The Hisotry of the Papacy?

I was talking with my aunt aboutt he Papcy and she told me that it was something that the bishop of rome came up with to elevate his own postion later on in history after christianity was legalized. This is what caused the drift between and the eventual split with the E.O. in 1054. That the Church in Rome was highly respected (just as the ones in Constantinople, Antioch, Jeruslem) but that was it. What would be the correct and proper responce to this accusation?

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was talking with my aunt aboutt he Papcy and she told me that it was something that the bishop of rome came up with to elevate his own postion later on in history after christianity was legalized. This is what caused the drift between and the eventual split with the E.O. in 1054. That the Church in Rome was highly respected (just as the ones in Constantinople, Antioch, Jeruslem) but that was it. What would be the correct and proper responce to this accusation?
[/quote]

Your aunt is wrong. An example occured in 80 A.D. when the Church in Corinth deposed its lawful leaders. The fourth Pope (bishop of Rome), Pope Clement I, was called to settle the matter even though the Apostle John was still alive and residing much closer in Ephesus. Clement I was called to settle the matter because he held the “keys” of authority. Many non-Catholics believe as your aunt does; however, there are records which prove them wrong. Yet, some continue to deny the truth.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.