The History of Baptism

Check out the quote and if you are so inclined, read the entire article. I found this on the infamous St. Joan of Arc (Minneapolis) website.

I am interested in your reactions.

stjoan.com/feature6/baptism/baptism.htm

Lillie spoke briefly about the history of baptism. The actual definition, form, and preparation have evolved slowly and sometimes painfully over the last 2,000 years. In the earliest centuries the catechumens went through a 2-3 year preparation during which they participated in intensive instruction, prayer and reparation. They were required to go through a period of fasting. Since this often took place in the time prior to Easter, the period of fasting evolved into the Lenten season. It was a time of persecution - a serious matter to become a Christian. Over the course of time baptism became a sacrament most often administered to babies. It was their parents and sponsors who said the prayers and answered for them. The symbols of baptism today are water, chrism which is a holy oil for anointing, a white garment, song, and Godparents. Lillie talked about the significance of water as essential to life itself and part of the baby’s journey in the process of birth.

[quote=JCPhoenix]Check out the quote and if you are so inclined, read the entire article. I found this on the infamous St. Joan of Arc (Minneapolis) website.

I am interested in your reactions.

stjoan.com/feature6/baptism/baptism.htm

Lillie spoke briefly about the history of baptism. The actual definition, form, and preparation have evolved slowly and sometimes painfully over the last 2,000 years. In the earliest centuries the catechumens went through a 2-3 year preparation during which they participated in intensive instruction, prayer and reparation. They were required to go through a period of fasting. Since this often took place in the time prior to Easter, the period of fasting evolved into the Lenten season. It was a time of persecution - a serious matter to become a Christian. Over the course of time baptism became a sacrament most often administered to babies. It was their parents and sponsors who said the prayers and answered for them. The symbols of baptism today are water, chrism which is a holy oil for anointing, a white garment, song, and Godparents. Lillie talked about the significance of water as essential to life itself and part of the baby’s journey in the process of birth.
[/quote]

Infant baptism can be found in the writings of the earliest Christians. I am sure Catholic Answers shows the quotes for these writings.

Are you wanting a reaction to the part you quoted? I don’t have a reaction since there is nothing amiss.

However, I did go to their website and found their “Peace Pledge” that parents must sign in order to baptize at St. Joan a bit ODD.

[quote=JCPhoenix] Lillie talked about the significance of water as essential to life itself and part of the baby’s journey in the process of birth.
[/quote]

It was OK until it got to this part. I can only imagine what dopey New Age significance was implied by this.

I was a bit concerned about the “peace pledge”, which I found to be ridiculous in regards to an allegedly “Catholic” parish, and I was also concerned by the lack of Biblical support of baptism, which is, of course, abundant in the Bible.

If you read the entire article, they discussed why people chose to have their children baptized there?

“Liberal”

I guess if I was looking to have my child baptized, “Liberal” would not top the list of reasons for the chosen church. I would be looking more to “eternal salvation”, and the “indelible mark” provided by the sacrament.

This place scares me.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.