The Gulf Coast and the Cane. Could it be divine retribution?

Does anyone here believe that this natural occurrence that hit the coast and New Orleans divinely initiated? Could this be collective payment for the sins of the region? As we know we have seen God exact retribution before on people.

Sins of the region? Some of the best, most devout people I know are from that region. What region doesn’t have it’s sins?

By the way, very large hurricanes have hit the area before and will again.

Pray for those affected, even the “sinners” (ie - everyone).

Peace

Tim

I did not even consider that it may be divine retribution. The gulf coast that I love so much and will never leave is, unfortunately, very prone to disasters such as this one.

Sheri

Yes, it is God’s retribution on some of the red states—Not!!

I would not want to speculate on any specific disaster because, first of all, it may be taken as these people deserving it. Also, I am not God, nor pretend to be God. Only God knows.

In general, all suffering is because of original sin. God did not intend us to live like this. And sin does cry out for the justice of God in this life and/or the next.

Gay and Lesbian Decadence Feast was suppose to happen over Labor Day weekend. I think it is cancelled, of course. I don’t believe this was responsible because there are things like this going on all the time. Why there? Why now?

The good and bad suffer because of the individual sins of men, the collective sins of men and because of original sin. We are all together on the same boat, so to say. Thousands of people died in the San Francisco earthquake of 1905, thousands died when the Mississippi flooded in the 1920s, thousands, thousands, thousands. The way the state of the world is: weather, geology, etc - bad things are bound to happen. What God has to do with each incident? Snowstorms, flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc? :confused:

Jesus said we are to carry our crosses and suffer with him. How we respond to our own crosses not only effects our lives but the lives of those around us. Do we respond with love or hate?

We must try to elevate suffering as much as we can in this age and when Christ returns our great hope and promise is there will be no more suffering.

Yes. We can not expect to be in God’s favor as a nation any more with at least a million abortions a year and our immorality and the way we bring up our nations children, to name a few. Yes, there is original sin but I don’t think its the cause of all disasters - there are also the sins we choose to commit and they have far reaching effects.

Yeah, its not politically correct to say we are in God’s disfavor. And its hard because innocent suffer. Hey, but at least we can say we are a “tolerant” nation, right? And that we respect peoples right to do what makes them happy.

Which nation is in God’s favor? How does our nation suffer more than others? I don’t think the bad luck that befalls nations is because they are in or out of God’s favor. They have dictators, or uneducated populace. It is man’s doing.

Many subscribe to the belief that God is still speaking through natural disasters. I don’t rule it out altogether. With God, all things are possible. If you were God, how would you get people’s attention? I do believe that we all need to work together to help everyone affected. I do believe that we all sin and we all need to make our peace with our Lord and Savior because we never know our time of death.

[quote=Eliza10]Yes, there is original sin but I don’t think its the cause of all disasters - there are also the sins we choose to commit and they have far reaching effects.
[/quote]

I agree to a degree.

On original sin. God intended us to live in paradise and not suffer, yes or no? Original sin destroyed it. When God first chose to create man in His own image, He did not decide to put man in a world of suffering and natural disasters. Something changed this situation - namely, original sin.

Our own sins have logical ramifications (murder results in suffering).

Beyond the logical ramifications, sin does bring about God’s justice. Deciding what is the justice of God and what is not, in my opinion, would be imprudent. It is not my place. I am only a creature of God. Being a sinner too, who am I to judge on God’s justice? I pray for His mercy.

Oro,
I can give you a plethora of sins from Biloxi and New Orleans. New Orleans particularly practically prides itself on it.

Has anyone noticed an intensifying pressure upon thjis nation? We seem to be getting it from all sides, and I have trouble thinking that is an accident.

[quote=Fox]Does anyone here believe that this natural occurrence that hit the coast and New Orleans divinely initiated? Could this be collective payment for the sins of the region? As we know we have seen God exact retribution before on people.
[/quote]

No, and I actually find this question to be in bad taste, considering the present suffering. You write that “As we know we have seen God exact retribution before on people.” When have you seen that?

We could quote Scripture all day long but the truth of the matter is that hurricanes can be explained by science. A vengeful God really can’t be explained very well by Catholics.

[quote=Fox]Does anyone here believe that this natural occurrence that hit the coast and New Orleans divinely initiated? Could this be collective payment for the sins of the region? As we know we have seen God exact retribution before on people.
[/quote]

No, I don’t believe this. We’ve always had this kind of weather, and we always will.

If you’ve ever seen just how badly this kind of disaster can affect some peoples’ mindset, and turn them even farther away from God, it makes it very hard to believe that God would deliberately use this sort of thing as an attention-getter. It gets peoples’ attention, all right, but it’s usually the wrong sort of attention.

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

We should be careful when we try to “say” what God will or will not do…from a Catholic perspective, God is perfectly just.

[quote=Fox]Oro,
I can give you a plethora of sins from Biloxi and New Orleans. New Orleans particularly practically prides itself on it.
[/quote]

If this hurricane is God’s retribution for what goes on in the French Quarter (that is only part of New Orleans, you know), then why were there hurricanes long before there was a French Quarter? Are there no sins in Virginia?

Peace

Tim

Thek,
Ok you tell me why Sodom and Gormah (sp) were wiped from existence. God is God of the OT and to this present day. God has used natural disasters in the past, He can do it now.

Oro,
We would have to see how many force 4 or higher Canes hit N.O. before this one to figure it out. The FQ, in my opinion, is a catalyst of all what is wrong with this world, along with the Vegas strip, not the cities as a whole.

TP,
I never said God did this, I had said could it be His doing. It was just a question, to make people think about.

fox,

I know that you did not say God did this.

It is a horrible and painful event that is still unfolding as we type these messages. It will have a profound impact upon this entire nation…which means it will impact the entire world in sone way or another. This is not going to be a local event…make of that whatever you will.

[/quote]

All events are within God’s Providence - it doesn’t follow that these events are a punishment

Big T,
God knew that the Cane would hit where it did. Why there than anywhere else? Maybe this question will be answered in some way. Maybe people will change for the better from this aweful event. Could this event bring the nation to God?

It just seems to me that people scramble for God when disasters strike, and for the next few months or perhaps a year it fades from some people. It shouldn’t be so, but maybe perhaps from these types of events more people find God and stick with Him.

My parents, New Orleans natives, go daily to the National Shrine of St. Jude on Rampart street. When I was home in July and attended Mass with them the church was full of the faithful. Then when we went to the “sin center” otherwise known as the French Quater the auxillary bishop, Bishop Moran, I believe, was standing at the St. Louis Cathedral doors greeting the faithful as they left Mass at the Cathedral. SHOCKING to have Masses at the same time only 10 blocks apart in the city of sin. And as if that’s not enough for you, I took my 7 year old daughter to meet the bishop and what do you think he did right there in broad daylight for anyone to see???!! He BLESSED my daughter and let her touch the cross that he wore around his neck that had been given to him by Pope John Paul the Great. And if that’s not enough for you I attended St. Mary’s Dominican High School right in the middle of the city and the nuns led us in prayer EVERYDAY. So much for your theory on “sin city” and God causing this distruction due to ALL the evil sinful people in New Orleans. May God have mercy on YOU!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.