The Harbringer by Rabbi Jonathan Cahn

Today, I happened upon the 700 Club and Rabbi Jonathan Cahn was on discussing a book he wrote.

I bought the book and can not put it down.

Its about how America has followed exactly Isaiah 9-10. We are in judgement…just like Israel was.

Skip to 36. minutes into the show for his interview…

cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/archive/club/700Club010312_WS&t=k&search=700clubepisodes

Is anyone else reading this book? Any thoughts on what the Rabbi has to say?

Even if what the Messianic Rabbi says about this verse with respect to Israel is true (and the verses in Isaiah are always controversial, having more than one interpretation), why should this apply to the United States? In particular, why should the defiance of the US toward G-d be linked to that of Israel, according to Isaiah, and also linked to a doomsday prophecy?

I stopped at “sign of the end times”. Protestants can’t get enough of trying and failing to predict the end of the world. There’s nothing of worth in that interview or on the 700 club. That old fart isn’t God, he can’t “heal” anyone like some of his viewers claim he does. If you are that concerned about the end times I’d speak to a Priest.

1 Like

We did the same things and said the exact same things as the ancient Israelis did.

Its a fascinating book. I cant put it down.

Yeah… I am not concerned about it…

Its not about Pat Robertson. If you listened to the Rabbi you would know that.

I realize that is the Rabbi’s point. However, why should this matter based on the prophetic passage in Isaiah? In what sense is the ungodly behavior of the US of any importance in predicting the end of the world? Isaiah is concerned with the behavior of Israel and of the nations toward Israel. He is not concerned with and does not allude to the United States. Why then does the Rabbi draw a parallel?

He wasn’t saying it was the end of the world. He is saying America needs to turn back to God. We are being judged and have been given warnings. And have unknowingly responded in the exact same way Israel did.

Its important because of the way America was founded unlike any other nation… ‘Under God.’
How similar our actions are like that of ancient Israel. How similar we have had a hedge of protection from God.

OK, perhaps we have that “hedge of protection” in relation to our treatment of Israel. I think that might be the link to Israel which conforms to the writing in Isaiah. Thanks for your link!

OH… I just noticed you are Jewish.

Have you ever heard of this Rabbi? What does mesionic Jew mean?

I don’t see why america would have a hedge of protection from God that other countries wouldn’t? I mean america was founded on protestant beliefs. Protestant beliefs turn their back on what Christ taught in several key areas. I’m not saying protestants aren’t Christian or that they aren’t loved by God or anything like that, but for obvious reasons america would not receive any kind of special treatment being founded on protestant beliefs when Catholic countries like France and Spain and all that wouldn’t?

I never heard of this particular rabbi. I do know, however, that Messianic Jews are those who accept the divinity of Jesus as the Messiah while usually retaining Jewish holidays and customs. They worship in Messianic synagogues or Messianic churches. There are also different types of Messianic Judaism and Messianic Jews have different origins. Whereas some come from a Jewish background, others are originally Protestant or Catholic. I would assume most Messianic Rabbis are of Jewish origin. They are not considered either rabbis or Jews by most traditional Jews, even though many of them think of themselves as rabbis or Jews.

I did not know that.

That explains how in one sentence in the book, he relates a story about Jesus.

Thank you, I learned something.

God bless you.

You’re very welcome, and much thanks.

I read Rabbi Cahn’s book on a Chicago to Las Vegas flight, and could not put it down. Being the niece of several family attorneys and historians, I was aware of Ground Zero being the original US capital per George Washington. I believe we are under God’s just judgement and we are majorly screwing up. I would highly recommend this book, but please use discernment and prayer as its quite shocking and could cause fear.

I

ts important because of the way America was founded unlike any other nation… ‘Under God.’

Hardly the case. Here are the opening words of the Irish Proclamation of Indpendence for example:-

The Provisional Government
of the
Irish Republic
To the people of Ireland.

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

And from towards the end of that document:-

We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God, Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, inhumanity, or rapine. In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called.

And I am sure there are people from many other nations here who could find similar examples from the history of the lands they come from.

That doesn’t seem to be true. The first capital, under the current US Constitution, was located in what used to be New York’s City Hall. It was located about three blocks from where the World Trade Center is located.

senate.gov/reference/reference_item/Nine_Capitals_of_the_United_States.htm

Moreover, the US Consitution (Article I, Section 8) specifies that the permanent capital be built in a location which is not part of a state. George Washington, as President, selected what is now the District of Columbia

smithsonianmag.com/travel/destination-hunter/north-america/united-states/east/washington-dc/washingtondc-history-heritage.html

Just watched the video The Isaiah 9:10 Judgement. I think Jonathan Cahn is a little loose with the parallels he draws between Ancient Israel & the U.S… His suppositions as to God’s purpose for the U.S. is subjective (obviously).
It’s interesting but I’m not sure I’d put much stock in it.
I do agree that the U.S. has taken many ‘wrong turns’ in the past, i.e. “taking God out of school & government”; abortion; homosexual marriage; etc…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.