The Healing of the Gerasene Demoniac ( Mark 5;1-20 )

In the Gospel of Mark 5:1-20 Jesus travels to the territory of the Gerasenes and has an encounter with a man dwelling at the tombs. Due to the many unclean spirits that possesed him no one could restrain him. The Gospel states “Catching sight of Jesus from a distance, he ran up and prostrated himself before him,”
My question is was it the unclean spirits that possesed the man who was prostrating before Jesus or was it the man himself who prostrating before Jesus. I do realize that it may also have been both. It just struck me that even the unclean spirits prostrate befor Jesus. :signofcross:

William Joseph

It was the man physically, but the unclean spirit had control of the man’s body.
The bigger part of the story is in verse 7:

7*¶ and crying out with a loud voice, he said, “What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me.”

Showing that even evil spirits recognize Jesus as the Son of God, and therefore, just merely “believing” Jesus to be God makes one righteous, but rather it takes believe and faithfulness in following the will of God.

Therefore, we should be weary of anyone claiming to believe in Jesus, because belief does not automatically prove their love, and willingness to submit to God!

Peace and Prayers.

The Holy Bible. (2006). (Revised Standard Version; Second Catholic Edition., Mk 5:7). San Francisco: Ignatius Press.

The spirits also knew that Jesus had absolute power over them, witness Mark 1:24, Luke 4:34… So they begged to be cast into the herd of swine. Yet, look at what Jesus told the grateful man, who was once again in control of his senses, and wanted to follow Jesus:

"So he embarked on the boat; and as he did so the man who had been possessed was eager to go with him, 19 but Jesus would not give him leave; Go home to thy friends, he said, and tell them all that the Lord has done for thee, and what great mercy he shewed thee. 20 So he went back and began to spread word in Decapolis of what Jesus had done for him; and all wondered at it. (Mark 5:18-20)

The first lay evangelist?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.