The Health Benefit of Prayer

I thought I would post something many people would find interesting!

Prayer actually increases one’s health, and generally lengthens the lifespan!
You heard me correctly :slight_smile:

It lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, and in some cases, cure diseases by strengthening the immune system, very much like faith healing! :thumbsup:

Its cool how God ties in hidden benefits to obedience to him:
I thought many of you would find that fascinating, and very uplifting.

[SIGN]God Gives Us The Best![/SIGN]

Have a wonderful day and God bless you all!

Thanks for sharing this. I know some research was done that showed people heal more quickly after surgery if prayed for.

Thank you, Anthony!

This is AWESOME!

Wishful thinking and is this benefit only for Christians, or do Scientologists and Hindus also benefit when they pray to their Gods?

Study, after study, after study, shows quite simply that intercessory prayers have absolutely no benefit.

boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2005/07/25/a_prayer_for_health/

**‘Over a six-month period, the study found no difference in serious side effects, death rate, or readmissions between the patients who had received prayers and those who did not.’

A review of 17 past studies of ''distant healing," published in 2003 by a British researcher, found no significant effect for prayer or other healing methods.**

My friend, I wonder if all the crutches and prostetics which hang in the Grotto at Lourdes… are the product of wishful thinking? I wonder, too… if the medical records of confirmed healings are also products of wishful thinking? The link below, has a couple of accounts. But there are many more. And many which are never reported.

olrl.org/stories/lourdes.shtml

And here is a more recent healing…

catholicnewsagency.com/resource.php?n=815

Every relegion, even those that worship different Gods, profess miracles. Lourdes, there have been less than 70 confirmed miracles, among the millions, upon millions of visitors. That is called coincidence and certainly not divine action.

Speak to any faith healing protestant and they will tell you about the hundreds, if not thousands of miraculous cures in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord.

Frauds, every single one of them and if not outright fraud, then misconstrued coincidence.

“For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.”

I wish you peace. :slight_smile:

When amputee’s miraculously grow back normal looking and perfectly functioning limbs…then I’ll pay attention.

Perhaps if God spent more time re-growing peoples missing limbs and less time healing arthritis and back pain ( ailments no one can see), maybe there’d be more believers in the world and certainly more people with all of their limbs. :thumbsup:

I find it sad that you think like this. Miracles are found in everyday life…life itself is a miracle. I can’t make you believe. I believe with all my heart and soul though!!! I know that when I am stressed, prayer relaxes me. It brings me profound comfort and feelings of love. I could go on and on but it won’t change what you believe so I will leave you with a favorite quote of mine…“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is.”:signofcross:

Dear “phantasm”… then, I would suggest that you do some intense research into the miracles of Lourdes. I attempted to interest you in it. But I failed. :frowning: I can’t force you to believe either. All I can do is suggest that you do indepth research on your own. I would suggest contacting the Lourdes Center at:

The Marist Fathers’
The Lourdes Center
Box 15575
698 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02215-2594

And perhaps, they can put you in touch with the Lourdes Medical Bureau in Lourdes, France. There have been some truly astounding, well documented miracles in Lourdes.

Again, I wish you peace.

You are forcing things out. Remember, we can only pray. But the grace is up to God. God is at work in our lives. Just listen to him and learn the lesson he is trying to impart to you in anyways in your life. HIS WILL BE DONE, not yours.

Everybody will die anyway. Accepting it is healing already. Accepting it is life-everlasting giving already.

I’ve never heard of anyone saying “Whatever you do, please don’t pray.” No physician I’ve ever known has ever said to a patient, “OK, I want you to hold off on praying for two weeks and then call me.” No technician says, “Hold off on praying until after this exam.”

The FDA will never issue a statement about the clinical efficacy of prayer, probably for these two reasons: (1) Big pharma can’t make money off it, and (2) it isn’t possible to regulate it (to do or not do it, or to control how much it’s done).

Many great saints have died young or been very sick all their lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.