also, I’ve never purchased coupons from e-bay either but I hear you can.

Some public libraries have a coupon sharing box, you leave coupons you don’t want and take ones you do want…

Lifeisbeautiful… that is my secret strategy… look at all the ads and take them to Walmart with me… always the day after Thanksgiving. I did all my Christmas shopping one year before 9 am on that Friday…

Savings at the end of the first two weeks:

Shelf (Full) Price: $269
OOP (Out Of Pocket): $142
Savings $127 or 47%

My WM has flyers at a couple of the checkout lanes for verification if needed. I usually just write it down on my list (store, price) and only bring my own flyer for bigger items or big discounts (I might bring just a page of a flyer, as long as it has the store name and date of sale on it). I’ve never had any problems. One time a cashier wanted to double check, so she just took one of their flyers of the store and saw the sale. I’ve also had a cashier who remembered me from previous shopping trips and even let me get a sale though I had forgotten to write down the other store name. You just have to make sure you have the right item (sometimes I write down the size, oz, etc so I don’t grab the wrong item).

To be honest I am not sure of what their policy is (whether or not you are supposed to bring the flyers with you or if you can use theirs) but I use sales from several pharmacies/supermarkets and would rather not have to carry all of those flyers plus my list and coupons (in my nifty leather coupn holder :wink: ) so I never bring them (unless it is a big ticket item).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.